2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

RedNEO wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 13:49
It’s weird to say but the new car will already be launched in 5 months or so already. Time fly's!

You know part of what I love of F1 is following all the upgrades on the car during the Championship. Wondering if with the 2022 regs if we will still see alot of the upgrades on the surface of the car Or if they will occur mostly under the car?

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 18:33
RedNEO wrote:
It’s weird to say but the new car will already be launched in 5 months or so already. Time fly's!

You know part of what I love of F1 is following all the upgrades on the car during the Championship. Wondering if with the 2022 regs if we will still see alot of the upgrades on the surface of the car Or if they will occur mostly under the car?
Knowing what we know most of it will be invisible to the eye. Only by going deeper will we understand what is different and even that will not tell the whole story when weight and rigidity can’t be measured by those means. It might be a mixed bag for us who enjoy seeing updates.. will closer racing be a good trade-off if it actually works?

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 19:01
diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Knowing what we know most of it will be invisible to the eye. Only by going deeper will we understand what is different and even that will not tell the whole story when weight and rigidity can’t be measured by those means. It might be a mixed bag for us who enjoy seeing updates.. will closer racing be a good trade-off if it actually works?
IF that is true ...it will be sad.
I think the most improved part of "closer racing" is gonna come from the CAP. When you have 20 Cars in a series and the Gap from #1 to #20 is .5 seconds of Lap or less And the order switches from track to track... When you get down to the last 3 or 4 races of as year and 4 or 5 different drivers have the opportunity to win the championship....THAT makes for great racing. The easier ability to pass is 2nd and might even make the quality of racing worse.

What's fun is it if Hamilton can get pass Fernando at Hungry in 1 lap ?

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 20:05
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I think the most improved part of "closer racing" is gonna come from the CAP. When you have 20 Cars in a series and the Gap from #1 to #20 is .5 seconds of Lap or less And the order switches from track to track... When you get down to the last 3 or 4 races of as year and 4 or 5 different drivers have the opportunity to win the championship....THAT makes for great racing. The easier ability to pass is 2nd and might even make the quality of racing worse.

Fernando wouldn’t be passed by Hamilton full stop if the 2022 regs work :)

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:

To me what is really sad is watching a race where the leader is up to 8 seconds per lap slower than possible because none can even try a pass so theres no reason to push. 8 seconds is real, not an invented number, and anyone who has ever raced at any category knows even a half of that means drivers are cruising around without even approaching the limits. Then they don´t need fastest drivers, just good managers and that´s pretty sad for the supposed pinnacle of motorsports.

To me racing should be fastest drivers going flat out to see who´s faster, if they don´t need to go flat out, then racing is nosense and becomes 2 hours of borefest. Obviously there are some factors wich still apply and make races entertaining, but racing shouldn´t depend on weather or some driver mistake to be fun IMHO, it should be fun on most races

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 21:38
diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

To me what is really sad is watching a race where the leader is up to 8 seconds per lap slower than possible because none can even try a pass so theres no reason to push. 8 seconds is real, not an invented number, and anyone who has ever raced at any category knows even a half of that means drivers are cruising around without even approaching the limits. Then they don´t need fastest drivers, just good managers and that´s pretty sad for the supposed pinnacle of motorsports.

To me racing should be fastest drivers going flat out to see who´s faster, if they don´t need to go flat out, then racing is nosense and becomes 2 hours of borefest. Obviously there are some factors wich still apply and make races entertaining, but racing shouldn´t depend on weather or some driver mistake to be fun IMHO, it should be fun on most races

I see what you're saying. That's where the making it easier to pass prevents something like that from happening. No sure those regs are gonna to change anything at Monaco. That is one of those places where the risk to reward is too high and few in the top 10 get passed. You need both. Most of the Merc championships... the constructors were completed early and the Drivers championships was really only between 2 Merc drivers. This is the first year in a LONG time that some who's not a Merc driver has a chance.

When was the last time that a team that didn't out spend the midfield by 100% was in the race for the championship ?

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 23:33
I see what you're saying. That's where the making it easier to pass prevents something like that from happening. No sure those regs are gonna to change anything at Monaco. That is one of those places where the risk to reward is too high and few in the top 10 get passed. You need both. Most of the Merc championships... the constructors were completed early and the Drivers championships was really only between 2 Merc drivers. This is the first year in a LONG time that some who's not a Merc driver has a chance.

When was the last time that a team that didn't out spend the midfield by 100% was in the race for the championship ?
What I said in last post is main problem IMO, but that does not mean I disagree with you. Actually I 100% agree, the cap is also a great modification to the rules. I´m eager to see how it works :D

diffuser

The Best News for Alpine is that barring any "minor miracle", they'll bring home 5th place in the constructors. If you exclude Hungry, they were scoring on average 4 points per race. ATR was scoring at around a 6 point per race average. If they maintain those averages, Alpine has enough of a lead to finish in 5th. Naturally Hungry falls under the category of "minor miracle" for Alpine. The number of races remaining, anywhere from 9 to 11, is plenty of time for one other miracle... The odds that is ATR is against them, yet the odds say it is in play.

peewon

Seems like lack of customer/junior teams is a cause for concern for Alpine, while teams like Red bull can split its development focus with Alpha Tauri, effectively doubling its budget. Mercedes share a wind tunnel with Aston and likewise for Ferrari with Haas.
"Clearly going into 2022, a massive change in regulations, big development slope, lots of performance being gained on these cars, very green fresh set of regulations, the benefits you can get from collaboration, whether it's legal or less so, are massive," Budkowski said.
Full article: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-n ... e/6650299/

Also alluding to potential future partnerships with new entrants into F1, although remains to be seen if there is anything substantial there.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/alpine-h ... -f1-teams/

Blackout

peewon wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 12:40
Seems like lack of customer/junior teams is a cause for concern for Alpine, while teams like Red bull can split its development focus with Alpha Tauri, effectively doubling its budget. Mercedes share a wind tunnel with Aston and likewise for Ferrari with Haas.
"Clearly going into 2022, a massive change in regulations, big development slope, lots of performance being gained on these cars, very green fresh set of regulations, the benefits you can get from collaboration, whether it's legal or less so, are massive," Budkowski said.

Also alluding to potential future partnerships with new entrants into F1, although remains to be seen if there is anything substantial there.

“You’ve got dynos for this. You can do some extensive testing. But nothing replaces bolting an engine in a car and getting it around a track.”

Then I hope they are doing exactly this, bolting the new engine on a LMP1 or LMP2 or RS.01 car and getting it around a track. :mrgreen: like Renault-Alpine did in the 70's
Should be cheaper and less constrained by the rules than using an f1 car*
*less representative too but still very useful IMO

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

diffuser

Last day of vaca. We're headed for SPA and the beginning of a triple header.

peewon

Blackout wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 16:31
peewon wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 12:40

“You’ve got dynos for this. You can do some extensive testing. But nothing replaces bolting an engine in a car and getting it around a track.”

Then I hope they are doing exactly this, bolting the new engine on a LMP1 or LMP2 or RS.01 car and getting it around a track. :mrgreen: like Renault-Alpine did in the 70's
Should be cheaper and less constrained by the rules than using an f1 car*
*less representative too but still very useful IMO
Those are definite options for engine mileage but I suspect what Budkowski seems more concerned about is the 'Pink Mercedes' type shenanigans which can be huge difference maker in the era of budget caps and new regulations.

adrianjordan

Wouter wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 15:36
Would have been great fun if they'd done a timed lap on race spec tyres. Would love to see an F1 vs LM spec race around a few laps, or even 1 lap.

I guess the expense of prepping the F1 car for a competitive lap of a circuit that length would be too prohibitive though.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wouter

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Fernando Alonso, Alpine F1 Team Race Driver: “I’m very happy to confirm the contract extension with Alpine F1 Team into 2022. I felt at home the moment I returned to this team and have been welcomed back with open arms. It is a pleasure to work again with some of the brightest minds in our sport at Enstone and Viry-Châtillon. It’s been a tricky season for everyone, but we’ve shown progress as a team and the result in Hungary serves as a good example of this progression. We’re targeting more positive memories for the rest of this season but also crucially from next year onwards with the new regulation changes coming into Formula 1. I have been a big supporter of the need for a level playing field and change in the sport and the 2022 season will be a great opportunity for that. I am looking forward to the rest of this year and racing alongside Esteban in 2022 for Alpine.”
The Power of Dreams!