2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane
Chicane

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ricciardo has reached his limit in this car. He says lap felt good but he was still half a second off Lando in Q2. Seidl was actually scratching for words answering pointed questions from Rosbers regarding Ricciardo.
Quickshifter

billamend
billamend

He’s done. Lando vandoorned him

the EDGE
the EDGE

Chicane wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 18:59

Ricciardo has reached his limit in this car. He says lap felt good but he was still half a second off Lando in Q2. Seidl was actually scratching for words answering pointed questions from Rosbers regarding Ricciardo.
Odd that he doesn’t mention his error that cost him 0.2 and a place in Q3

I disagree he’s reached his limit, many more race to come this year, I think he’ll make the breakthrough before the EOS

If not… we’ll the car and it’s DNA line will be consigned to history in December with what comes next a totally new beast

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:18
Would have been P4 with his Q2 lap. Can't complain though, didn't seem like we had a lot of pace today, compared to the competition, so this is a great position to be in.

Let's just hope Daniel can gain something from starting in the mediums tomorrow. With Carlos crashing, it's important get as much points on Ferrari as possible.
It would have been very nice to be P4 with having to run the soft tyre in the first stint.
Hopefully Lando can have a good opening lap and get ahead of Gasly👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Chicane
Chicane

the EDGE wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:44
Chicane wrote:

I disagree he’s reached his limit, many more race to come this year, I think he’ll make the breakthrough before the EOS

If not… we’ll the car and it’s DNA line will be consigned to history in December with what comes next a totally new beast
I have always rated him very high but it's been ten races and all of which he has completed. Suffice to say any variation in his performances from here on in will most likely be track specific. Yes both Mclaren and Ricciardo have to hope that next year's car will play to his strengths.

As a Mclaren fan i want him to come good but looks like he hasn't made any notable gains in terms of his issues with the car. Silverstone with fast flowing corners is opposite to Budapest and you can see the difference in his qualifying here n there. He simply lacks the nuance with respect to trail braking in to slow and medium speed corners in this car
Quickshifter

the EDGE
the EDGE

Chicane wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 20:27
the EDGE wrote:
Chicane wrote:

I have always rated him very high but it's been ten races and all of which he has completed. Suffice to say any variation in his performances from here on in will most likely be track specific. Yes both Mclaren and Ricciardo have to hope that next year's car will play to his strengths.

As a Mclaren fan i want him to come good but looks like he hasn't made any notable gains in terms of his issues with the car. Silverstone with fast flowing corners is opposite to Budapest and you can see the difference in his qualifying here n there. He simply lacks the nuance with respect to trail braking in to slow and medium speed corners in this car
But still 8th in the championship with only the Ferrari’s & team mate ahead in the midfield battle, and a good chunk of points ahead of Gasly

willmesquita

For tomorrow, maybe a set of hards on Ricciardo for 1st stint would be interesting. Track position is king at Hungaroring.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

proteus

the EDGE wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 20:37
Chicane wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 20:27
the EDGE wrote:

But still 8th in the championship with only the Ferrari’s & team mate ahead in the midfield battle, and a good chunk of points ahead of Gasly
I gave it a little thought, and i must say i might understand why he struggles so much. This car is an evolution (and rework) from 2020 car, which originated in 2019. The first car had its specific handling and both cars after that still inherited it, even if those problems were refined. While lando and Carlos were there right from the start, Daniel actually just came into somewhat designed base that really is not suiting him aparently. So more or less this year he will struggle right to the end, and i doubt he will manage any sensational results.

So if this is true, than he will manage much better in the next season, where his preferences will be fully implemented into a new car.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

the EDGE
the EDGE

proteus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:44
So if this is true, than he will manage much better in the next season, where his preferences will be fully implemented into a new car.

I don’t but into this ‘car designed for a driver’ belief TBH

F1 designers chase numbers not feelings. They balance DF v Drag on CAD systems and wind tunnel data whilst working within the tech regs

Sure, thing like brake feel & power steering could be changed according to driver preference, but this can be altered from car to car

proteus

the EDGE wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:01
proteus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:44

I don’t but into this ‘car designed for a driver’ belief TBH

F1 designers chase numbers not feelings. They balance DF v Drag on CAD systems and wind tunnel data whilst working within the tech regs

Sure, thing like brake feel & power steering could be changed according to driver preference, but this can be altered from car to car
Then I hope they manage to produce more conventionally reacting chasis i guess. All in all Daniel is aparently unable to work with this design succesfully. And if they wont find a solution, then he will be a giant missed investement. Not to mention a new driver will be needed.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone think the PU has a lot to do with Danny’s issues?

I mean hasn’t he driven Renault power ever since hybrid rules?

Whilst it has never been the most powerful, I always thought the Renault “driveability” had been praised?

Might sound silly so apologies but thought it was worth asking those of you with more knowledge if (and how) that might play a role.

the EDGE
the EDGE

proteus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:14
Then I hope they manage to produce more conventionally reacting chasis i guess. All in all Daniel is aparently unable to work with this design succesfully. And if they wont find a solution, then he will be a giant missed investement. Not to mention a new driver will be needed.
Hell so do I… but I see know reason why it shouldn’t

The problem is however 2022 is a leap into the unknown for everyone & until the cars run on track for the first time, with new aero philosophy, new wheel design, new tyres, & new suspension systems nobody is going to know what any car handles like or if any car will suit any driver

the EDGE
the EDGE

Mansell89 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:42
Anyone think the PU has a lot to do with Danny’s issues?

I mean hasn’t he driven Renault power ever since hybrid rules?

Whilst it has never been the most powerful, I always thought the Renault “driveability” had been praised?

Might sound silly so apologies but thought it was worth asking those of you with more knowledge if (and how) that might play a role.
No, it’s in 7 other cars & no one else has an issue with it

Mclarensenna

There are many comments about Ric here that i think need clarifying

Ric is the guy who destroyed a 4xWDC in with 3 wins to 0 from day 1 with instant, instant adaption something people said would take years if ever to be able to beat Vettel in his car
Ric is the guy who jumped into the 2009, 2010 and 2013 redbull in tests and was instantly faster smashing lap records than Vettel and adapted instantly.
Ric is the guy who beat Max in points the 1st 2 years together
Ric is the guy who got 3 poles to Max zero. (the only 3 times that car was pole capable Ric raised his level and got it each time)
Ric is the guy who was ahead of Max on points in 2018 at the half way mark, until he announced he was leaving and ultimately lost due to 8 retirements which netted him 0 points in 8 races that 0 were his fault. Ric would have beaten Max in 2018 if not for 8 retirements which none were his fault. Ric had a better final year against Max than the previous year it is clear as day. Yet many just look at the points and say wow ye Max eventually got on top of Ric year 3. Ric went up another gear in his 3rd year. Better than his second year with Max its evident. But mechanical failures Ric could do nothing about.

Ric is the guy who beat Hulk in his 1st year at Renault something Sainz was unable to do
Ric easily beat Ocon who many rated very high that could possibly beat Hamilton which is why many suspect (rumor of course) Toto kept Bottas on to not cause another Rosberg situation.

Ric has never had trouble adjusting to any car nor matching Max who we know see is an absolute monster.
Max made Gasly a GP2 champion and race winner look like a backmarker, same as Albon and Perez now.

Are we to assume Ric forgot how to drive from Dec last year to March this year overnight basically?
Are we assuming Norris would be half a second a lap quicker than Max now?

What has happened is that Ric is driving a car that is to his liking is the worst he has ever driven. He has to do the exact opposite he has done in the HRT, Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault.
It seems he just does not like or will ever be comfortable driving a car designed like this.

It seems it will be like this all year now.
Next years car will be totally different and hopefully more to Rics liking after he has given his feedback and input into its design.
Just trying to set realistic expectations as if we have not seen Ric adapt to the car after so many races then its unlikely to happen this year.
This is a complete bogey car for Ric. its a 1 in 5 bogey car.

In Summary

1. This is not Rics true pace. As if it was then Norris is not just quicker than Max. But would destroy Max in the same car if this quick. (highly doubtful)
2. Ric did not forget how to drive from Dec last year to March this year. Its not possible to lose half a second in 4 months without a major injury.

Rics true pace unfortunately will be seen until next year when the car is built and designed more to his liking after his feedback and input and not a 1 in 5 bogey car like it is right now.

MrGapes

Mclarensenna wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 02:41
There are many comments about Ric here that i think need clarifying

Ric is the guy who destroyed a 4xWDC in with 3 wins to 0 from day 1 with instant, instant adaption something people said would take years if ever to be able to beat Vettel in his car
Ric is the guy who jumped into the 2009, 2010 and 2013 redbull in tests and was instantly faster smashing lap records than Vettel and adapted instantly.
Ric is the guy who beat Max in points the 1st 2 years together
Ric is the guy who got 3 poles to Max zero. (the only 3 times that car was pole capable Ric raised his level and got it each time)
Ric is the guy who was ahead of Max on points in 2018 at the half way mark, until he announced he was leaving and ultimately lost due to 8 retirements which netted him 0 points in 8 races that 0 were his fault. Ric would have beaten Max in 2018 if not for 8 retirements which none were his fault. Ric had a better final year against Max than the previous year it is clear as day. Yet many just look at the points and say wow ye Max eventually got on top of Ric year 3. Ric went up another gear in his 3rd year. Better than his second year with Max its evident. But mechanical failures Ric could do nothing about.

Ric is the guy who beat Hulk in his 1st year at Renault something Sainz was unable to do
Ric easily beat Ocon who many rated very high that could possibly beat Hamilton which is why many suspect (rumor of course) Toto kept Bottas on to not cause another Rosberg situation.

Ric has never had trouble adjusting to any car nor matching Max who we know see is an absolute monster.
Max made Gasly a GP2 champion and race winner look like a backmarker, same as Albon and Perez now.

Are we to assume Ric forgot how to drive from Dec last year to March this year overnight basically?
Are we assuming Norris would be half a second a lap quicker than Max now?

What has happened is that Ric is driving a car that is to his liking is the worst he has ever driven. He has to do the exact opposite he has done in the HRT, Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault.
It seems he just does not like or will ever be comfortable driving a car designed like this.

It seems it will be like this all year now.
Next years car will be totally different and hopefully more to Rics liking after he has given his feedback and input into its design.
Just trying to set realistic expectations as if we have not seen Ric adapt to the car after so many races then its unlikely to happen this year.
This is a complete bogey car for Ric. its a 1 in 5 bogey car.

In Summary

1. This is not Rics true pace. As if it was then Norris is not just quicker than Max. But would destroy Max in the same car if this quick. (highly doubtful)
2. Ric did not forget how to drive from Dec last year to March this year. Its not possible to lose half a second in 4 months without a major injury.

Rics true pace unfortunately will be seen until next year when the car is built and designed more to his liking after his feedback and input and not a 1 in 5 bogey car like it is right now.
I think this notion of a car has been built for one driver rather than another is only partially true, not to the extend we all think. I feel especially with the new regs, but generally the technical teams would design the cars to what they think will best extract performance, I'm sure Daniel has already had general feedback for next years car, although it's important to note that the teams has been conceptualizing this car since 2019, the major geometries would of likely already been settled on (infact I remember James Key saying they were in advanced stages of the gearbox architecture I think late last year), the team would from summer break be likely concentrating on the marginal aero gains. I think next years car will be bit of a lucky dip, it may or may not suit a particular driver, lets just hope it will help both drivers

on a side not I want to compliment the technical team at Woking... we know how much front end downforce this car has been lacking, yet the car performed very well around here especially with the amount of understeery corners this circuit presents.