Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marty_Y

Re: Mercedes W12

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 13:56
Does anyone know how they get the readings from the tyre temperature sensor on the front wing ?
I thought it was wired to the center of the car but they can change the front wing and still get the readings off the sensor. Is it wireless or am I missing something
The sensor I am talking about
https://resmim.net/i/B2kCk
Somebody was asking a similar question about cameras in the Ferrari thread a while ago, iirc a picture was posted and it showed a wiring connector that snapped together when the wing is put on.

IDK if it is the same for the tyre temperature sensors but I'm sure someone with more information will be able to help.

dans79

Does anyone know how they get the readings from the tyre temperature sensor on the front wing ?
I thought it was wired to the center of the car but they can change the front wing and still get the readings off the sensor. Is it wireless or am I missing something
The amount of data being transmitted is so small it could probably be wireless and powered by a hearing aid battery. However, my assumption is they just have tiny pressure pads to allow the nose to quickly be swapped.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

There is a plug that connects the nose wiring to the chassis loom. It connects as the nose is located during the swap.

Edit to add this image. It's the Red Bull nose but it's the same basic idea. You can see the electrical connector to the left of the centre. It has two guide pins too, to ensure first-fit-every-time connection. The four connecting lugs that connect the nose to the tub are nicely visible too.

Last edited by Just_a_fan on 22 Jul 2021, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Marble

Found a list of evolutions brought by RBR and Merc. Striking :

https://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2021/07 ... tone-2021/

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Thank you @Marty_Y, @dans79, @Just_a_fan
Technical Noob

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 20:11
According to the Merc engineers, with the upgraded car, their simulations finally pointed toward a lower downforce configuration as the fastest/best option.

Whereas, pre-upgrade, the sims had always favoured packing on extra downforce and larger rear wings.
Seems that they`ll have a new RW in the pipeline for Spa for being the last team that didn`t use the spoon shape ... and maybe a tweak to the front one, don`t you think?
Last edited by atanatizante on 23 Jul 2021, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 06:06
Yes. They copied RedBulls the little vertical vanes on the floor at the base of the sidepods. Seems to be working.
I`ve read that due to their shortest 2021 wind tunnel programme time and most of all due to the 2021 cost cap they waited and analysed all the teams' updates until some 5-6 weeks ago in order to make a decision which direction should take for the aero parts. Something wise and efficient like Racing Point/AM were doing some years ago ...
Jesus

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:53
zibby43 wrote:
According to the Merc engineers, with the upgraded car, their simulations finally pointed toward a lower downforce configuration as the fastest/best option.

Whereas, pre-upgrade, the sims had always favoured packing on extra downforce and larger rear wings.
Seems that they`ll have a new RW in the pipeline for Spa for being the last team that didn`t use the spoon shape ... and maybe a tweak to the front one, don`t you think?
I’m guessing they’ll probably select one of the single-pylon RWs that is already in their inventory. It has been a few years since Merc have deployed a spoon RW.

The current FW spec is quite old, but they did use an alternative variant at some circuits last year, including Mugello. May see it re-appear at some point this year.

Current spec is top right:

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 23:06
atanatizante wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I’m guessing they’ll probably select one of the single-pylon RWs that is already in their inventory. It has been a few years since Merc have deployed a spoon RW.

The rumours about the new (maybe spoon) RW came down to what Ross Brawn said about the Merc issues that the`ll need a new RW and the need to update the balance at the front and rear due to the Silverstone upgrades ...
Jesus

crazychrome

zibby43 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

The current FW spec is quite old, but they did use an alternative variant at some circuits last year, including Mugello. May see it re-appear at some point this year.

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -det-1.jpg
W12's uppermost flap definitely has a different profile, the 2nd flap may also be different (compared to top right)

W12: https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 181949.jpg
W11: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eivy4O2XgAEQ71I.jpg

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 12:22
zibby43 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

The rumours about the new (maybe spoon) RW came down to what Ross Brawn said about the Merc issues that the`ll need a new RW and the need to update the balance at the front and rear due to the Silverstone upgrades ...
Understood. That particular spec of RW in Silverstone was new. Only place I can think of where we’ll see something that we haven’t seen (re: the RW) is Monza.

zibby43

crazychrome wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 14:01
zibby43 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -det-1.jpg
W12's uppermost flap definitely has a different profile, the 2nd flap may also be different (compared to top right)

W12: https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 181949.jpg
W11: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eivy4O2XgAEQ71I.jpg
You’ve got a good eye to be able to spot differences from those shots!

I’m sure there are some subtle differences in flap profiles and flap settings from this year to last, but I was referring to the general philosophy and architecture with the split tip design.

Everything else around the foot plates is virtually identical (to last year) as well.

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 20:51
atanatizante wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Understood. That particular spec of RW in Silverstone was new. Only place I can think of where we’ll see something that we haven’t seen (re: the RW) is Monza.
My point but most of all Ross`s point (I think) is that W12 is the last car that is not using the spoon shape RW (maybe AM also does has a classic RW). Is this related to the low rake concept car or something else?
Jesus

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 12:41
zibby43 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 20:51
atanatizante wrote:

My point but most of all Ross`s point (I think) is that W12 is the last car that is not using the spoon shape RW (maybe AM also does has a classic RW). Is this related to the low rake concept car or something else?
That may be the case this year, but Merc debuted the spoon RW in the hybrid era in 2015, and ran it through the W09.

They’ve just found better solutions for their car that don’t involve that shape.

https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/en/ ... 94009.html

b2bL44

atanatizante wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 15:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 06:06
Yes. They copied RedBulls the little vertical vanes on the floor at the base of the sidepods. Seems to be working.
I`ve read that due to their shortest 2021 wind tunnel programme time and most of all due to the 2021 cost cap they waited and analysed all the teams' updates until some 5-6 weeks ago in order to make a decision which direction should take for the aero parts. Something wise and efficient like Racing Point/AM were doing some years ago ...
Where did you read this? May I request a link?
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.