2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Tire selection by Pirelli
C2 - C3 - C4 | 2x hard - 3x medium - 8x soft

2020 Results
Qualifying

Race

2020 Pole Lap

2020 Race Highlights

El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

This is a HUGE one after Silverstone. For several reasons.

aMessageToCharlie

Hard to follow and overtake here. I expect some sparks regardless. Verstappen will be LOADED and the hungaroring is one of Hamilton's best tracks.

The 2nd drivers will be the deciding factor this week imo.

Bottas is fighting for a new contract and will do everything to deliver. Perrez has been underperforming lately and is suffering the same faith as Kvyat, Gasly and Albon trying to look good next to Verstappen.

It will be exciting. Looking forward to qualifying. And I hope no one gets any technical issues or silly penalties this weekend so we can see a true dog fight.

erudite450

A new race thread? Thank goodness!

PlatinumZealot

Could do with a little rain. How's the weather shaping up so far?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HungarianRacer

To have the audio out of sync on that pole lap video is a heinous crime. The flow of the W11 on track throughout last year's Hungarian GP weekend was the most satisfying movement from an F1 car I ever had the opportunity to witness. I mean, the car was DIALED IN.

djones

It will be interesting to see what headspace Max is in.

I think he was quite shook by the crash and if nothing else it will certainly make him question being aggressive for a while.

Equally, if he is really angry this will have a negative effect on his performance too.

Mansell89

Anyone expecting a strong Ferrari here? Given Monaco, and Baku, where high downforce seemed to play king, they had very strong pace and I expect them to be in the mix here in between Max, Lewis Bottas and Perez.

Mercedes and Lewis have always been good here but they were poor at Monaco and Baku and I think they will struggle to beat Max around here this time unless the upgrades have unlocked the beast!

Intriguing weekend in so many ways and then we will all simmer down for a summer break!

Unf

If RBR is still a lot faster on slow corners, then S2 and S3 is definitely for them. If so - easy P1 for Max. If so - we would have another spicy T1-T3 corners...

Wouter

Mansell89 wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 18:50
Anyone expecting a strong Ferrari here? Given Monaco, and Baku, where high downforce seemed to play king, they had very strong pace and I expect them to be in the mix here in between Max, Lewis Bottas and Perez.
Yes, I do! I hope they are strong here!
The Power of Dreams!

zibby43

Curious to see how much more efficient the W12 is with a higher downforce package now that the upgrades are on.

Merc were able to run a tiny wing in Silverstone and still maintain good tire deg and cornering speeds.

As HungarianRacer said, the W11 was dominant in Hungary last year. Unlike Monaco and Baku, there are longer radius corners and more abrasive asphalt in Hungary.

Ferrari may be ahead of McLaren, but I think Merc and RBR will be clear in qualifying.

Big Tea

djones wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 18:27
It will be interesting to see what headspace Max is in.

I think he was quite shook by the crash and if nothing else it will certainly make him question being aggressive for a while.

Equally, if he is really angry this will have a negative effect on his performance too.
I don't know. We seem to be getting fed selected snippets on this. Max is young, but he has been racing a long time, and in series far more rough and tumble than F1.

I doubt he will be very much affected at all, its what he has done since he was a kid and part of his life.
I believe elements at Red Bull are making hay out of this while Max is being careful what to say, but it is business as usual for him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

erudite450

Mansell89 wrote:

Mercedes and Lewis have always been good here but they were poor at Monaco and Baku and I think they will struggle to beat Max around here this time unless the upgrades have unlocked the beast!

Intriguing weekend in so many ways and then we will all simmer down for a summer break!
As @zibby43 said, the track surface is much different from Monaco and Baku. The Hungaroring is much more abrasive than those street circuits.

Sieper

I fear the same as in Silverstone can happen. We have seen a really beautiful battle for position here in 19, and then later a win on strategy. Much respect between both drivers. That win on strategy might be much harder to achieve now that the cars are so equally balanced.

LM10

Mansell89 wrote:

I'm predicting both Ferraris to be in front of Bottas and Perez.