2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer
maxxer

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:50
maxxer wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:35
To bad for Sainz so tricky these cars when they go they go
But if there's any driver capable of charging through the field it is Sainz, especially if he starts on Mediums. if both drivers score for Ferrari it will be a good weekend, Aston Martin had great race pace yesterday adding to the usual competitors for points: Alpine and McLaren. It'll be great midfield battle yet again tomorrow. This track is reminiscent of Portimao now with the med-high speed mix of corners. and 1 nice straight.
Yes it will be an interesting battle on the midfield

jurinius
jurinius

The Quali was done after RB decided to switch the tyres strategy. If RB has a fraction of confidence in their power, they would have ordered Max to pass Lewis.

The only persons interested in an hypothetical pole fight were the media, so they found something to talk about. Lets wait the race
Last edited by jurinius on 31 Jul 2021, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

politburo
politburo

RZS10 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:43
politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:22
It's part of the game, in Silverstone [...] they cheered the crash let's not forget. [...]
There are enough videos that show that they cheered the cars coming around the corner, gasped upon impact and then cheered for Max who got out of the car on his own - i haven't seen a single video that would show people actually cheering the impact.
_______

In theory, what are the rules that might be an issue for Lewis?
driving unnecessarily slowly?
any mandated outlap/sector times?

I heavily doubt that he, whilst having provisional pole, would infringe any of that - and as long as he doesn't he's free to drive the outlap however he wants and everyone behind him is free to overtake him, afaik the gentlemen's agreement only counts towards the end of the lap when the queue has already formed.

From the interviews it would seem that Perez wasn't even informed about how tight it was?
For as far as I'm concerned Hamilton did no wrong. If he was playing mind games that's entirely his perogative - but he did the same in Q2 on final run but Vettel overtook him at the end of the pitlane. Unless he did drive unnecessarily slowly in between the safety car lines but then Bottas and Ocon probably did as well, and we have seen that the race stewards dislike penalising more than 1 driver in qualifying. It may not be wrong, but it certainly is farcical. They have the same problem every week of every year, drivers go very slowly on the out lap and the all bunch up at the last corner.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

maxxer
maxxer

politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:57
RZS10 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:43
politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:22
It's part of the game, in Silverstone [...] they cheered the crash let's not forget. [...]
There are enough videos that show that they cheered the cars coming around the corner, gasped upon impact and then cheered for Max who got out of the car on his own - i haven't seen a single video that would show people actually cheering the impact.
_______

In theory, what are the rules that might be an issue for Lewis?
driving unnecessarily slowly?
any mandated outlap/sector times?

I heavily doubt that he, whilst having provisional pole, would infringe any of that - and as long as he doesn't he's free to drive the outlap however he wants and everyone behind him is free to overtake him, afaik the gentlemen's agreement only counts towards the end of the lap when the queue has already formed.

From the interviews it would seem that Perez wasn't even informed about how tight it was?
For as far as I'm concerned Hamilton did no wrong. If he was playing mind games that's entirely his perogative - but he did the same in Q2 on final run but Vettel overtook him at the end of the pitlane. Unless he did drive unnecessarily slowly in between the safety car lines but then Bottas and Ocon probably did as well, and we have seen that the race stewards dislike penalising more than 1 driver in qualifying. It may not be wrong, but it certainly is farcical. They have the same problem every week of every year, drivers go very slowly on the out lap and the all bunch up at the last corner.
Seen another driver do that just pretend you go and do a practice start instead :)

hollus

This was the situation as Norris decided to launch his last Q lap.

Rivals, not enemies.

RZS10

Yea, once the car in front is too slow you're too slow as well.

Looking at their outlap times it would appear that Red Bull might have needed quicker laps as Max went a lot faster on his previous ones, Lewis was actually faster by a few seconds compared to his previous run, so did not get the outlap he would have wanted as well.

That's the risk of trying to have the best track (in case it keeps improving) vs. just getting an uncompromised lap in, i guess.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Romain Grosjean can now forget the Mercedes Test opportunity 😂

Sorry don't know how to embed it properly. Maybe I need an awareness on that😁

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If that was made on purpose, it’s not pretty...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/f1?src=hash ... fw">#f1</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HungarianGP ... </p>&mdash; Romain Grosjean (@RGrosjean) <a href=" 31, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Look at this picture:

3 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing Honda 1:15.840
4 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing Honda 1:16.421
5 10 Pierre Gasly Alphatauri Honda 1:16.483

Gasly is half a second slower than vest in both a redbull car and an alpha car :)

Redbull's ability to butcher their 2nd drivers is admirable.

maxxer
maxxer

foxmulder_ms wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:24
Look at this picture:

Gasly is half a second slower than vest in both a redbull car and an alpha car :)

But in the interview on Sky Gasly said something like "I can steer this team in the right direction"
I guess 2nd driver in Redbull has to drive in the same setup as Max or something

dans79

maxxer wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:27
foxmulder_ms wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:24
Look at this picture:

But in the interview on Sky Gasly said something like "I can steer this team in the right direction"
I guess 2nd driver in Redbull has to drive in the same setup as Max or something
If I had to guess, he suggesting that at design time the car is tailored towards the driving preferences of the lead driver.
197 104 103 7

Shrieker

hollus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:02

https://i.imgur.com/QSXWzJw.jpg
Oh please... Don't ruin people's day with facts and logic :wink:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

hollus

You're welcome
Rivals, not enemies.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Drivers crate a gap in 3rd sector, Hamilton was slowing down on pit exit. His lap was similar to previous because he drove faster than usual on some parts of outlap thus closing a gap to Bottas. Very dirty.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Shrieker wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:51
hollus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:02

https://i.imgur.com/QSXWzJw.jpg
Oh please... Don't ruin people's day with facts and logic :wink:
People are angry because of his driving since pit exit not last few corners.

nimoraca
nimoraca

I personally had no problem with Hamilton pacing himself on the out lap and creating some distance from Bot. He did however decide to finish that last lap even though he clearly gave up on it (he was 2 seconds down) probably wanting to still give Verstappen some dirty air at that last corner. He could have just pitted. Again nothing against the rules but he was definitely playing some mind games.