Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:43
Is Max available next year?

i thought he was only going to available through performance clauses?
And I'm fairly confident RBR are hitting those!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Ryar wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:01
For all we know, it might have been a done deal to have Russell on board Mercedes. If so then it would be a moot point to argue on this. More so also because Marko claimed, he was reliably informed that Russell to Mercedes is a done deal. He was interested in signing him, but he can't now. He said it would be faux pas if they haven't. Based on some reports, it is being said that Mercedes did not want to announce it as was originally planned to be done at Silverstone to avoid demotivating Bottas as the team fell behind in WCC and it is important to have Bottas give his 100% for WCC cause. On the same note, it might not be announced later into the season.

Another juicy bit that I read was, Ralf Schumacher claiming that Mercedes wanted to sign Max for 2022 onwards, but he declined the offer which made Mercedes to re-sign Hamilton.
If you look at what Russell and Toto are NOT saying and read between the lines then I too think it's as good as done.

I think the original plan was to announce both drivers at Silverstone, but then FOM decided to launch F1 2022 at Silverstone and make a big thing out of showing us all the car we've seen images of already etc etc. I suspect there was a worry, either from Mercedes side that the F1 2022 launch would drown out their announcement (and remember, they want headlines etc to promote sponsors) or from FOM side that the Merc driver announcement would drown out the F1 2022 launch. An agreement was reached between Merc and FOM and we saw the Lewis announcement in Austria and then we'll get the second driver (I'll be amazed if it isn't George) over the summer break.

The other hold up could be that they are letting Bottas secure his drive for next year before announcing things so as to allow him the option of announcing that at the same time.

That's my read on things anyway lol.

I'm just looking forward to George and Lando winning the double in 2025....for McLaren 😉😉
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 10:03

The other hold up could be that they are letting Bottas secure his drive for next year before announcing things so as to allow him the option of announcing that at the same time.

Yeah I think if they let Bottas make an announcement first, then leave it a week or so so the media go crazy in linking every driver to the Merc seat (even though its obviously going to be George) and then announce George when they feel its right.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

Verstappen/ Schumacher RBR 2022.🥰

PlatinumZealot

Alex Albon. Where can he fit?
Tsunoda is looking a little shaky up to this point.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 03:05
I had so much hope for Yuki...😪

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
This makes me think more and more Perez will definitely stay at least one more year. They have nothing of note coming through the ranks at all.

But IMO I wouldn’t want to go there at all if I had any aspirations of winning anything. It’s clear their idea for the second driver is contra strategy/test pilot for Verstappen. Bit of a graveyard for a young driver. Their best bet is to hire a savvy veteran driver who is resolved that they will categorically not be involved in a title fight. Trouble is there is no-one else on the grid who fits the bill aside from Bottas. So weirdly, RBR probably need Perez just as much as he needs them.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:
This makes me think more and more Perez will definitely stay at least one more year. They have nothing of note coming through the ranks at all.

But IMO I wouldn’t want to go there at all if I had any aspirations of winning anything. It’s clear their idea for the second driver is contra strategy/test pilot for Verstappen. Bit of a graveyard for a young driver. Their best bet is to hire a savvy veteran driver who is resolved that they will categorically not be involved in a title fight. Trouble is there is no-one else on the grid who fits the bill aside from Bottas. So weirdly, RBR probably need Perez just as much as he needs them.
Sounds like Bottas CV to me :D
Kidding aside, from a team point of view Bottas would be perfect, but I don't see him accepting if it is offered (unless he is upset with Merc)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 10:32
adrianjordan wrote:

Yeah I think if they let Bottas make an announcement first, then leave it a week or so so the media go crazy in linking every driver to the Merc seat (even though its obviously going to be George) and then announce George when they feel its right.
I see no evidence to suggest Russel going to Merc next year, where as Bottas’ recent compliance suggests he is not a man fighting for himself to find a new seat

I honestly think George is Lewis’ replacement, not his future team mate

the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:28
El Scorchio wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Kidding aside, from a team point of view Bottas would be perfect, but I don't see him accepting if it is offered (unless he is upset with Merc)
As it stands with driver contracts I would say the only suitable applicant for the 2nd RB seat would currently be Gasley, but I don’t think RB would be willing to go there

That’s a real shame and something I just don’t understand

El Scorchio

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:46
Big Tea wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

As it stands with driver contracts I would say the only suitable applicant for the 2nd RB seat would currently be Gasley, but I don’t think RB would be willing to go there

I don’t think Gasly would be willing to go there again either TBH.

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:46
Big Tea wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I see Gasly in the second Renault seat soon. I don't think RBR family suites him well he needs looking after. If Riccardo does not stay at Mclaren, that would be an ideal seat for him

PlatinumZealot

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:43
NathanOlder wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I see no evidence to suggest Russel going to Merc next year, where as Bottas’ recent compliance suggests he is not a man fighting for himself to find a new seat

The argument against having zero overlap is that George won't get a proper look to see how a 7XWDC works in the team. Just like an incoming CEO that transition period is crucial. It would a lost opportunity if they don't pair them at some point.

I can actually see George coming in 2021 or 2022. But 2022 is more likley. Wolf would want the stable Bottas and Lewis for the new year and George to probe himself with points for Williams next year. Williams also need George more than ever for next year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 13:49
the EDGE wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:43
NathanOlder wrote:

The argument against having zero overlap is that George won't get a proper look to see how a 7XWDC works in the team. Just like an incoming CEO that transition period is crucial. It would a lost opportunity if they don't pair them at some point.

I can actually see George coming in 2021 or 2022. But 2022 is more likley. Wolf would want the stable Bottas and Lewis for the new year and George to probe himself with points for Williams next year. Williams also need George more than ever for next year.
It is sometimes the case with youngsters that because they have not been told something will not work, they do it and it does. It is not only good advice that passes on, preferences and dislikes are too. So there may be advantages as well as disadvantages

ringo

It sensible for George to wait till 2023 to come to mercedes. Bottas has been playing the team game well. Looking on Lewis car for damage, stepping aside and he is getting on the podium. You cannot as for more in the second fastest car.
Russel needs that point in a Williams. He is not entitled to a merc seat. For all we know he could be a Jarno Truli; extremely quick over a lap but just cannot manage the race well. Which in some respects is what we have with Bottas now, and probably what we had with Hulk and why he just could not get on the podium.

So Russel just has to wait. He needs points. He is not worth the risk for mercedes. There is no evidence right now to suggest he is quick over a race distance. And that is what mercedes need. Bottas is ticking all the other boxes.
For Sure!!