2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

wowgr8

To me this is all about power. Red Bull are taking a stand and trying to pressure the FIA in case anything else happens in the future. I'm sure they knew nothing would come of the appeal but I doubt that was their goal, it seems to be about defacing Mercedes image more than anything, and more power to Red Bull for that. Mercedes are a political juggernaut and this is a different team taking a stand against that

dans79

wowgr8 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 21:30
To me this is all about power. Red Bull are taking a stand and trying to pressure the FIA in case anything else happens in the future. I'm sure they knew nothing would come of the appeal but I doubt that was their goal, it seems to be about defacing Mercedes image more than anything, and more power to Red Bull for that. Mercedes are a political juggernaut and this is a different team taking a stand against that

Look at the last paragraph. It sounds like they took it to far and where accusing the stewards of something.

197 104 103 7

bosyber

As people picked up on in the Mercedes thread: that run from Albon on Jul. 22 apparently was an official Pirelli tyre-test, ie. those tests that Pirelli tries to make sure no team gets any extra use out of doing etc. (after _that_ secretish tyre test). And Red Bull used it for this, in the end frivolous, use? Call it clever or cheeky, or, as I am sure some other teams will, troubling (or worse); I doubt Pirelli will be happy about that either.

Also, the wording of the stewards is interesting there too, 'some concern' does not have to mean they find it something they would have liked to look into, it might equally mean 'given your attempt at appeal provided nothing new, essentially wasting all of our times, but also with some allegations that we really don't like to read as they are not backed up by anything new. And yes, the Merc. statement makes it pretty clear the race ban talk and HAM intending to crash featured in some way there. Personally to me that reads as: had we looked at your appeal, you might well have been looking at a 'bringing sport into disrepute' claim _against_ the team.

Jolle

wowgr8 wrote:
Speaking out against a teams influence is one thing (but remember that both Liberty and the FIA is loaded with ex-Ferrari management, not Mercedes), trying to discredit a fellow competitor is something completely else (what it looks like they are doing according to the last paragraph of the verdict and Mercedes reaction).

dans79

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 21:35
Speaking out against a teams influence is one thing (but remember that both Liberty and the FIA is loaded with ex-Ferrari management, not Mercedes), trying to discredit a fellow competitor is something completely else (what it looks like they are doing according to the last paragraph of the verdict and Mercedes reaction).
Depending on what was written, Merc could probably sue redbull for defamation.
197 104 103 7

paulo_f1

Personally, considering what Horner & Matteschitz came out with in the post race interviews, I'm surprised they aren't being looked at for bringing the sport into disrepute anyway. Lucky Max Mosley isn't around any more :)

wowgr8

Jolle wrote:

Remember Red Bull will have consulted very expensive lawyers to cook up their appeal, they know exactly what they're doing and why. It seems to me like they were aiming for the stars (claiming it was intentional) to try and sow the seeds of doubt in the FIA's mind in case there's a repeat of such an incident. Also trying to shade Mercedes, who it's clear by now Red Bull don't like

F1NAC

Wow they really went far with that. They even ran with Albon after the race to do Lewis' line that he took on lap 1 to get GPS data and that presented to tge stewards...

#-o

Just_a_fan

wowgr8 wrote:
If they failed in their appeal then they haven't defaced Mercedes's image at all. What they have done is make themselves look silly and childish. And if they've made personal comments about the stewards or a competitor then they've blotted their copy book with the FIA too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bosyber

bosyber wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 21:33
As people picked up on in the Mercedes thread: that run from Albon on Jul. 22 apparently was an official Pirelli tyre-test, ie. those tests that Pirelli tries to make sure no team gets any extra use out of doing etc. (after _that_ secretish tyre test). And Red Bull used it for this, in the end frivolous, use? Call it clever or cheeky, or, as I am sure some other teams will, troubling (or worse); I doubt Pirelli will be happy about that either.

Also, the wording of the stewards is interesting there too, 'some concern' does not have to mean they find it something they would have liked to look into, it might equally mean 'given your attempt at appeal provided nothing new, essentially wasting all of our times, but also with some allegations that we really don't like to read as they are not backed up by anything new. And yes, the Merc. statement makes it pretty clear the race ban talk and HAM intending to crash featured in some way there. Personally to me that reads as: had we looked at your appeal, you might well have been looking at a 'bringing sport into disrepute' claim _against_ the team.
Okay, so at least the tyre-test bit seems to not be accurate according to Motorsport-total, that's something Albon test: mysterious accusations; FIA decision leaves questionmarks.

But really, I do think that, like several other (british, indeed), reports really read like Red Bull overestimated their clout, and any 'pressure' on the FIA (a bureacratics organisation, headed by Todt, who for years formed a championship team at Peugot and then did it again with Schumacher and Ferrari), might not be a positive outcome for Red Bull.

Just_a_fan

I hope Perez isn't expecting to get too many more points. I think RBR are going to throw him under the bus to try to derail Hamilton, no matter what the cost to the team's points haul.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

I fully understand why they went ahead with it, even just so they would not regret it further down the line ("we should have done it" kind of thinking) - whether any further insinuations which were hinted at in the stewards' decision were necessary is another thing but asking for a review was a bit of a no brainer tbh.

Jolle

wowgr8 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 21:42
Jolle wrote:

Remember Red Bull will have consulted very expensive lawyers to cook up their appeal, they know exactly what they're doing and why. It seems to me like they were aiming for the stars (claiming it was intentional) to try and sow the seeds of doubt in the FIA's mind in case there's a repeat of such an incident. Also trying to shade Mercedes, who it's clear by now Red Bull don't like
somehow my reaction on this was deleted. How come? (it had a positive rating and no mentions of someone offended?)
link to my reaction:
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=989883#p989883
Last edited by Jolle on 29 Jul 2021, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

wowgr8 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 21:42
Jolle wrote:

Does all theses expenses come out of their 'cost cap'?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.