2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

peewon wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 17:55
diffuser wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 15:06
Don't forget, we're going into a PU freeze. They're preparing for the next PU and he probably didn't plan to stick around for that.

My guess would be that next year's PU major redesign is done.
Implementing a major design change to the PU for the 2022 season without real world data could still be tricky. Even more so when you don't have a customer team either. They better get it right in the first go or have someone competent to oversee it.
We'd have to assume they have someone more competent.

Blackout

A Renault dyno test engineer on twitter@___keke

Congratulations. Very good team work. How is the 2022 engine programme going? because Remi Taffin's departure...

Thank you! We've known for a long time that Remi was thanked. No, it doesn't change anything, on the contrary, it's going in the right direction.

The 2022 engine is already on the test bench I guess.
Will it change a lot for you?

Yes, it's already on the bench. I can't say too much about it but yes, it's clearly a big change for us

politburo

"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

peewon

Blackout wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 13:58
diffuser wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 15:46
His comments about not having decided on which direction to go with the PU structure back in early 2021 (think it was Pre winter tests), left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Which ones? his comments about the split-turbo, when he said "we're just evaluating that solution"?
Nah, maybe he was just refusing to admit that a simple forum member discovered they are secretly working on a split-turbo just by looking at one photo Viry published 8) :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?p=929897#p929897
(top center is the Honda and top right is the Merc - both pics come from F1i magazine/Nicolas Carpentiers)
Remi Taffin, Renault F1's engine chief, has confirmed that the team are considering the change of concept.
"The simple answer is yes," Taffin told RacingNews365.com among others. "We could be going down that route… I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating it."
Taking nothing away from this excellent piece of work, but I thought they has been publicly discussing (and therefore hinting at) the split turbo move since the previous off season. I maybe mistaken about that.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 07:10
A Renault dyno test engineer on twitter@___keke

Congratulations. Very good team work. How is the 2022 engine programme going? because Remi Taffin's departure...

Thank you! We've known for a long time that Remi was thanked. No, it doesn't change anything, on the contrary, it's going in the right direction.

The 2022 engine is already on the test bench I guess.
Will it change a lot for you?

Yes, it's already on the bench. I can't say too much about it but yes, it's clearly a big change for us
Blackout is in the "know". What happened to you, we hadn't seen many posts from you in a while ? There was a Blackout black out ?

toraabe

Blackout

peewon wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 14:56
Blackout wrote:
diffuser wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 15:46
His comments about not having decided on which direction to go with the PU structure back in early 2021 (think it was Pre winter tests), left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Which ones? his comments about the split-turbo, when he said "we're just evaluating that solution"?
Nah, maybe he was just refusing to admit that a simple forum member discovered they are secretly working on a split-turbo just by looking at one photo Viry published 8) :mrgreen:
(top center is the Honda and top right is the Merc - both pics come from F1i magazine/Nicolas Carpentiers)
Remi Taffin, Renault F1's engine chief, has confirmed that the team are considering the change of concept.
"The simple answer is yes," Taffin told RacingNews365.com among others. "We could be going down that route… I'm pretty sure you've seen some photos, so I'm not going to lie. We are evaluating it."
Taking nothing away from this excellent piece of work, but I thought they has been publicly discussing (and therefore hinting at) the split turbo move since the previous off season. I maybe mistaken about that.
AFAIR thee first time they publicly discussed the split turbo since 2014-2015 was in early march 2021, where Taffin said the above.
Before that, Taffin only talked about a change of architecture and a very different PU* while Abiteboul talked about "very big revolutions in the way we make the PU". both said that in 2019.

PREPARING FOR 2022
Viry's efforts, already looking ahead to 2022, are now focused on cooling and installing the engine in the chassis.

On the track," explains our contact, "we introduce a quantity of fuel into the engine that produces a little more than 1200 kW [power equivalent to 100 kg/h of gasoline]. Of this 1200 kW, about 600 kW comes out of the crankshaft, since the efficiency of the engine is 50%. This leaves another 600 kW. Of these 600 kW, 200 kW are taken from the turbine: part is used to compress the air (the compressor) and part is recovered by the MGU-H. Of the remaining 400 kW, 200 to 300 kW goes to the exhaust, which is 'stupidly' dispersed energy."

"The balance, about 150 kW, is dissipated into the car's coolants: engine water, transmission and hydraulic system oil, etc. If we were able to make the engine work at higher temperatures, we could reduce the surface area of the radiators (thus lowering drag), or even adopt architectures that would restrict the types of fluid and homogenize their temperatures."

"The [2022] engine will be very different," concludes Rémi Taffin. We will significantly change the architecture, taking advantage of the fact that everyone will be starting from scratch."

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... ogresse/4/
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
diffuser wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 22:29
Blackout is in the "know". What happened to you, we hadn't seen many posts from you in a while ? There was a Blackout black out ?
:D
Nothing special happened to me

peewon

Blackout wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 10:44
peewon wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 14:56
Blackout wrote:

AFAIR thee first time they publicly discussed the split turbo since 2014-2015 was in early march 2021, where Taffin said the above.
Before that, Taffin only talked about a change of architecture and a very different PU* while Abiteboul talked about "very big revolutions in the way we make the PU". both said that in 2019.

PREPARING FOR 2022
Viry's efforts, already looking ahead to 2022, are now focused on cooling and installing the engine in the chassis.

On the track," explains our contact, "we introduce a quantity of fuel into the engine that produces a little more than 1200 kW [power equivalent to 100 kg/h of gasoline]. Of this 1200 kW, about 600 kW comes out of the crankshaft, since the efficiency of the engine is 50%. This leaves another 600 kW. Of these 600 kW, 200 kW are taken from the turbine: part is used to compress the air (the compressor) and part is recovered by the MGU-H. Of the remaining 400 kW, 200 to 300 kW goes to the exhaust, which is 'stupidly' dispersed energy."

"The balance, about 150 kW, is dissipated into the car's coolants: engine water, transmission and hydraulic system oil, etc. If we were able to make the engine work at higher temperatures, we could reduce the surface area of the radiators (thus lowering drag), or even adopt architectures that would restrict the types of fluid and homogenize their temperatures."

"The [2022] engine will be very different," concludes Rémi Taffin. We will significantly change the architecture, taking advantage of the fact that everyone will be starting from scratch."

diffuser wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 22:29
:D
Nothing special happened to me
Woah, thats a lot of insight. Excellent stuff as always.

BassVirolla

PREPARING FOR 2022

This sounds like even opening the possibility to oil - air exchangers for everything, allowing to avoid the use of "plain" coolant fluid. :shock:

Wouter

Alonso and Ocon in action this weekend at Le Mans

This weekend, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is on the agenda again. Alpine is taking part in the legendary race and will not miss out on this opportunity. The team will demonstrate several cars in a special parade, including the Formula 1 car.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/91593/al ... -mans.html
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

RedNEO

It’s weird to say but the new car will already be launched in 5 months or so already. Time fly's!

RedNEO

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpi ... t/6649572/
Alpine F1 team "blown away" by Alonso's race craft
"What Fernando did in Silverstone was effectively forming a DRS train behind him, because he wasn't afraid of [Lance] Stroll but he was afraid of [Pierre] Gasly and therefore he eliminated any possible attack from Gasly by putting him in Stroll's DRS.

"For me it's mind blowing almost because we're sat on the pit wall, we have all the data, we have full visibility on the race.

"He is in the car driving at full speed and he has almost the same analysis of the race that we have on the pit wall with nowhere near as much data and an ability to take a step back.

"That's I think the the thing that impresses me the most in Fernando. I guess it's 20 years of experience driving Formula 1 cars but not many drivers, even with 20 years experience, will be capable of that."

….. Budkowski has also noticed Alonso is still as hungry and ambitious as ever, and believes the Spaniard will remain in F1 for years to come if Alpine manages to give him a fast car.

"How long [he'll go on], it's a question for Fernando, [but] he doesn't feel like an old man ready to retire," Budkowski explained.

"He's hungry, he's looking forward to next year. Every time he's in a factory he's asking how's next year car coming along.

"You can see that he's enjoying it, he's happy to be back in Formula 1 but obviously he's ambitious, like our ambition is to do better than we're doing now. That's what we're working hard on for next year and he's excited about that.

"If we give him a competitive car next year, I don't think he's going to go anywhere anytime soon, because he's going to want more and more of it."

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!