Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
nokivasara

Re: Formula E

jjn9128 wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:33
nokivasara wrote:
13 May 2021, 19:49
Fan boost and attack mode (?) are so unnecessary, would be a good thing to ditch those.
I've tried to watch a few races but haven't gotten past the 10 minute mark yet, I don't mind the lack of sound or the design of the cars but they are so slow and have so low grip with those all seasons tires that I just can't watch.
Maybe next year :mrgreen:
Disagree about attack mode. It's like pitstops and IMO actually gives some element of strategy into the races.

Low grip too I think F1 should explore. It actually makes the driver the most important bit - rather than relying on massive downforce and huge tyres where the cars are essentially on rails.
I think attack mode is more like being given DRS for a few minutes.

Grip level should be high enough to give a sensation of speed in the corners IMO, but doesn't need to be F1 level.

Andres125sx

nokivasara wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:43
Gen 3 car to have "more open wheel" aesthetic: https://the-race.com/formula-e/formula- ... el-design/

And possibly no more fan boost: https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/13/for ... next-year/

Both would be steps in the right direction for me. No more bumper cars - with wheel pods strewn around the track.
Fan boost and attack mode (?) are so unnecessary, would be a good thing to ditch those.
I've tried to watch a few races but haven't gotten past the 10 minute mark yet, I don't mind the lack of sound or the design of the cars but they are so slow and have so low grip with those all seasons tires that I just can't watch.
So you´ve never past the 10 minute mark, but hate attack mode and fan boost wich both are used at the final part of the races... :roll:

nokivasara

Andres125sx wrote:
14 May 2021, 07:41
nokivasara wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:43
Gen 3 car to have "more open wheel" aesthetic: https://the-race.com/formula-e/formula- ... el-design/

And possibly no more fan boost: https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/13/for ... next-year/

Both would be steps in the right direction for me. No more bumper cars - with wheel pods strewn around the track.
So you´ve never past the 10 minute mark, but hate attack mode and fan boost wich both are used at the final part of the races... :roll:
I've seen the start, the mid and the end of races but never all in one go.
I dont hate anything in sports, hate is immature. But I don't like those features.

jjn9128

Gen 3 car news. It's been known for a while they're dropping the wheel fenders which litter the circuit every race. Apparently the new car looks like both of these... very distinct and different looking cars...

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

That Lotus looks so cool 8) and yet so dangerous to modern eyes :shock: all at the same time.

A simplified design for the FE cars would be nice. They're a bit too over designed at the moment. A bit like the cars of the 50s where each year the designers seemed to think adding yet more fins and some "jet engine" head and tail lights made it look good. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:49
That Lotus looks so cool 8) and yet so dangerous to modern eyes :shock: all at the same time.

A simplified design for the FE cars would be nice. They're a bit too over designed at the moment. A bit like the cars of the 50s where each year the designers seemed to think adding yet more fins and some "jet engine" head and tail lights made it look good. :lol:
You mean you don't like the Adam West batmobile look?

I have a problem with "styled" race cars... just seems wrong.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

mzso

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:38
Gen 3 car news. It's been known for a while they're dropping the wheel fenders which litter the circuit every race. Apparently the new car looks like both of these... very distinct and different looking cars...

https://cdn.the-race.com/wp-content/upl ... 24x683.jpg
https://cdn.the-race.com/wp-content/upl ... 24x683.jpg
Well, they're both low and rather flat, so I guess that will be the main thing.

Won't there be an increase in engine power?

Wouter

"Season 2020-2021 FIA Formula E campaign, the first one as a World Championship."

Before 2020 it was only "Championship".
The Power of Dreams!

aran.vtec

So Merc is pulling out of Formula E , Beginning of the end for the series?

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... a/6648187/

Sorry if i missed the post somewhere else

jjn9128

aran.vtec wrote:
16 Aug 2021, 09:56
So Merc is pulling out of Formula E , Beginning of the end for the series?

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... a/6648187/

Sorry if i missed the post somewhere else
Could be a bargaining thing for 2025/26 F1 engines/power units. If they're in an electric series they lose some ability to push for more electric in F1.
#aerogandalf

Skippon

Isn't it more of a case of, if you were Toto or Mercedes HPP, wouldn't you want your best Motor/Inverter engineers in F1 for 2025/6 rule re-write where ERS is stronger; than keep them in FE ????

Big Tea

Skippon wrote:
16 Aug 2021, 15:22
Isn't it more of a case of, if you were Toto or Mercedes HPP, wouldn't you want your best Motor/Inverter engineers in F1 for 2025/6 rule re-write where ERS is stronger; than keep them in FE ????
But they have done their work in FE now, It would not need the top development team to carry over.

I see where they are coming from. In the first couple of years I thought FE was going to be the new 'thing' and give it a few years to develop. as the technology improved, so did the likeness to games.
I have watched hardly any of it this last 2 seasons as it is just annoying. There are more crashes than dodgems, the driver that attracts the kids gets 'power boost' aid and collecting the coins gives you rainbows.

Not for me any longer, Merc probably feel the same way. There is probably more mileage in it for them if they develop a 'Merc racer Game' to play on line and win a day at the agency.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Disappointing that my fellow countryman and series favorite Evans was not able to race.