2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr.S

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

I think Binotto said 7 Tenths is the gap on an average (maybe) & 60% is on the Engine Side. Let us assume 4 tenths Engine + 3 Tenths Aero. Ferrari is good on slow corners (as quick as RB). RB will bring further updates & Mercedes may also bring if they find something significant (a couple of tenths odd). So there will be a gap even if the engine upgrade covers the 3-4 tenths gap that they have (If it is that big !)

But it will be interesting as without upgrades (significant to others), they will go ahead of Mclaren & Alpha Tauri/Ashton Martin/Alpine section. If they are 3-4 tenths down on RB, Leclerc will be ahead of Perez in most tracks (given Perez is 4-5 tenths behind Max on qualifying). So, you can expect more P4-P5 Qualy positions, beating Norris & occasional podiums as well.

That is an optimistic scenario assuming significant engine upgrades gains + Not Much upgrades from other teams !

hape

Mr.S wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 07:30
I think Binotto said 7 Tenths is the gap on an average (maybe) & 60% is on the Engine Side. Let us assume 4 tenths Engine + 3 Tenths Aero. Ferrari is good on slow corners (as quick as RB). RB will bring further updates & Mercedes may also bring if they find something significant (a couple of tenths odd). So there will be a gap even if the engine upgrade covers the 3-4 tenths gap that they have (If it is that big !)

But it will be interesting as without upgrades (significant to others), they will go ahead of Mclaren & Alpha Tauri/Ashton Martin/Alpine section. If they are 3-4 tenths down on RB, Leclerc will be ahead of Perez in most tracks (given Perez is 4-5 tenths behind Max on qualifying). So, you can expect more P4-P5 Qualy positions, beating Norris & occasional podiums as well.

That is an optimistic scenario assuming significant engine upgrades gains + Not Much upgrades from other teams !
I think Ferrari, compared to its main rivals, has the advantage of bringing a major PU update because some parts are still from 2020. Mercedes and Honda can’t because they already introduced complete new PU with all its components.
Now anything more than 10hp can be seen as a huge upgrade, so I wouldn’t expect much more than that tbh. Which translates on average a 0,1 s gain on a single lap. It might be they can use the energy more efficient during the race, that would help.
So, like all teams, what I believe, the most gain is still in aero and especially setting the car to the track.

LM10

As far as I know the PU department is not within budget cap and can develop with limitless resources.
But since Binotto talked about how Leclerc’s crash will most probably mean a 4th PU at some time in this season and how that will have an impact on their financial situation within budget cap as well, I assume that changing the PU is part of the limited budget?

If so, can we say how much an additional PU change does cost?

Ryar

hape wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 12:18
Mr.S wrote:

I think Ferrari, compared to its main rivals, has the advantage of bringing a major PU update because some parts are still from 2020. Mercedes and Honda can’t because they already introduced complete new PU with all its components.
Now anything more than 10hp can be seen as a huge upgrade, so I wouldn’t expect much more than that tbh. Which translates on average a 0,1 s gain on a single lap. It might be they can use the energy more efficient during the race, that would help.
So, like all teams, what I believe, the most gain is still in aero and especially setting the car to the track.
Any amount of additional power is "significant" because it allows adding downforce and downforce is key to getting optimum performance out of tyres other than enhanced cornering performance, which is a big benefit. As Ferrari says, it also helps the hybrid to be used efficiently. So the cumulative gain is much more than just 0.1 second.
Imagine if the new ICE also comes with better optimized cooling requirements, it then allows aero benefits of tighter packaging.
Hakuna Matata!

MachineCo.

plus better fuel efficiency so they can start with less weight.

tpe
tpe

Mr.S wrote:

Based on your calculations (I am not saying they are wrong), Ferrari has a PU that is 40bhp down.
Interesting.

JPower

tpe wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 23:31
Mr.S wrote:

Based on your calculations (I am not saying they are wrong), Ferrari has a PU that is 40bhp down.
Interesting.
According to Duchessa, closer to 25hp.

tpe
tpe

Well, I know it's complicated, especially since we saw that in Britain's GP CL almost won, but if the deficit is only 25bhp and on average 10bhp worth 0.1 (I doubt it but let's assume that this is the case), it means that Ferrari is 0.250 behind Merc/RB. Which is not the case as we know.

Anyway, any gain it's important.

Juzh

tpe wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 15:43
Well, I know it's complicated, especially since we saw that in Britain's GP CL almost won, but if the deficit is only 25bhp and on average 10bhp worth 0.1 (I doubt it but let's assume that this is the case), it means that Ferrari is 0.250 behind Merc/RB. Which is not the case as we know.

10hp is worth on average around 0.17s across all types of circuits. Theres a quote from 2015 from james allison mentioning 10hp is worth 0.1s in singapore which as we know is not a very power sensitive track. Another thing to consider is that power sensitivity has increased further in recent years with massively increased full throttle percentages and silly amounts of drag carried by modern cars.

Marty_Y

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:42
tpe wrote:

10hp is worth on average around 0.17s across all types of circuits. Theres a quote from 2015 from james allison mentioning 10hp is worth 0.1s in singapore which as we know is not a very power sensitive track. Another thing to consider is that power sensitivity has increased further in recent years with massively increased full throttle percentages and silly amounts of drag carried by modern cars.
To put that into perspective, braking 2 meters later in 1 corner is worth that too. Wheel spin out of corner might loose you .3 of a second. So really we're talking about vapor.

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 14:49
Juzh wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:42
tpe wrote:

To put that into perspective, braking 2 meters later in 1 corner is worth that too. Wheel spin out of corner might loose you .3 of a second. So really we're talking about vapor.
I don't think so. This year 1 tenth can mean 3-4 places on the grid, just look at hungary Q3 where 4 cars were within 0.08s, so all things being equal it's still better to have that extra hp than not.

anyway, here's the quote.

ringo

It's not wise to use any rule of thumb for hp and track time. The cars and tyres have changed a lot since 2015. So there can be no correlation.
Aero, tyres, minimum weight, etc. Too many variables.
For Sure!!

diffuser

ringo wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 05:57
It's not wise to use any rule of thumb for hp and track time. The cars and tyres have changed a lot since 2015. So there can be no correlation.
That was my point, you never know till you get to a track exactly what works. It always good to have more HP but it isn't always helpful.

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 17:30
ringo wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 05:57
That was my point, you never know till you get to a track exactly what works. It always good to have more HP but it isn't always helpful.
lol wut? This sentence doesn't make any sense. How is having more hp not pretty much universally better than having less? It always helps in some capacity.