Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Diesel wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:55
Something occurred to me recently... do we know the vaccination status of the drivers? I can only assume they were (or will be) vaccinated under their home countries vaccination programme, unless there's some special programme to get everyone in F1 vaccinated?
I'm sure I remember reading that they were all required to be vaccinated...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

rscsr wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:31
Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:15
nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:03
I think long Covid will end up being massively over (self?) diagnosed, under defined, and largely psychosomatic / socially contagious.

There's something there, but mechanistically it's non novel.

The next interesting 'everything is political battle's will be between the 'long vaccine side effects' people and the 'long covid' people. I mean this earnestly by the way. There is enough there in both cases to not reject both outright.
Possibly for the armchair critics who count walking to the McDonald’s as an exercise. For athletes, the performance before and after a COVID diagnosis is measurable. For those there are a lot less variables.
As an anecdote, after I got COVID my measured Aerobic performance was back to normal after about 4 weeks of training. But about 6 months after the infection it began to drop quite massively. From 290W to 190W within 4 months and it only got better after I got prescribed an inhaler.
That's very interesting and in keeping with what I have experienced. I had Covid last year and immediately after recovering felt my fitness was back to my normal level. Cycling was no problem etc. However since the winter I'm finding I'm getting out of breath much easier despite no change in lifestyle. Hell I've actually been busier at work!!

I'm trying to get my fitness back now, but really struggling. As soon as I try to maintain momentum on a climb when cycling I'm having to reach for my inhaler quite soon.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
I think long Covid will end up being massively over (self?) diagnosed, under defined, and largely psychosomatic / socially contagious.

The next interesting 'everything is political battle's will be between the 'long vaccine side effects' people and the 'long covid' people. I mean this earnestly by the way. There is enough there in both cases to not reject both outright.
Possibly for the armchair critics who count walking to the McDonald’s as an exercise. For athletes, the performance before and after a COVID diagnosis is measurable. For those there are a lot less variables.
#-o #-o

Are you for real?
I'm no athlete yet have undeniable difference in health condition pre and post covid.
That goes for many people i know too whom have been diagnosed covid, and have been out for several weeks. we're months later and they can hardly walk up a flight of stairs without having serious problems.
i have a friend whom has contracted covid late last year and only now is able to return home - and only when under support from a oxygen tank.

what a disgusting, uneducated and bigoted comment
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 21:28
Jolle wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

#-o #-o

Are you for real?
I'm no athlete yet have undeniable difference in health condition pre and post covid.
That goes for many people i know too whom have been diagnosed covid, and have been out for several weeks. we're months later and they can hardly walk up a flight of stairs without having serious problems.
i have a friend whom has contracted covid late last year and only now is able to return home - and only when under support from a oxygen tank.

Oh I didn’t mean it like that. It was a comment on someone that suggested that long covid would be “the new whiplash” or “I’m gluten intolerant”, where some really are but also some will be applying it to themselves. It was ment as a “don’t dismiss real cases because you can point at people who Google their smokers cough”.
If l offended you with my post, I’m terribly sorry.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 21:45
Manoah2u wrote:
Jolle wrote:

#-o #-o

Are you for real?

Oh I didn’t mean it like that. It was a comment on someone that suggested that long covid would be “the new whiplash” or “I’m gluten intolerant”, where some really are but also some will be applying it to themselves. It was ment as a “don’t dismiss real cases because you can point at people who Google their smokers cough”.
If l offended you with my post, I’m terribly sorry.
I'm with you on that point. People self diagnosing based on a Google search!!

The number of people who claim to have certain mental health conditions, but when you access their GP records there's no mention of them and they're not medicated for them!! It's insane!!

nzjrs

Jolle wrote:
Oh I didn’t mean it like that. It was a comment on someone that suggested that long covid would be “the new whiplash”
Wait, was that at me, or was there a deleted post somewhere? Now I'm super curious about the whiplash example. Was that a thing?

Jolle

nzjrs wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:22
Jolle wrote:
Oh I didn’t mean it like that. It was a comment on someone that suggested that long covid would be “the new whiplash”
Wait, was that at me, or was there a deleted post somewhere? Now I'm super curious about the whiplash example. Was that a thing?
In the late eighties and early nineties there was a whiplash “pandemic” without people actually diagnosed with whiplash. Everybody that had a slight bump in the rear of their car had it.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:45
nzjrs wrote:
Jolle wrote:
In the late eighties and early nineties there was a whiplash “pandemic” without people actually diagnosed with whiplash. Everybody that had a slight bump in the rear of their car had it.
And 'head restraints' were mandated on all cars, so reversing cameras and 3D screens replaced reasonable sized mirrors.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Jolle wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Haha awesome! This could be instructive as people did it without the influence of the internet! Reminds me of the satanic panic and recovered memories.

I'm going to look into this more now. Thanks!

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:56
Jolle wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

And 'head restraints' were mandated on all cars, so reversing cameras and 3D screens replaced reasonable sized mirrors.
Oh I’m not saying whiplash isn’t a thing and safety standards have raised. But what I remember that there were many people that went trough all the scanners, doctors and heard “nope, not a whiplash “ and kept insisting they had. Good chance they just sprained a muscle (as someone of 210cm, being in weird positions a lot of times, I know how that feels).

As for long covid, if you think you have it, please let it be checked. There are many (worse and quite common) things that could be wrong! Such as an infection somewhere or cancer. A simple blood test can rule many things out. Fatigue is a red flag, period.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 00:41
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:56
Jolle wrote:

Oh I’m not saying whiplash isn’t a thing and safety standards have raised. But what I remember that there were many people that went trough all the scanners, doctors and heard “nope, not a whiplash “ and kept insisting they had. Good chance they just sprained a muscle (as someone of 210cm, being in weird positions a lot of times, I know how that feels).

As for long covid, if you think you have it, please let it be checked. There are many (worse and quite common) things that could be wrong! Such as an infection somewhere or cancer. A simple blood test can rule many things out. Fatigue is a red flag, period.
Yes, I have friends who were telephoned a few days after a small accident 'suggesting' they were now suffering from whip lash, and given the symptoms to put on their claim form. They were promised 'thousands' for it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tommy Cookers

Jolle wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 00:41
Oh I’m not saying whiplash isn’t a thing ......
afaik
whiplash isn't a thing
(how could it be in engineering terms ? - says my work in experimental force measurement etc)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 06 Aug 2021, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Manoah2u wrote:
Are you for real?
I know quite a few people who have undeniable differences in health condition too, without contracting covid, but they think they did, because they feel a difference. These differences can be attributed to psychological factors, the fact that most of us have been in lockdown, have to wear masks during extensive periods and simply have had less opportunity to do the workout they've been used to before 2020.

I'm not saying that long covid doesn't exist - I'm sure it does. But to what degree it has an impact on fitness and health without factoring in the change the whole world has gone through (including psychologically) is very hard to quantify. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an element of psychologically that also plays a role too *for most* (sans professional athletes perhaps where such a difference could be better quantified).

In regards to Lewis Hamilton and his post race condition - could very well be long covid. He was one of the very few drivers though that had a probably even harder race than most, given the strategy he was on and to what degree he had to push and the conditions present. If he any less fit than what he usually is, I find it extremely impressive how he was able to maintain his pace and attack mode to the very last lap, even after he passed Sainz and caught up to Vettel even though there really was zero change for an overtake. Judging by his race performance, there's no way I would have assumed he was in any way handicapped.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SiLo

The best way for you to think about it, is that for your average person, a 1-2% difference is probably quite minimal, but for an elite athlete, its huge.

I know Lewis is older, but he's clearly suffering and has been for a little while compared to what we saw of him before he got COVID.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle

I was typing a reply but somehow the post got deleted. Here my thoughts anyway on an unsteady Hamilton on the podium:

Go and watch a marathon right after the finish. It’s a reaction that is quite common with long duration sporters. They are 100% focused, at the top of their ability right until the finish line and the moment it’s done/get out of the zone/flow/heart rate/whatever you call it, they crash. They just used up all their reserves. The unstable Hamilton/marathon runners has more to do with a sudden drop in blood pressure and heart rate right after a physical exercise and doesn’t happen while the heart rate is high.
In my late teens I worked for a speed skating team and we saw this a lot. As some know, speedskating requires a lot of control to be able to keep transferring your power to the ice. More then once skaters that kept maximum power on the ice right until the line, and two minutes had to be carried off the ice because they simply couldn’t stand anymore.