Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 01:19
dans79 wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:47
My gut feeling is that if Stroll keeps losing to Vettel, Stroll will be shown the door. Russell then replaces Stroll, and has the chance to prove himself in a car closer to the front of the grid against a multi-time world champion.
If we go by Papa Stroll's words, baby Stroll is the one looking better in the team right now. Biased, I know. But besides the points from Baku I think Stroll has finished ahead more often than not.
Nothing like a get out of jail free card, is there :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Stroll jr ain't going anywhere. Why do you think his dad bought the team and immediately signed his son. As long as Stroll sr owns the team, it's Lance +1 other as the drivers.

The only way he leaves the team is if he either retires, becomes good enough to move to Mercedes, RBR or Ferrari on merit, or his dad sells it.

BTW I don't want that seen as a slight on Lance. FWIW I think he's decent. Despite having obvious advantages which have helped him get into the sport, he's always been respectful and put in the graft necessary to improve himself. He's not coasting just because his dad is a billionaire.

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 13:51
Stroll jr ain't going anywhere. Why do you think his dad bought the team and immediately signed his son. As long as Stroll sr owns the team, it's Lance +1 other as the drivers.

The only way he leaves the team is if he either retires, becomes good enough to move to Mercedes, RBR or Ferrari on merit, or his dad sells it.

BTW I don't want that seen as a slight on Lance. FWIW I think he's decent. Despite having obvious advantages which have helped him get into the sport, he's always been respectful and put in the graft necessary to improve himself. He's not coasting just because his dad is a billionaire.

Even lance himself noted it as a possibility, when the rumors about Vettel came up last year.
https://insideracing.com/formula-1/1245 ... t-business
However, if the day did come that Stroll Sr. wanted to replace him, the 21-year-old insists it would simply be part of the job.

“C’est la vie. There’s a working relationship and there’s a father/son relationship. If he cut me from the team then no hard feelings…it’s just business, it’s just how it goes sometimes,” he told Channel 4.

“I’d take it on the chin, move on and live to fight another day."
197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 14:15
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 13:51

Even lance himself noted it as a possibility, when the rumors about Vettel came up last year.
https://insideracing.com/formula-1/1245 ... t-business
However, if the day did come that Stroll Sr. wanted to replace him, the 21-year-old insists it would simply be part of the job.

“C’est la vie. There’s a working relationship and there’s a father/son relationship. If he cut me from the team then no hard feelings…it’s just business, it’s just how it goes sometimes,” he told Channel 4.

“I’d take it on the chin, move on and live to fight another day."
True, but I can't help think that was more something that's the right thing to say, rather than a serious possibility!

politburo

Perhaps Perez & RBull have the provision against demoting him to AT mid-season. But hypothetically, if Perez continues to get beaten by Bottas and maybe one Norris, and if he and Verstappen still have a large delta in Qualifying, would Marko not move Gasly back to the senior team mid-season like the Gasly-Albon situation?. Gasly is really the only competitor for that 2nd RedBull seat, and I think there is enough evidence to show Albon is not on Gasly or Perez' level - which is no indictment on Albon's skill at all but just a remark. I just thought it'd be interesting, given Perez' bad form right now and Dr. Marko's tendency to burn thru 2nd drivers in recent years.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Zynerji

Albon may be worth more to RBR in the sim. He's literally the one directly responsible for their ability to hit FP1 with a great setup out of the gate.

It would be interesting to plot P1 times against P3 times to see who gained the most time, as the one with the lowest gain would logically have started with the best setup for the weekend.

I know there are lots of other factors, but this may be the best way to grade the Sim drivers across teams.

politburo

Anthony Davidson is also worth alot to Mercedes in the simulator. Albon's problem now there are up-and-coming drivers in the RedBull programme who are getting dangerously close his level. They already chose Tsunoda over him in AlphaTauri, Tsunoda is very close to Gasly already in qualifying times and gap to pole, but the midfield is very brutal thus he is sometimes out in Q1. Now Lawson is ahead of Albon in those Gt3 spec DTM cars. Vips is contending for the F2 championship also...

Big Tea

politburo wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 12:40
Perhaps Perez & RBull have the provision against demoting him to AT mid-season. But hypothetically, if Perez continues to get beaten by Bottas and maybe one Norris, and if he and Verstappen still have a large delta in Qualifying, would Marko not move Gasly back to the senior team mid-season like the Gasly-Albon situation?. Gasly is really the only competitor for that 2nd RedBull seat, and I think there is enough evidence to show Albon is not on Gasly or Perez' level - which is no indictment on Albon's skill at all but just a remark. I just thought it'd be interesting, given Perez' bad form right now and Dr. Marko's tendency to burn thru 2nd drivers in recent years.
Perez was without a drive and poor prospects of getting one at the time he 'signed on' at RBR, so I would think he took what was on offer as long as it was not total gunge.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nyck-de-v ... iams-seat/

So apparently de Vries is rumored for the Williams seat. Would make sense, Russell to Mercedes seems to be confirmed, and with de Vries at Williams they have possibly offered a FE seat to Bottas.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

politburo

Big Tea wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 14:06
politburo wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 12:40
Perez was without a drive and poor prospects of getting one at the time he 'signed on' at RBR, so I would think he took what was on offer as long as it was not total gunge.
I hope for him his agent/lawyer did the due diligence, perhaps not since it like a "1-year prove it" type deal and if they haven't signed him up already for 2022 then this is easily Perez'most important race of the season. If Bottas finishes ahead of him (podium) this weekend, by 2 or 3 places with like a McLaren and/or Ferrari in between and then Verstappen/Hamilton wins - it could be curtains for Perez given how infamous Marko is for his ruthlessness. If Perez can't be ahead of slightly inferior cars (on paper) like the McLaren whilst his teammate is gunning out in front it could be bad, the break is 4 weeks and that is a long layoff 'til you can prove yourself again...

jumpingfish

So if Russel to Mercedes, then Bottas is moving to Alfa Romeo to replace Kimi?

Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 01:21

So apparently de Vries is rumored for the Williams seat. Would make sense, Russell to Mercedes seems to be confirmed, and with de Vries at Williams they have possibly offered a FE seat to Bottas.
The question is whether Bottas wants to keep racing or whether he's happy to bank the millions he's already got and go enjoy life with his family. He'll be 32yo next month, not a bad age to go off and do lots of stuff you enjoy doing safe in the knowledge that a bit of careful investment will keep you in a good financial place for the rest of your life.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ryar

wesley123 wrote:

Mercedes wants to steal some of the thunder away from Max, by bringing another Dutch in their own camp to lure away some crowd support. :)
Hakuna Matata!

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:36
wesley123 wrote:

The question is whether Bottas wants to keep racing or whether he's happy to bank the millions he's already got and go enjoy life with his family. He'll be 32yo next month, not a bad age to go off and do lots of stuff you enjoy doing safe in the knowledge that a bit of careful investment will keep you in a good financial place for the rest of your life.
Maybe go do some touring car or endurance racing on the side too.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Ryar wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:54
wesley123 wrote:

Mercedes wants to steal some of the thunder away from Max, by bringing another Dutch in their own camp to lure away some crowd support. :)
They should definitely try and get him a drive at McLaren!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️