2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Titchener

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

sosic2121 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:40
Titchener wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:27
sosic2121 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:21

Maybe you missed some parts of their out lap. Dirty to the bone.
You will chose to ignore evidence posted on here to the contrary. Sky F1 and the TV director made that situation up. The commentary jumped straight on it and the cameras broadcast made it appear worse.

Afterwards the Sky presenters mentioned his first Q3 out-lap was 2m 10 and his second was 2m 13. Thats not the big drama this is being sold as
I know what I saw. He blocked him more than once. Then at the end of his Q3 lap he slowed down to impeed him.
He didn’t though. He is entitled to clear air just as much as Max. Blocking would mean physically stopping him getting past and it is impossible for that to have been seen because it never happened.

sosic2121

Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:56
sosic2121 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:29

Yeah it’s extremely dirty to create space for yourself to have a clean lap. It was very very dirty of Hamilton to prevent Red Bull to send out their drivers earlier to avoid this problem to even occur. It was very very dirty by Hamilton that Verstappen avoided to overtake Hamilton on the outlap despite being told that he could do it if needed by his team on the radio. Lewis is such a dirty dirty dirty DIRTY driver.
I watched the outlaps from Bottas, Verstappen and Hamilton, on the onboard. Verstappen was send out by his team after Hamilton drove past their box, like it was planned to. All the way to the line he was right up Hamilton’s gearbox, almost busy trying to keep something of a steady line because he was that close.
Hamilton was constantly told the delta to Bottas, from 2 to 4 seconds until they came to the last corner, letting it go to 7. He was driving smoothly, because he has a few seconds of clear space and didn’t have to react to Bottas.

Bottas was driving smooth and told the distance to Ocon, Same as Hamilton. 2 - 4 seconds until the last corner, letting it open to 7.

What was dirty about the outlap? I applaud that Verstappen didn’t try to fix his team mistake by overtaking Hamilton, who didn’t do anything wrong or dirty.
You haven't seen blocking max in pit lane?

Titchener

sosic2121 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:01
Jolle wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

I watched the outlaps from Bottas, Verstappen and Hamilton, on the onboard. Verstappen was send out by his team after Hamilton drove past their box, like it was planned to. All the way to the line he was right up Hamilton’s gearbox, almost busy trying to keep something of a steady line because he was that close.
Hamilton was constantly told the delta to Bottas, from 2 to 4 seconds until they came to the last corner, letting it go to 7. He was driving smoothly, because he has a few seconds of clear space and didn’t have to react to Bottas.

Bottas was driving smooth and told the distance to Ocon, Same as Hamilton. 2 - 4 seconds until the last corner, letting it open to 7.

What was dirty about the outlap? I applaud that Verstappen didn’t try to fix his team mistake by overtaking Hamilton, who didn’t do anything wrong or dirty.
Nope, try again.

Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

Blocking in the pit lane? Like, stop an overtake there when your team sends you out to late?
I saw Verstappen taking a look, luckily for him he didn’t leave the lane to overtake, would have cost him dearly.

nimoraca

F1 can avoid this ----fest that happens every other race by, for example, allowing a driver in Q3 to finish a lap as long as he exists the pit on time and his out lap is within certain limits (for exmaple 150% of his best time). This would obviously not help in Monza but might help in other places.

Mchamilton

sosic2121 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

Skip to 3:30, you act like lewis and verstappen were the only cars leaving the pits, where woulf max have even got to if ever tried to pass lewis? Get a grip on yourself and stop trying to dramatise everything.

Jolle

nimoraca wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:07
F1 can avoid this ----fest that happens every other race by, for example, allowing a driver in Q3 to finish a lap as long as he exists the pit on time and his out lap is within certain limits (for exmaple 150% of his best time). This would obviously not help in Monza but might help in other places.
Or, just an idea, the session is 12-15 minutes long, don’t go out with just 2 minutes to go as the last car.

Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:10
nimoraca wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:07
Or, just an idea, the session is 12-15 minutes long, don’t go out with just 2 minutes to go as the last car.
Precisely; there is no problem requiring a fix.

So much back-n-forth on threads over such trivial matters.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

hollus

The TV director made an excellent job of not showing the big picture there. But that's where the narrative is these days, with those two and no one else.
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

I suspect neither car intended to cross the finish line anyway unless something unexpected happened, like the track getting a second faster. They were out 'incise'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ispano6

The problem with going out early is you get impeded by people on their out lap if you catch them. Maybe it's smart to do that and allow themselves to be and cause the offender a grid penalty? Except that the slower cars are out on track first so you're bound to be impeded but not by your main rival. Hungary is a prime track for driving unnecessarily slow or impeding. It's also one that can bring out a red flag. Tomorrow should be interesting. Max will need to be careful not to get collected given he has the grip advantage and slipstream. Hamilton may go in too hot, go wide, or lock up.
Last edited by ispano6 on 31 Jul 2021, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

aral

Please note that the thread is about the Hungarian GP. If you wish to discuss events at the British GP, please do so on the relevant thread.

Jolle

I think RedBull are just having one of those meh weekend where somehow a few small things lead to being on the back foot for the race. Over the weekend so far they lost the balance for Q2 somehow, having to qualify safety on the softs. Then somehow they send out their cars just to late, not helping Verstappen urging him to overtake Hamilton, which he luckily didn’t do (being on that point in the cue was their fault, not a Mercedes strategy). I think because of this pushing trough the radio Verstappen botched up his outlap even more.

101FlyingDutchman

Two things at the play:
Having to drive at 15kph down the pitlane and dawdling all the way around to protect the tires just shows how “fragile” these compounds are. I blame Pirelli for this. Also if there was a minimum outlap time then it would be the same for everyone and you wouldn’t get this totally insane bunching up every time. It’s downright dangerous (see Austria for some belters)

Secondly Maybe teams should afocus on track conditions more rather than just waiting for the last 2 minutes of the session. At these temperatures a bit of cloud cover gives a huge performance gain. Who cares that you’re the last car for a hot lap. Vettel actually had the right idea, went out early for his second run and had a totally un impeded lap and did very well. It can be done.

Titchener

hollus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:17
The TV director made an excellent job of not showing the big picture there. But that's where the narrative is these days, with those two and no one else.
That was exactly my thought.