2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

© 2021 Formula One World Championship Limited

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - Spa-FrancorchampsRace Final Classification after 1 Lap - 6.880 km
NOTES
Results have been calculated in accordance with Article 51.14 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, namely at the end of lap 1 being the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given. However, for the determination of points, Article 6.5 is applicable, the leader having crossed the Control Line 3 times, therefore complying with the requirement for the leader to have completed more than 2 laps in order for half points to be awarded.*
PENALTIES
Car 18 - 10 second time penalty - Car modified during temporary race stoppage -
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

hollus

I do think that Masi restarted the race mostly for legal reasons, but for what it is worth:
I was watching in F1TV´s Pit Lane channel at the time when the final red flag was called, they were explaining that according to their rain radar, the rain was very light and would become even lighter, which would have resulted in a 30 minute race, give or take. Of course, at the same time, the real world said that the rain was intense and the rooster tails were dinosaur sized, hence the red flag. But the radar 10 minutes before was saying that a short race would be possible before 7PM.
50%-50% decision, maybe? Like... there is a chance of racing, but it is small. Risk-benefit analysis follows:
- If we do nothing, we look bad and have a legal problem.
- If we send them out to probe conditions and clean the track:
a) If the rain lightens (as the radar says), we have a mini race. Great.
b) If the rain gets worse, we look like we tried, we got a green light and technically a race and half points. Not the worst outcome.
So off they went.
Rivals, not enemies.

turbof1

nevill3 wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 21:22

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - Spa-FrancorchampsRace Final Classification after 1 Lap - 6.880 km
NOTES
Results have been calculated in accordance with Article 51.14 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, namely at the end of lap 1 being the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given. However, for the determination of points, Article 6.5 is applicable, the leader having crossed the Control Line 3 times, therefore complying with the requirement for the leader to have completed more than 2 laps in order for half points to be awarded.*
PENALTIES
I guess this will be a snack day for lawyers, and what amounts for a "completed lap". Because 6.5 does not state it is solely there to determine points as it also determines the amount of laps on the results table.
#AeroFrodo

Joker
Joker

nzjrs wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 19:41
Who will make the spiciest comment to the press? I think Alonso might say something here. Maybe Vettel and GPDA make a statement too?
Just watched Alonso's interview. . . and yes, I was not disappointed. He's bashing the decision that points are given to drivers without any proper racing.

"Terrible. . . it's shocking in a way.."

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

It seems Masi is looking to be the most farcical race director F1 has ever seen. This is not F1, what a joke.

Given everything F1 has managed to do to make races happen during COVID, this was an absolute fail. They should have rescheduled and invited the fans back, we even have blank spots on the calendar because of recent cancellations at other venues.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

hollus wrote:
I do think that Masi restarted the race mostly for legal reasons, but for what it is worth:
- If we do nothing, we look bad and have a legal problem.
What legal problem?

falonso81

Meanwhile, F1 website has a video with "Race highlights".

langedweil

djones wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 18:51
proteus wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 18:49
Lewis continuing his lucky streak of losing a lesser amount of points, when underdelivering.
Given he was setup for the race and not qualifying I think it's not unreasonable to think he was actually on for the win if the weather was ok.
Lol .. that dry weather setup !?
Top5 would be soley cars with a barn door setup ...
HuggaWugga !

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Espresso wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 21:19
Whatever debate about the validity of the race I'm stoked and happy for Russell. Lad deserved this one merit!
Its not on merit though.
I’m a massive GR fan but by god the fact he and Williams are celebrating is embarrassing.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 29 Aug 2021, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

the poster below
the poster below

turbof1 wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 21:25
nevill3 wrote:

NOTES
PENALTIES
I guess this will be a snack day for lawyers, and what amounts for a "completed lap". Because 6.5 does not state it is solely there to determine points as it also determines the amount of laps on the results table.
Yes, being on the third lap doesn't count as having "completed more than 2 laps" because completed is interpreted in conjunction with the number of laps. If a lap is a discrete unit in the regs, then 3 whole laps need completing. The question is perhaps how the "race start procedure suspended" issue interplays with completed laps. If their position is that the race hadn't started before the first red flag, because it was start procedure suspended and not race suspended, then how can that second formation lap count as a completed racing lap? If they say the race had begun, then that's not consistent with them letting Perez start.

maxxer
maxxer

Even matches on Wimbledon had to be done on a monday because of rain or darkness, but this is not F1 its Sky F1

nick p
nick p

The medical and safety car guys should’ve been on the podium

Mogster

maxxer wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 21:43
Even matches on Wimbledon had to be done on a monday because of rain or darkness, but this is not F1 its Sky F1
You don’t think organizing an F1 race requires more planning than a tennis match? Availability of 100s of volunteer marshals for one.

The forecast doesn’t look much better tomorrow…

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

This is bonkers, watching the interviews the drivers are saying they knew the race wasn't happening even before the restart. It was common knowledge that the race was cancelled, the restart was literally just to classify the race...

How can this not be a situation of bringing the sport in to disrepute?

turbof1

Diesel wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 21:50
This is bonkers, watching the interviews the drivers are saying they knew the race wasn't happening even before the restart. It was common knowledge that the race was cancelled, the restart was literally just to classify the race...

How can this not be a situation of bring the sport in to disrepute?
The Sporting Code does have regulations regarding bringing the sport into disrepute - I would love to see this rule being claimed against the FIA.
#AeroFrodo