2 stroke thread (with occasional F1 relevance!)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
J.A.W.

Re: 2 stroke thread (with occasional F1 relevance!)

Here, this recent/relevant academic paper (of the type that P. Symonds, F1 tech Poo-bah checks out),
on 2Ts duly includes the work of our oft-derided member here Manolis, so yeah, 'Howzat' - naysayers?

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/14/3/616/htm
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

nzjrs

Thanks, thats a nice review article.

Edit: also what Rodak said
Last edited by nzjrs on 19 Aug 2021, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Rodak

....the work of our oft-derided member here Manolis, so yeah, 'Howzat' - naysayers?
The 'naysayers' were not objecting to the engine design, we were pointing out obvious control problems with the flight system, including objection to the pilot attachment and control methods.

PhillipM

And even then, there's no review on the engine design, it's just using the patent diagram as an example.

J.A.W.

PhillipM wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 20:12
And even then, there's no review on the engine design, it's just using the patent diagram as an example.
A comment is made on the design - so it has been considered - if you read the article.

PhillipM

I read the article, and it's pretty obvious they mainly just searched for related recent patents and that was one of them, there's nothing bar the comment on the downside of the gear that's in the patent photo, no other considerations.

Rodak

If I recall correctly Manolis posted a picture of about 20 engine castings he had produced without actually running the engine and solving things such as heat rejection issues. I think we are still waiting for an actual video (or whatever) of successful running. I would be really interested in seeing the engine actually run, as opposed to endless CAD drawings of how it will run. Credit to Manolis for the patent, but an actual working machine is even better. As to the 'personal flier', better, in my opinion, not to see an attempt to actually fly it as death will result.

tok-tokkie

Manolis engines:
On page 238 of this thread a post by Manolis on 2020/10/15 shows 10 assembled engines for the personal flyer. Eight are for four personal flyers & two are for a broomstick personal flyer.
He notes that still required is the ignition system, sprockets for the propeller drive & the belts, the propellers and the frames for the personal flyer. So that was now 10 months ago. I wonder what the stautus now is.

J.A.W.

PhillipM wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 01:34
I read the article, and it's pretty obvious they mainly just searched for related recent patents and that was one of them, there's nothing bar the comment on the downside of the gear that's in the patent photo, no other considerations.
A single query as to the design patented by manolis was listed, so of course considerations were made.
If any other potential objections were evident, no doubt they'd be noted, accordingly.

I'd be interested to know if manolis has an answer to the technical criticism made, since he is on record
as inviting any such, in this public forum (& others), so do you have any objections to add, yourself?

J.A.W.

tok-tokkie wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 10:06
Manolis engines:
On page 238 of this thread a post by Manolis on 2020/10/15 shows 10 assembled engines for the personal flyer. Eight are for four personal flyers & two are for a broomstick personal flyer.
He notes that still required is the ignition system, sprockets for the propeller drive & the belts, the propellers and the frames for the personal flyer. So that was now 10 months ago. I wonder what the stautus now is.
Indeed, either he's been very busy, or perhaps he's suffered a set-back, which being in Greece,
there have been quite a few in general, let alone his potentially risky doings in particular.

I haven't attempted to contact manolis by pm, or via email to his website, any other member done so?

Pinger

And - sounding like an echo from 1965 - it's electric.

coaster

I have a gut feeling Manolis may no longer be living, think about it, his firm belief of effecting control with no controls, no safety guards.
I pleaded with him a crash and tumble would be unsurvivable.
It all fell on deaf ears.

Pinger

What has died is any future for ICE as we know them - gasoline fuelled. Possibly Manolis has realised this and abandoned all his projects?
There is it seems a potential (atmospheric pressure) storage system for hydrogen in the offing. Maybe if ICE is to survive it will adapt to running on hydrogen. For sure, hydrogen powered fuel cells are expensive and thus far are the only zero CO2 alternative to batteries for mobile propulsion.

coaster

On a forum 'cnczone' they had a thread 'the coming climate change', mostly americans were posting.
Boy it raised alot of arguments, went for maybe 850 pages over 8 or 9 years.

Pinger

It was a contentious subject - ie is it isn't it happening but those who thought it was business as usual got gifted a new fight and signed up as anti-vaxxers.
Pretty much I think most accept that climate change is a reality and that mankind has propelled it forwards and thus mankind can make an effort to slow it. What those efforts should be is far from settled though. The rush to electrifying everything doesn't sit right with me. Neither does doing nothing which will create its own problems. And yes, for fuelling internet forum wars - it's a belter!