Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Allright

So this is the current driver lineup for 2022 (Blue changed, Red open):

Mercedes : Hamilton & Russell
RedBull : Verstappen & Perez
Ferrari : LeClerc & Sainz
Mclaren : Norris & Ricciardo
Aston Martin : Vettel & Stroll
Alpha Tauri : Gasly & Tsunoda
Alfa Romeo : Bottas & De Vries (?) / Schumacher (?)
Williams : Latifi & Albon
Haas : Mazepin & Schumacher (?) / Giovanazzi (?)

Essentially, the only real open seat is the 2nd Alfa Romeo seat, and there are strong indications that De Vries will end up there. However, there's the option of a change of seats between Schumacher and Giovanazzi
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DChemTech

If De Vries is not signed, this would mean there is no driver that is really a rookie. When is the last time that happened?

LHamilton

I think Vandoorne is more probable than De Vries from the standpoint that Vandoorne is not really a rookie in F1, which might be something that Alfa prefers. At least, that is what Vasseur has said, that they do not prefer rookies going into 2022. But who knows. Looks like money is to appetizing. Williams have already shown that.

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:42
Alfa Romeo : Bottas & De Vries (?) / Schumacher (?)
Zhou is rumoured at Alfa Romeo, owing to a strong funding package rumoured to be of the order of 35m USD / 30m EUR. A competent F2 driver with such strong sponsorship is really rather a no-brainer for Alfa Romeo -- a team lacking in sponsorship, with only Alfa Romeo (only $20m USD per annum supposedly) and Kubica's Orlen sponsorship package featuring on their cars really. :)

Adding a second sponsored driver, in addition to sponsored reserve driver Kubica, would help solidify Sauber's sponsor roster IMO.

LHamilton wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:26
I think Vandoorne is more probable than De Vries from the standpoint that Vandoorne is not really a rookie in F1
Out of Vandoorne and De Vries, who has more funds? Does either have the funds to outbid Zhou? :)
Last edited by JordanMugen on 08 Sep 2021, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Vandoorne LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: really?
i mean come on now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:48
Vandoorne LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: really?
i mean come on now.
Vandoorne was and is considered an ace. :) No worse than Gasly who fared similarly poorly against Verstappen, as Vandoorne did against Alonso for instance. Some view that Brown had a conflict of interest, as Norris' manager, to place Norris in McLaren at the expense of Vandoorne. :wink:

fritticaldi

Guanyu Zhou drove the Alpine and was only .4 sec slower than Ocon on FP1 in Austria. The Chinese driver who is currently 2nd in the FIA F2 standings is a legitimate choice for a race seat at Alfa Romeo for 2022. I believe the Shanghai native is funded by the Chinese Govt. Of equal merit in my opinion is Dutchman Nyck de Vries.

WaikeCU

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:35
Out of Vandoorne and De Vries, who has more funds? Does either have the funds to outbid Zhou? :)
Don't think so.

I think Zhou's backing could even buy the whole of Sauber if they wanted to, which wouldn't be a surprise. Chinese/Swiss F1 team, which is owned/funded by the Chinese, but based in Switzerland. That'll probably put them next to the big teams if they have this kind of funding.

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:12
JordanMugen wrote:
Don't think so.

I think Zhou's backing could even buy the whole of Sauber if they wanted to, which wouldn't be a surprise. Chinese/Swiss F1 team, which is owned/funded by the Chinese, but based in Switzerland. That'll probably put them next to the big teams if they have this kind of funding.
It would be very interesting if the Chinese made a serious power play to be an influence in or conquer F1. Chinese designed car with a Chinese engine and a Chinese driver? Are there any decent Chinese engine manufacturers?

When that nation throws it's resource and money into something, it can accomplish a lot.

PlatinumZealot

TimW wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:12
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbull ... g-in-2022

So yes he stays on the RB program
He is released from RedBull according to Racefans. That RB contract probably Toto's point of contention for blocking the move. Not hard to see it's just a "paper" release though. RB can snatch him back quickly if they need to.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LHamilton

JordanMugen wrote:
LHamilton wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:26
I think Vandoorne is more probable than De Vries from the standpoint that Vandoorne is not really a rookie in F1
Well, seemingly looks like Zhou has a foot in the Alfa second driver door due to finances. But just solidifies my statement about money. If Zhou does becomes Alfas second driver, then we have so many drivers that haven't justfied their place due to merit, which is really boring. And it would go against what they claimed before, which wouldn't the be first and only team on the grid next year. Quite sickening to be honest.

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:20
TimW wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:12
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbull ... g-in-2022

So yes he stays on the RB program
He is released from RedBull according to Racefans. That RB contract probably Toto's point of contention for blocking the move. Not hard to see it's just a "paper" release though. RB can snatch him back quickly if they need to.
There's zero to stop him meeting for a casual lunch or similar catch up with some of his ex-colleagues in the meantime either. Naturally the conversation would gravitate to how he's getting on with all the Mercedes' hardware!

PlatinumZealot

Yes it's personal issue more than anything else. Horner's has the last laugh here. Since toro rosso is pretty much locked out Toto cant get revenge. This is good impetus to have a Mercedes B team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:17
WaikeCU wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:12
JordanMugen wrote:
Don't think so.

It would be very interesting if the Chinese made a serious power play to be an influence in or conquer F1. Chinese designed car with a Chinese engine and a Chinese driver? Are there any decent Chinese engine manufacturers?

When that nation throws it's resource and money into something, it can accomplish a lot.
Historically they have tended to obtain other people's IP and then develop it. That's how they've managed to grow so quickly - they even have a law requiring anyone wanting to do business in the country has to have a Chinese partner and share their IP with them.

I don't see them doing it alone - maybe buying an existing entity, rebranding it and then pretending they were there all along, but not from scratch.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac

ThumbsUp wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:10
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:58
Hmm. So he can report back any info on the Mercedes parts and PU. Interesting.

Before anyone says it I know he won’t be technically qualified to make serious reporting but any feedback could be valuable in what is a new set of regs.
The same for Bottas with the Ferrari PU. He also stays connected to The Mercedes family.

The teams are putting drivers at different constructors everywhere. But does it really matter since all the engines will be frozen? Or can they still get more performance with updates upcoming seasons?
It isn’t just the PU. New racing spec series and shared tech between Mercedes and Williams. The info could be priceless.