Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
outer_bongolia

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

WhiteBlue wrote: If the stacked diffusors eventually are made legal it shows again that writing rules with a downforce target in mind is silly. The easiest way to deal with the problem ist simply a legal downforce limit which is monitored with sensors by the SECU. That was the intention of the rule initially and it would be pushing aero work in the right direction. Improvements would only come from better efficiency.

But the teams opposed simple rules for all and replaced it with reams of paragrafs on body work that nobody in his right mind can understand any more. So let them deal with the results of having it their way. They are shelling out to design a second car for the European tour anyway, so there is no point now to stop the thing.
With such a simple rule, I would definitely design a car that would leave a totally messed up wake behind it to ensure no one is able to approach my car without losing all downforce.

Note that the aim for the rule changes was not reduction of the downforce. Their aim was to allow a car to get as close as possible to overtake. This was done by ensuring the cars did not mess up the airflow in their wake too much, and did not depend on an extremely clean airflow to generate downforce. The 2008 cars were exactly the opposite, resulting usually in an ugly procession that lasted an hour and a half.
Last edited by outer_bongolia on 04 Apr 2009, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Birel99

On the SpeedTV broadcast, they say that for every 2.75kg of fuel burnt off, you go about __ faster? Was it .1s for every 2.75kg lost?

NormanBates

ESPImperium wrote:
myurr wrote:I think in general you need to take about 3 - 4 laps off those first stops. They will all pit with a slight contingency, at least one lap, in case of problems so that they can be sent round again whilst the problem is sorted or in case the refuelling rig malfunctions and they don't take on any fuel. Also the fuel feed systems in these cars cannot completely 100% empty the tanks, they require some fuel in them in order to operate.
Im probably going to have to do something in my chart to refelect those contingencys. Probably add a new column or something like that with a "=-2*D26" formula or something like that.
easiest way is to increase weight of car that you deduce, and look only at "useful 1st stint fuel"

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Yeah I think your estimated pit stops are a bit long ESI..

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 64,00.html

Predicted/Estimated Lap Of First Stop For Fuel

Vettel: 12
Sutil: 14
Rosberg: 15
Webber: 15
Glock: 15
Trulli: 15
Button: 16
Räikkönen: 16
Kubica: 17
Barrichello: 17
Bourdais: 19
Alonso: 22
Fisichella: 22
Piquet: 22
Nakajima: 22
Buemi: 23
Hamilton: 24
Kovalainen: 24
Massa: 24
Heidfeld: 25

However if it's raining then who knows!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Conceptual
Conceptual

So the teams protest the diffusors once again.

Do they have to in order to get their results thrown out if the diffusor is declared illegal on April 14th? Like, if they didnt protest, the results of Malaysia would stand regardless of the outcome of the hearing?

I think that is rather sucks to be able to challenge the same item at every GP because of the fact that a deciding hearing has been set, and Williams has a job to do, and to me, this would almost constitute harassment.

Can anyone clarify why this is happening, or what the benefits are to doing this again?

Thanks!

timbo
timbo

"The protest is purely a formal matter," a BMW spokesman said. "It is intended to ensure that the result in Malaysia is also taken into consideration in the judge's decision in the appeal proceedings on 14th April."

Conceptual
Conceptual

timbo wrote:
"The protest is purely a formal matter," a BMW spokesman said. "It is intended to ensure that the result in Malaysia is also taken into consideration in the judge's decision in the appeal proceedings on 14th April."
I understand now...

It is a "We have no chance of beating them on track, so we must do everything remotely possible to have their points taken away."

I forgot, F1 has no honor.

DM0407
DM0407

ben_watkins wrote:Yeah I think your estimated pit stops are a bit long ESI..

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 64,00.html

Predicted/Estimated Lap Of First Stop For Fuel

Vettel: 12
Sutil: 14
Rosberg: 15
Webber: 15
Glock: 15
Trulli: 15
Button: 16
Räikkönen: 16
Kubica: 17
Barrichello: 17
Bourdais: 19
Alonso: 22
Fisichella: 22
Piquet: 22
Nakajima: 22
Buemi: 23
Hamilton: 24
Kovalainen: 24
Massa: 24
Heidfeld: 25

However if it's raining then who knows!

I'm betting everyone pits within a couple laps of one another. If its not raining at the start, I'm sure it will arrive within 15 laps.

shir0

Conceptual wrote:I forgot, F1 has no honor.
honor? ...in modern sports? :wtf:

you gotta be kidding yourself.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

vasia
vasia

fenix4life wrote:
roost89 wrote:However, with this being the forecast for tomorrow:
# Tomorrow: Mixed clouds and sun with scattered thunderstorms. High 88F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tomorrow night: Scattered thunderstorms. Low near 75F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.
There was a similar forecasr for today. How will the (possible) rain affect the teams? Will we see Brawn, Williams and Toytota steaming away? With more downforce, they'll be able to extract more traction from the tyres. Or will it level the playing field, with eternal back-markers like Force India coming to the front?
Who do you think is best suited to have a strategy flexible enough to cope with a sudden down-pour?
Alonso's Renault has done his quelifying with a rain setup and a full tank.
A few of the other teams are thought to have set up for rain as well. Rain will not make it much easier for Alonso. In fact, rain I think will make it trickier for the cars that have KERS equipped.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

If you have KERS and it rains, then you alter the KERS usage strategy. Don't even think of trying it exiting corners, or in anything but lined up straight. But instead, use a 3 second burst down each long straight. Exit the corner, make sure you're all lined up straight, and zoooom.

What may become a problem with KERS and rain is braking balance. Since the KERS applies a braking force on the rear wheels alone, there may exist the possibility that a KERS car may have oversteer problems braking into corners, snapping into understeer once the brakes are released. They have to get this balance right. All that rain at the start of testing season may pay off for some teams.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

3 hours left... ugh. What to do between 2am and 5...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

GP2 is on in 5 minutes... that will keep me amused for a tick..

Edit - it is on now..and very wet! woohooo
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

GP2 Asia Series is on EuroSport 2 at the moment, Sky Channel 411 for those who have got it.

Started behind the saftey car, monsoon conditions. Turn 15 looks gnarly, turn 4 looks pretty dry in comparison to others, turn 1 & 2 will be difficult.

Im going to say that the KERS Cars will be at a distinct disadvantage if they use it at the start, whitch will be a massive pileup involving both McLarens, Masa and both Relaults.

NaZzO

Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.