2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

maxxer wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:24
ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:11
Lets talk about race. Some people still mourning silverstone apparently.

Good job by Lewis there today. He really pulled a gap ob Bottas. Valteri was looking very strong in practice. I think both drivers will be dialled in for Sunday. I hope Bottas has good race pace and can pressure Lewis.

Redbull left me scratching my head. I think Max is just not having a good time out there. The car has more pace in it but the balance is off. Must be the temepatures. From they had to use the soft compound to secure q3 i realized they were not confident in the car's balance.

Mclaren not too bad but below my expectations. Especially with Daniel. I though the car and engine would have been a fit with this track. Aston seemed to have used their strong points better here and Vettel did a superb job. Im changing my mind about his demise now. He is actually showing some flashes of briliance.

George was a non factor. queit weekend from Williams. Maybe the tyre temps hurt them.

Good job by Gasly again and Ocon and Alonso. That Alpine is a mysterious car.
Last year i was convinced Vettel should have quit but now he is solid again not making mistakes in a car he is new too. Gasly enjoying this team.
Alonso also thought he is just taking away a seat which a rookie could be in but i was wrong there too. And for the rookies maybe they need to spend summer break and sit with the financial departments to see where they can improve their driving.
I feel like AM has given Vettel some freedom to be the person he wants to be- a bit like when Hamilton went to Mercedes. They seem really happy for him to talk about the environment and speak his mind about things- rainbow shoes this weekend- and he seems really happy as a result. Maybe the atmosphere at Ferrari just became a bit stifling for him in the last couple of years. And perhaps he’s more at peace with himself as well now.

Magicsenna_41

This engine change can really go wrong.
Let's hope for his booing Fans that he will survive the installation laps before the race^^

proteus

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 11:42
Let's hope for his booing Fans that he will survive the installation laps before the race^^
I cant believe how hurt are some people by innocent booing. Even Lewis said that fuels him.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Magicsenna_41

proteus wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 11:51
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
I cant believe how hurt are some people by innocent booing. Even Lewis said that fuels him.
Innocent? Thats not good sport...
What should Lewis say, thats hurting and touching him deep inside. Come on. Don't play the 'he is good with that' thing.

torpor

Why Verspappen doesn’t get a penalty for the engine change while a penalty for changing a gearbox is us usual?

PS: Please give me an upvote. I can’t post here anymore (only with admin verification) since I made some nasty remarks about McLaren 2017 livery. Thank you

jurinius

I knew it will happen, and it is an "interesting" move by Redbull. This can only fuel the whole Mercedes side, Lewis or Bottas will not give an easy drive to Max so lets see if he play safe this time.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

markoc

When Wimbledon fans boo Djokovic I don't see this fuss. It's happening everywhere and all the time. And now what? We should all cry because Hams feelings are hurt? Don't get the point. Move on with it.

Phil

Does the engine swap mean he’ll get a grid penalty for infringing possible park ferme rules or are they allowed to change it?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Mogster

No grid penalty unless it’s engine 4 I think.

jjn9128

Phil wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 12:26
Does the engine swap mean he’ll get a grid penalty for infringing possible park ferme rules or are they allowed to change it?
Allowed to change like-for-like in parc ferme if you find an issue and FIA delegate agrees. A crack in the structure of the engine is sufficient for free change. It will likely mean penalties down the line.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

proteus

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 11:55
proteus wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 11:51
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
Innocent? Thats not good sport...
What should Lewis say, thats hurting and touching him deep inside. Come on. Don't play the 'he is good with that' thing.
He should quit then. If booing is too much to handle, then he is not fit to drive anymore... The whole situation to me resembles to a South Park episode where Butters needs to check all comments on Cartmans account and delete the ugly ones since he cant face tre critisism...

Cant see how are they supposed to express their dislike for him, since commenting was also flagged as inapropriate. Not to mention a lot of booers were hungarians, since he criticised their country and them directly.

Boo here, boo there and he will win and this will be it. There is a fair chance he will be booed again on the podium, but so what - he will be leading the DWC anyway.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

i70q7m7ghw

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 12:33
Phil wrote:
Allowed to change like-for-like in parc ferme if you find an issue and FIA delegate agrees. A crack in the structure of the engine is sufficient for free change. It will likely mean penalties down the line.
A new engine is clearly not like for like though? Is there a recent precident for this? I can't think of anyone changing an engine during parc ferme before a race without a penalty.

EDIT: Reading the FIA notes, this is an entire PU change... surely they should only have been allowed to change the ICE?

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... issues.pdf

El Scorchio

Diesel wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 12:57
jjn9128 wrote:
Phil wrote:
A new engine is clearly not like for like though? Is there a recent precident for this? I can't think of anyone changing an engine during parc ferme before a race without a penalty.

EDIT: Reading the FIA notes, this is an entire PU change... surely they should only have been allowed to change the ICE?

I’m sure if the other teams have concerns they will raise them, so I’m sure RBR won’t be doing anything not within the rules.

Jolle

Diesel wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Under parc ferme rules you may change any part as long as it’s from the same spec, apart from the chassis somehow.

Further they don’t distinguish between a brake duct or an entire PU. So, it’s all allowed and happened many times the past few years.

dans79

Diesel wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Phil wrote:
Yea, I can't see how that's allowed. It's not a damaged front wing, or something similar. It's a component that has a known performance degradation curve as it ages.
197 104 103 7