2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, Aug 27 - 29

I agree that the race shouldn't have been conducted in those conditions. They shoud have simply awarded FULL points based on qualifying classification. Safety was ensured, audience get the money back. Win Win situation for all.
Hakuna Matata!

Scorpaguy

nzjrs wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 00:12
The safety ratchet only turns one way, and it just clicked past 'rain races'
Likely true. Just like refueling and unobstructed cockpits. With all the aero, todays cars are just to fast for this...drivers cannot see...AND FOR SOME REASON, THEY WILL NOT SLOW DOWN #-o

Back in the 1970's, we would have been treated to a classic race. Today we were treated to how the corporate world screws the masses.

PlatinumZealot

Tom145145 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 01:06
What makes me sad is remembering the classic wet races, (Spain 96 and Japan 07 come to mind as very wet races) knowing they are never going to happen again, we won’t know who the best drivers in the wet are anymore. I understand the reasons for not getting underway but to classify that as a race is ludicrous, abandon the race or race under green flag.
Might be rose tinted glass there. When I objectively look at both amount of water and visibility we can sorta see those old monsoon races had OK visibility (good enough daylight) so the drivers could at least see the track and each other.

Much brighter lighting better than Spa 2021:

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Worst Race! they should given an opportunity to others to prove them self in race else scrape the Race. If you are going to give point based on Qualy why you have main race? It does not make any sense. Every one should be given an opportunity to gain point. Worst decision every made.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Don't forget Senna's first win:

The track itself looks wetter, but the cars didn't have the aero / as good of rain tires, so less in the air (despite it being bad). The crew standing on the track at the finish was wild, and Senna almost got rear ended while they were out there.

Not saying it's better then, but things were A LOT different.

langedweil

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:10
Worst Race! they should given an opportunity to others to prove them self in race else scrape the Race. If you are going to give point based on Qualy why you have main race? It does not make any sense. Every one should be given an opportunity to gain point. Worst decision every made.
Well, maybe that's just because it is the
only classification available ?
Can't grasp so many do not comprehend the financial consequences of a "No Result", and simply stick to 'unfair free points' blatter (which is idiotic in itself, especially this year).

Everyone tried: the public, marshalls, teams, RC, drivers .. it just wasn't feasible at any time.
And the good part simply is there's no Hubert, Bianchi, Norris, W-series alike or a 1998 opening lap scenario today. Lot of ppl's time was wasted, but everyone lies in his/her bed right now with warm feet.
HuggaWugga !

ringo

I think giving points is not fair in this case.
The teams who setup for the race lost out, as they also could have setup the car to get pole if they know that points were to be handed out for qualifying. No points should be awarded. They should just place the SPA event in Suzuka's slot and run back over the weekend.
Points were awarded here for unfair competition as the teams did not have any chance to compete and they were not competing for the same goal which was to qualify high as possible for hand out points and completely ignore setting up a car that can actually race on Sunday.
For Sure!!

ispano6

Seems like mostly Mercedes fans complaining about a farcical race, go figure. While I am sure many attending spectators felt miffed that no actual racing was held, none of the teams qualified with the explicit knowledge that the race wouldn't be held. Mercedes gambled on a dry race and made the wrong call, but also benefitted from not having to run their dry race set up in a wet race. It could have easily been Germany or Imola again for them.

Attending Suzuka during hurricane Hagibis was a race where we saw qualifying and the race on the same day in really windy conditions. Sure, we actually got a race, but Charles took out Max in the first corner and practically ruined the race for me. So it could go both ways any given Sunday, and in far less treacherous conditions in Hungary many cars were taken out of the race by the actions of one Mercedes. It's been a farcical few races not seeing the top 2 drivers of the championship actually racing each other, and in truth Max might have even made more ground in the deficit. At least a good number of the fans attending had their home hero win pole and eventually the race, so while I stayed up late and watched the whole thing, I'm pretty satisfied with the weekend.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

F1 is looking less like F1, and more like Indycar racing all the time.]

So now we don't even race in the rain, huh? Just like Indycar!

2 thumbs down.

GOAT

ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:49
Seems like mostly Mercedes fans complaining about a farcical race, go figure. While I am sure many attending spectators felt miffed that no actual racing was held, none of the teams qualified with the explicit knowledge that the race wouldn't be held. Mercedes gambled on a dry race and made the wrong call, but also benefitted from not having to run their dry race set up in a wet race. It could have easily been Germany or Imola again for them.

Attending Suzuka during hurricane Hagibis was a race where we saw qualifying and the race on the same day in really windy conditions. Sure, we actually got a race, but Charles took out Max in the first corner and practically ruined the race for me. So it could go both ways any given Sunday, and in far less treacherous conditions in Hungary many cars were taken out of the race by the actions of one Mercedes. It's been a farcical few races not seeing the top 2 drivers of the championship actually racing each other, and in truth Max might have even made more ground in the deficit. At least a good number of the fans attending had their home hero win pole and eventually the race, so while I stayed up late and watched the whole thing, I'm pretty satisfied with the weekend.
I couldn’t agree more- well said.

Tom145145
Tom145145

GOAT wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 06:57
ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:49

I couldn’t agree more- well said.
If Max had taken an engine penalty today, I expect this forum would be on fire. But that’s not the point, I don’t think this is a bad result for Mercedes or Hamilton. They leave leading both championships. It’s terrible news for the sport, I watched with two casual fans one quite new and they’re not Max or Hamilton fans…don’t understand what’s gone on only they didn’t get to watch a race.
I will say again if they think it’s too dangerous to run that’s their decision, but then you have to postpone or cancel. Just running to satisfy the 50% points rule and putting people at risk for it is horrible.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

The combination of Pirelli, the larger tyre regulations, and much larger cars in general, seems to have made them more prone to aquaplaning than before. Add to that Spa's characteristics (esp. Eau Rouge + Raidillon) and the ever heightened awareness around safety measures, and you get what we witnessed yesterday.

As with most 'issues', a lot of the potential blow-back could have been mitigated by clear cut communication in advance of events taking place. This would involve scenario planning, which could have highlighted some of the oddities/shortcomings in the current rule-set with regards to half points, what officially constitutes a race, etc...

As it stands, it looks like they were reacting to the evolving circumstances, rather than working relative to an established protocol.

The only upside to the disappoint: at least there is a race this weekend. Unless it rains.

ispano6

Tom145145 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 07:53

If Max had taken an engine penalty today, I expect this forum would be on fire. But that’s not the point, I don’t think this is a bad result for Mercedes or Hamilton. They leave leading both championships. It’s terrible news for the sport, I watched with two casual fans one quite new and they’re not Max or Hamilton fans…don’t understand what’s gone on only they didn’t get to watch a race.
I will say again if they think it’s too dangerous to run that’s their decision, but then you have to postpone or cancel. Just running to satisfy the 50% points rule and putting people at risk for it is horrible.
Taking an engine penalty doesn't have anything to do with this. The logic that the race be canceled outright would be a complete waste of all the money spent to hold the event, transport the equipment and personnel, and for the various vendors to make their living with the income from attendees. The fans unfortunately didn't get a complete main event, but this race would have been a procession and or a crash riddled affair where needless risk to drivers and costly damage to cars would have been the outcome. All in all the teams were spared heartache and RedBull were able to come away with a win, close the gap to Mercedes and Max's car wasn't destroyed again by a Mercedes. The only stain was that Perez didn't score any points in a race Bottas wasn't going to, but at least George remained in 2nd place.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 00:43
Let's be honest here, with all the bashing, we're forgetting a simple truth.

Today would go down as a memorable race whatever would happen. The decision to 'cancel' the race and just fulfill some bureaucratic rule by doing some 4 laps may go down obviously as a memorable and 'dubious' race - the other side of the coin is that if they DID have a race, then we could have had a serious accident, perhaps even a fatal one.

Fact is, decisions made by the stewards mean drivers kept their lives, teams kept their cars in one piece, and for their 'effort' points were given.
the crowd being disappointed is a form of acceptable 'damage' in my opinion.

Either way, let's hope this also helps to have people forget their nonsense of the past weeks/months.
Hamilton got lucky and 'served' win dinner on a plate by the FIA according to many, and perhaps with a bit of reason.
However, let's be fair - despite him doing his work on saturday, Max was given the win today, he needed do nothing.
He has come back close to Hamilton without any real effort.

This is just how the sport goes, but that - imo - goes for what happened in Silverstone too.
So let's just take this weekend as one that goes down as one of the most confusing races in history,
and let it be what it is - a race result.
It was no ‘race’ a race involves a chance of wining, losing, overtakes and being overtaken. None of that is true.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Ryar wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 03:49
I agree that the race shouldn't have been conducted in those conditions. They shoud have simply awarded FULL points based on qualifying classification. Safety was ensured, audience get the money back. Win Win situation for all.
F1 points are awarded for winning a race not winning qualification. Notice I said race and not ‘procession’.