2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

214270 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:55
Tvetovnato wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:48
djones wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:32

Mercedes with the facts and professional press releases (Twitter etc).

Redbull making up what they think counts as new evidence and slandering people.

I guess when you don't really have a brand to protect this kind of thing is allowed to go on. Any noise is an advert for Redbull but the car manufacturers must remain professional. That said, if I was above Horner I'd be having serious words with him right now. If nothing else but to stop him making himself look even more of an idiot.
They are a markering company, and have realised in recent years that you can get away with any type of media behaviour. Just being heard and seen is more important than what you actually say, no matter how outrageous and embarassing it might be. I always thought their public slandering of their former business partner Renault was deeply unprofessional, but this whole saga takes it to a new level.
It also explains why it’s probably best to stay silent and take the high-road vs. RB. Ive wondered why Merc don’t often push back like with the silly ALB incident in Austria for instance, but maybe it’s strategic.
I am sure getting trolled by Masi for having provided fake racing documents, is also strategic. :wink:
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:58
214270 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:48

They are a markering company, and have realised in recent years that you can get away with any type of media behaviour. Just being heard and seen is more important than what you actually say, no matter how outrageous and embarassing it might be. I always thought their public slandering of their former business partner Renault was deeply unprofessional, but this whole saga takes it to a new level.
It also explains why it’s probably best to stay silent and take the high-road vs. RB. Ive wondered why Merc don’t often push back like with the silly ALB incident in Austria for instance, but maybe it’s strategic.
I am sure getting trolled by Masi for having provided fake racing documents, is also strategic. :wink:
Docs weren’t fake buddy; maybe read-up on it.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

RZS10

I explained it to him, he ignored it - so he knows better but doesn't care and chooses to parrot trashy headlines of low tier clickbait F1 blogs instead...

(also called a series of screenshots a 'theory' so ...ya know)

mclaren111

Ryar wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 07:37
ringo wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 07:08
Max is just as bitter as his bosses.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/29/ham ... erstappen/

I guess he learns Formula1 from Marko and Horner. It seems all three echo off each other.

His bitterness will take 3 tenths off the redbull car which i dont mind at all. It msked the championship more exciting.

So much for those who think Max is unbothered like Kimi. Hamilton is coming off as the cooler more unbothered one.
Who was that, a while ago claiming that he was being penalized because he was from a differenet color. :)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/13588664
Lewis Hamilton launches attack on Monaco stewards

Asked why that was the case, he replied apparently in jest: "Maybe it's because I'm black. That's what Ali G says."

McLaren driver Hamilton later visited stewards to explain his comments and will not be charged with disrepute.

This penalty - or lack thereof rather - clearly shows how the FIA is applying their Diversity program... :D :D

paulo_f1

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 11:15
Ryar wrote:
ringo wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 07:08
Max is just as bitter as his bosses.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/29/ham ... erstappen/

I guess he learns Formula1 from Marko and Horner. It seems all three echo off each other.

His bitterness will take 3 tenths off the redbull car which i dont mind at all. It msked the championship more exciting.

So much for those who think Max is unbothered like Kimi. Hamilton is coming off as the cooler more unbothered one.
Who was that, a while ago claiming that he was being penalized because he was from a differenet color. :)

Lewis Hamilton launches attack on Monaco stewards

Asked why that was the case, he replied apparently in jest: "Maybe it's because I'm black. That's what Ali G says."

McLaren driver Hamilton later visited stewards to explain his comments and will not be charged with disrepute.

This penalty - or lack thereof rather - clearly shows how the FIA is applying their Diversity program... :D :D
Cool story bro

mclaren111

Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 12:56
mclaren111 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 11:15
Ryar wrote:

This is out of time context. When it happened that was the catch phrase of everyone due to it being an Ali G punchline. It was used everywhere in UK by people of all colours.

It was a gaff by Hamilton using it there and then though

Aah... Ok...

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton said that giggling from ear to ear. The saying is from Ali G, a commedy.

Nice try, however
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

214270 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 11:05
Ryar wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 10:58
214270 wrote:

Docs weren’t fake buddy; maybe read-up on it.
So you're admitting the documents existed?

The documents which contained data from Red Bull running a different car on different tyres, with a different driver, on a different day to try and prove that Hamilton couldn't have made the corner? Those documents?

The documents that, in fact, simple prove that a different drive, in a different car, with different tyres, on a different day, in different conditions couldn't make the corner?

The documents that show that Max should simply have let Lewis run wide and then either retake the lead or wait for the stewards to punish him for gaining an advantage by going off track?

Those documents?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

RZS10

No this is about the old racing guidelines Whiting gave to Merc a few years ago

ringo

Well they still stand true today even if they are not official.
But lets focus more on the facts... Max was 1kph faster in a car with 100kg of fuel, more than a car on qualifying fuel with race primed soft tyres.. Let that sink in.
He was going wayyy too fast in desperstion to keep the lead. And the desperate weaving all over the track hinted at that.
For Sure!!

Magicsenna_41

ringo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 01:49
But lets focus more on the facts... Max was 1kph faster in a car with 100kg of fuel, more than a car on qualifying fuel with race primed soft tyres.. Let that sink in.
He was going wayyy too fast in desperstion to keep the lead. And the desperate weaving all over the track hinted at that.
I find it interesting and wonder if the Stewarts made their decision based on this. They had all GPS data.
Red bull also claimed Hamilton had to brake 23m earlier to make this corner. But same time Verstappen should also had to brake much earlier... It's strange that this fact is not getting the focus tbh.

RZS10

Were the claimed 23m for not hitting Max or for making the corner? It seems excessive either way comparing it to other braking points, 23m earlier would have put him at a really low speed for that corner, probably like 50kph lower - or am i missing something?

Hammerfist

ringo wrote:
Can you confirm where that data came from? Copse is taken flat out in qualifying, as in, there is no lift or braking for that corner, and with a full tank of fuel and harder tires, I don't see how Max could have gone faster than he did in qualifying. That sounds impossible to me because in race trim they do lift for Copse, and watching Max's onboard of the incident, he did lift a little bit.

Marty_Y

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 03:29
ringo wrote:
Can you confirm where that data came from? Copse is taken flat out in qualifying, as in, there is no lift or braking for that corner, and with a full tank of fuel and harder tires, I don't see how Max could have gone faster than he did in qualifying. That sounds impossible to me because in race trim they do lift for Copse, and watching Max's onboard of the incident, he did lift a little bit.
It's mentioned in this rather good article from the BBC,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58041542

"Mercedes' and Red Bull's rivals, meanwhile, are standing back and watching all this with a degree of dismay.

A number have told BBC Sport that they found Red Bull's attempts to gather "evidence" against Hamilton somewhat questionable.

And some have mocked in private Red Bull's decision to ask reserve driver Alex Albon to drive Hamilton's line in a two-year-old car using demo tyres at a test at Silverstone a couple of days after the race, and use that as an argument in their submission that Hamilton would never have made the corner at the speed he was doing and the trajectory he was on.

Equally, while Horner has accused Hamilton of a "red-mist moment" and allowing the pressure of the occasion to cloud his judgement, questions have been raised about Verstappen's driving, too.

Beyond the question of whether he should have allowed Hamilton more room given the Mercedes had a substantial part of his car alongside the Red Bull on the entry to the corner, there is the matter of Verstappen's entry speed to Copse on the first lap of the race.

This, according to GPS data available to all teams, was 1.5km/h faster with Hamilton on his inside than it had been on his fastest qualifying lap the day before. Copse is taken flat-out in qualifying - but certainly not on the first lap of the race with a full tank of 100kg of fuel, even when a driver is on an ideal line, which Verstappen was not.

Asked about this, Horner said: "I think that would be physically impossible" and "I can't believe [it] to be true based on all the analysis we have looked at prior to the hearing". The data is the data, though."

Schuttelberg

I don't think any calls for penalties for what happened yesterday are going to be discussed. Was it blocking/impeding? Yes. Hamilton had no intention of doing his lap and his presser is a whole heap of BS which has been the norm from 2007. He talks a heap of gas in press conferences and has gotten himself in trouble too for it. It was gamesmanship and the issue is that these things get discussed only when it happens at the front. What happened in Austria with Vettel and Alonso was much much more clear cut and the two Monza races before this year were a proper joke. It's easy to blame the stewards but they follow the wording in the rule book. Not what they feel is right/wrong. In most such situations that I have seen, the person crashing/blocking almost always gets away with it and the penalties are often meted out to blokes that don't intend it. THE problem is in the rule book. Not the people.

One thing I will say- It seems the entire Mercedes team is so affected by "booing." For me it's hilarious. Specially when it comes from Hamilton who's spewed a whole heap of garbage from 2010-13 when Seb was receiving it and even more rich after what happened at Silverstone when the crowd was roaring in ruptures when Max was about to hit the wall. To blame the RBR top brass for it just shows how arrogant they are. You indulge in cheap tactics and then you can't take a little booing.

I had become a Lewis fan in his Mercedes stint, but Max is right. The true colours are out and Toto has been a snake from day 1. Nothing he does will ever surprise me. To coin a term if it doesn't exist, they're a lot of humblebrags. Plain disgusting!!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"