Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ryaan2904

Re: Ferrari SF21

codetower wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 22:47
Interesting article over at the race regarding the engine upgrade. Binoto says he is still unsure when it will be ready. Apparently its "brand new technology on the hybrid side" which still need homologations and certifications among other things.

On a positive note, he said "It will be as soon as possible because we believe that running it as much as we can this season will be of interest for the next season.". this goes against my theory that they would wait as long as possible to not over-run it and need a 5th. I suppose they WANT to see how durable it is. Maybe we WILL see it before Turkey. [-o<

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferrari- ... -be-ready/
Won't homologation give away the "brand new" tech to the opposition tho?
Toto definitely has his hands up in the fia pockets
CFD Eyes of Sauron

codetower

ryaan2904 wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 18:35
codetower wrote:
Interesting article over at the race regarding the engine upgrade. Binoto says he is still unsure when it will be ready. Apparently its "brand new technology on the hybrid side" which still need homologations and certifications among other things.

On a positive note, he said "It will be as soon as possible because we believe that running it as much as we can this season will be of interest for the next season.". this goes against my theory that they would wait as long as possible to not over-run it and need a 5th. I suppose they WANT to see how durable it is. Maybe we WILL see it before Turkey. [-o<

I thought something along these lines also. I believe Homologation will simply mean it’s “Set in stone” for Ferrari, no further updates… but still THEIR intellectual property. If not, then all teams would have access to all other teams’ engine specs year after year. I’m not sure how the Homologation works, so maybe someone else can explain it better.

What I did think about was Ferrari giving this to other teams like Haas or Alfa Romeo, and THEM giving up the tech to competitors. I would imagine that if this is new tech for 2022, they would keep it strictly for themselves. Their engine contracts with other teams probably allows them ONLY the 2021 engine as is today should they need a 4th

ryaan2904

codetower wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 18:44
ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:

I thought something along these lines also. I believe Homologation will simply mean it’s “Set in stone” for Ferrari, no further updates… but still THEIR intellectual property. If not, then all teams would have access to all other teams’ engine specs year after year. I’m not sure how the Homologation works, so maybe someone else can explain it better.

What I did think about was Ferrari giving this to other teams like Haas or Alfa Romeo, and THEM giving up the tech to competitors. I would imagine that if this is new tech for 2022, they would keep it strictly for themselves. Their engine contracts with other teams probably allows them ONLY the 2021 engine as is today should they need a 4th
"IP" is just for saying tho, once Ferrari gets the certification for its new components, teams like mercedes definitely will get to know "what/where exactly" they've upgraded. That's one big give away, especially when the electrical systems are not being homologated until September next year.

They knew what ferrari were doing EVERY year. In 2018, 2019, they were straight on point with their "queries" about the ferrari PU.
That's one thing I really hate about toto :|
CFD Eyes of Sauron

codetower

ryaan2904 wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 19:48

"IP" is just for saying tho, once Ferrari gets the certification for its new components, teams like mercedes definitely will get to know "what/where exactly" they've upgraded. That's one big give away, especially when the electrical systems are not being homologated until September next year.

They knew what ferrari were doing EVERY year. In 2018, 2019, they were straight on point with their "queries" about the ferrari PU.
Don't the teams have anything “secret” though? Im sure there are insiders, leaked info and such… but i don’t imagine everything is public knowledge once you buckle in the engine. And even if Toto sees what they are doing, it’s not likely they can develop, test, and implement within the next 4 months. Isn't everything locked for 2022 in come January?

tpe
tpe

The electrical parts will be homologated on September 2022

F1NAC

ryaan2904 wrote:

Wasn't Sassi who spilled the beans, so they basically knew where to aim?

codetower

F1NAC wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 11:42
ryaan2904 wrote:

Which is the base of my concern. With Ferrari bringing the new technology this year, how easy is it for rivals to get their hands on this tech? Would they need an insider like Lorenzo Sassi to divulge this new technology, or once it's out there, it becomes public knowledge? I would think for this year, these upgrades would stay exclusively with Ferrari, not Alfa or Haas. If there is an insider, Toto/Horner would already get this information whether Ferrari release it this year or not. If it stays only at Ferrari, it should be much easier to keep it secret.

LM10

ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:

The other teams will know what Ferrari has done, but won't be able to copy it as soon as homologation kicks in.

ryaan2904

codetower wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 14:25
F1NAC wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 11:42
ryaan2904 wrote:

Which is the base of my concern. With Ferrari bringing the new technology this year, how easy is it for rivals to get their hands on this tech? Would they need an insider like Lorenzo Sassi to divulge this new technology, or once it's out there, it becomes public knowledge? I would think for this year, these upgrades would stay exclusively with Ferrari, not Alfa or Haas. If there is an insider, Toto/Horner would already get this information whether Ferrari release it this year or not. If it stays only at Ferrari, it should be much easier to keep it secret.
They kicked Sassi out 2 years back. Marchionne even made a show of how he was nothing special and they didn't really need him. :lol:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

LM10 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 15:03
ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:

The other teams will know what Ferrari has done, but won't be able to copy it as soon as homologation kicks in.
Homologation's in next September 22. Ton of time for anyone looking to copy it.
Although, I think for it to happen, someone inside the fia must leak it. The rules are that any reliability upgrade the teams are bringing needs approval by all other teams but Ferrari's technically bringing a 20 -> 21 upgrade. So chances should be pretty low.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

MV8
MV8

ryaan2904 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 05:26
LM10 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 15:03
ryaan2904 wrote:

Homologation's in next September 22. Ton of time for anyone looking to copy it.
Although, I think for it to happen, someone inside the fia must leak it. The rules are that any reliability upgrade the teams are bringing needs approval by all other teams but Ferrari's technically bringing a 20 -> 21 upgrade. So chances should be pretty low.
Never say never about FIA
Just posting

ferkan

When talking about homologation, dont forget that Ferrari is bringing ERS 22' part in 21' season, being that they didnt use it at beginning of the year, but that also means Ferrari will be able to bring "2023' " part if you will at the end of 2022, which other manufacturers wont be able to do. So anything others try to do for early next year, is racing against what Ferrari brought this year, and will be racing with until they upgrade to newest part probably late 2022.

tom4661

For the german speaking guys. Michael Schmidt from Auto-Motor-Sport is saying that Ferrari switches from a 400V HV-System to a 800V HV System with their upcoming engine upgrade in Turkey

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... en-unfall/

MV8
MV8

ferkan wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 21:55
When talking about homologation, dont forget that Ferrari is bringing ERS 22' part in 21' season, being that they didnt use it at beginning of the year, but that also means Ferrari will be able to bring "2023' " part if you will at the end of 2022, which other manufacturers wont be able to do. So anything others try to do for early next year, is racing against what Ferrari brought this year, and will be racing with until they upgrade to newest part probably late 2022.
Are you saying that Ferrari is innoving and the other teams not at the same level? So Ferrari is in advantage for 22'?
Just posting

Steven
Owner

tom4661 wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 06:53
For the german speaking guys. Michael Schmidt from Auto-Motor-Sport is saying that Ferrari switches from a 400V HV-System to a 800V HV System with their upcoming engine upgrade in Turkey

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... en-unfall/
.... while adding the change along with ancillary component changes could be worth 10 to 15hp