Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes W12

zibby43 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 00:05
atanatizante wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 21:13
zibby43 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 20:18

Seconded.

I would’ve thought the next PU would come in Monza given PU2 was introduced in France.
There is a blog dedicated to F1 in my country which has delivered these speculations/rumours and I'm inclined to believe them based on the facts that : 1. usually Merc is changing to a new spec PU in Spa due to having to run the toughest 2 races on the entire calendar (Spa and Monza) and 2. by the fact that they didn`t release any oil&fuel upgrade this year, that I'm aware of ...
Thanks for sharing. Does this blog have a good reputation for being accurate, in your estimation?
I have a mixed feeling about it ... sometimes it nails it, sometimes is not!

But I`m glad that the LaplacesDemon forum colleague supports my statement and further gives me an argument, I quote: " With the freeze, new engines offer a power advantage due to degradation so it still appears optimal to deploy fresh units at high power-sensitive tracks but there are much fewer downsides to introducing them early in the season."
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

zibby43

Spa:

Note they’re initially opting for a very trimmed out RW. Much broader range of setup options available on the car now compared to say, Austria, where they had to run a comically huge RW to get the car and tires to generate enough rear downforce to work.

Looks like there’s no gurney tab on the upper RW flap, either. Something that Hamilton ran without at Silverstone.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 21:07
Spa:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9uMnlBVcBI ... name=large

Note they’re initially opting for a very trimmed out RW. Much broader range of setup options available on the car now compared to say, Austria, where they had to run a comically huge RW to get the car and tires to generate enough rear downforce to work.

Looks like there’s no gurney tab on the upper RW flap, either. Something that Hamilton ran without at Silverstone.
Any pics of Bottas' car? With the low track temps all weekend Mercedes may choose to run opposing rear wings on both cars. Cold graining may be a concern for the long runs.
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 03:17
zibby43 wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 21:07
Spa:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9uMnlBVcBI ... name=large

Any pics of Bottas' car? With the low track temps all weekend Mercedes may choose to run opposing rear wings on both cars. Cold graining may be a concern for the long runs.
Not yet, but that's an excellent point. His car is hiding in the background in the photo above; impossible to tell the wing level though.

rickybobbyf1

Any news on the Zandvoort upgrade they were talking about earlier?

Big Tea

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 20:29
They are putting a roof on.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CjC
CjC

Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 20:33
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 20:29
They are putting a roof on.
😂😂 quality😂😂
Just a fan's point of view

zibby43

SmallSoldier

F1Krof

It was rumored that they'd be bringing some upgrades for Zandvoort? Seen anything new yet?
Wroom wroom

Morteza

F1Krof wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 12:14
It was rumored that they'd be bringing some upgrades for Zandvoort? Seen anything new yet?
Didn't find anything except these photos which shows flow-viz on the car

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

atanatizante

According to Motorsport.com : " Mercedes applied flow-viz paint to the lower wishbone at the front of Lewis Hamilton's car during FP1 in order to make sure the airflow over and under the aerodynamic fairing was acting as they anticipated. "

Is this lower wishbone fairing a new update for this race?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

atanatizante wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 19:08
Is this lower wishbone fairing a new update for this race?
It can't be new per the technical regulations.

see page 127
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -06-28.pdf
  • Component - Front Suspension Members
  • Freeze Date - R1-2021
  • Included Components - Wishbones / Links, Track-rod, Push/pull Rod, Bearings, Inboard Brackets not integrated in the survival cell, Fasteners, Wheel Tethers, local electrical and electronic components
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Flow viz applied to the front wishbone might not be about the front wishbone. Flow viz here will impact the car further back and so confirm/otherwise where flow is going.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.