2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Maybe this time it will end up in the otherway.
Verstappen must forgat what happened and must do what he do by now without any change.
In hot condition I think honda will run better (cooling wise) but when it hot, air density will be low and this can go Mercedes side ( turbo wise).

ispano6

etusch wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:30
Maybe this time it will end up in the otherway.
Verstappen must forgat what happened and must do what he do by now without any change.
In hot condition I think honda will run better (cooling wise) but when it hot, air density will be low and this can go Mercedes side ( turbo wise).
Hopefully the team can take advantage of their oil and cooling solutions and avoid having to turn down the engines.

TNTHead

Pete Windsor suggests that the pace difference between Merc and Red Bull is for a large part due to the stronger (rear tyres), which would have created the balance issues at RB. Sounds plausible.

godlameroso

It's closer in the race, hopefully Verstappen gets a good start and protects the inside of turn 4.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 23:49
It's closer in the race, hopefully Verstappen gets a good start and protects the inside of turn 4.
Unlike two weeks ago, this race will be decided in the middle part instead of the first lap. Key point will be how long they can make the softs work better then the mediums. Good chance after a lap of 3, the Mercs have the upper hand, in both speed and durability

godlameroso

I like the odds, the soft tire, if properly inflated will be on par with the medium, however the medium seems to have about 6 or 7 more laps in it. There is a period in the life of the tire where the balance will shift towards oversteer, then back to normal as the front wear catches up with the rear, it is managing this phase that is the most crucial. The soft tire goes through this cycle quicker than the medium and thus even though it lasts less, it is more consistent than the medium. The hard tire seems to be relatively consistent, in that the graining, and rear tire wear sort of maintain balance. You can one stop medium hard, but Verstappen is on a different strategy, he has to two stop now. By getting the lead on the first lap he can pull away from Gasly enough to come out in free air and potentially undercut.

The question becomes what strategy you pick? Do you do two soft tire stints to around lap 30, then bolt on some hards and go the distance? Mediums for the second and 3rd stint?
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
TNTHead wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:22
As a side note: I really think RIC will come to regret he left the RB family (or is already regretting it). At Renault it wasn't a glowing ride, and now at McLaren....I feel sorry for him but also for RB, I think he would've been much closer to VER than the last 3 teammates in the second seat of RB. It's all hindsight, I know.
I got the step to Renault. I didn’t get the leap to McLaren. Even if McLaren is faster then the Renault, you’re leaving a works team. If you want to be WC one day, you need a works team. Normally drivers (outside a junior program) don’t level up from a privateer to a works team anymore, certainly not as their first driver. Sainz is doing something special!
Not been a Works Team isn’t the handicap that it once was in F1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:45
Jolle wrote:
TNTHead wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:22
As a side note: I really think RIC will come to regret he left the RB family (or is already regretting it). At Renault it wasn't a glowing ride, and now at McLaren....I feel sorry for him but also for RB, I think he would've been much closer to VER than the last 3 teammates in the second seat of RB. It's all hindsight, I know.
I got the step to Renault. I didn’t get the leap to McLaren. Even if McLaren is faster then the Renault, you’re leaving a works team. If you want to be WC one day, you need a works team. Normally drivers (outside a junior program) don’t level up from a privateer to a works team anymore, certainly not as their first driver. Sainz is doing something special!

At the moment that’s just hope and theory. In the last decade, from the top of my head, only four times a non-work team won a GP (Kimi twice, Maldenado and Perez). That’s around 2%.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
Jolle wrote:

At the moment that’s just hope and theory. In the last decade, from the top of my head, only four times a non-work team won a GP (Kimi twice, Maldenado and Perez). That’s around 2%.
Gasly in Monza last year?

Jaisonas

AMuS suggests that Merc has improved their power again apparently

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 01:01
Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:52
SmallSoldier wrote:

Gasly in Monza last year?
Oh yes. Five.

But for the hopes about that non-works team have a bigger chance next year, or that it matters less, could be… but I expect not. The works teams can tap in so much more resources then a privateer. For instance, Daimler, one of the biggest engineering companies has a library full on how low tires react, etc etc, AMG can get that info quite easily, good chance they can hire the guy who wrote it for a couple of months to get it right. Smaller teams don’t have that and have to make due with het people on staff.
This above the advantages of power unit integration. It’s all the small things that make the difference. And with the cost cap, you can’t throw a lot of resources in the project when something isn’t working or to catch up.

DChemTech

Isnt RB technically a privateer? (And, wasnt lotus sort of renault works)

Jolle

DChemTech wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 10:34
Isnt RB technically a privateer? (And, wasnt lotus sort of renault works)
Of course it’s a bit murky, but during the Renault stint (until they started their own team again) RedBull was their works team and now again with Honda.
During the NA years, there wasn’t much communication between the two departments, at least at Renault teams. I read an article quite a while ago that even during the Alonso championships Renault racing team got the engines without being involved as a shared project.
Mercedes just raised the bar (or followed Ferrari in that respect) with looking at the car as a complete unit instead of two parts. This hurtled RedBull for several years. Now with Honda they are a true works team again. They probably share lots of engineers.
For the future, one way or the other RedBull is going to miss the knowledge of Honda. Not just on the engine, but they have tons valuable information.
I hope, with the investments already done by RB and Honda, they can lure the VW group on board, probably one of few partners that could rival Daimler. And for VW the opportunity to enter right away at top level instead of having to invest 5 to 10 years before seeing any succes.

If a company like VW would take over Honda’s F1 project…. Mercedes took over their last one 😂

Sieper

New engine needed afterall:

Marti_EF3

Sieper wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 11:29
New engine needed afterall:

Well, It's game over I think now. Thanks to a dirty move. Well done... :|