Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marc.W

Re: Red Bull RB19

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 12:03
https://i.ibb.co/XyxVGZv/F6i-FB-tak-AAr-fx.jpg

Big opening to diffuser...
Is this the first time we've seen the stays on the floor for RedBull?

Sieper

Marc.W wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 12:39
mclaren111 wrote:

No, they have been there all season.

SiLo

I never noticed how bulbous the lower part of the sidepod is. This really shows how they are trying to create a blockage in that area. Maybe they want the sidepods to deflect the oncoming air outside the rear tyre as much as possible?
Felipe Baby!

Farnborough
Farnborough

SiLo wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 13:08
I never noticed how bulbous the lower part of the sidepod is. This really shows how they are trying to create a blockage in that area. Maybe they want the sidepods to deflect the oncoming air outside the rear tyre as much as possible?
From the airflow with "flowvis" on that part, it looks more to condition and direct flow down alongside the rear wheel inside edge. The mousehole looks to control bleed into diffuser and may be the mitigation in preventing that rear area from induced too high negative load, hence preventing porpoising by giving tapered accumulation characteristic as it gets lower to ground.

Front floor strakes seem far more the source of primary outwash past rear wheel outside face, evidenced in wet conditions as speed rises.

Mousehole tailoring, sizing, appears to give focus for different downforce levels in that they seem to shift size and geometry of it.

Marc.W

Sieper wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 13:00
Marc.W wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

No, they have been there all season.
Yes, looks like they're added/removed per track

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

SiLo wrote:

Like this?

SiLo

Farnborough wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 13:19
SiLo wrote:
From the airflow with "flowvis" on that part, it looks more to condition and direct flow down alongside the rear wheel inside edge. The mousehole looks to control bleed into diffuser and may be the mitigation in preventing that rear area from induced too high negative load, hence preventing porpoising by giving tapered accumulation characteristic as it gets lower to ground.

Front floor strakes seem far more the source of primary outwash past rear wheel outside face, evidenced in wet conditions as speed rises.

Mousehole tailoring, sizing, appears to give focus for different downforce levels in that they seem to shift size and geometry of it.
That makes sense, I guess that keeps the diffuser airflow separated and cleans up the tyre squirt that might destabilise any flow against the sidewall of the diffuser.
Felipe Baby!

Farnborough
Farnborough

This design overall appears to hold a characteristic in being very competently linked from front to rear in very focuesd approach of each component.

It may not be even considered radical (everyone in critique seems to want a verified "trick" ) that is reason for it's success. Just appears to be very baseline understanding of the design team to deliver cohesion in the flow of each descreet element.

organic

Marc.W wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

No they've had this floor stay there since Baku 2022

organic

Perez using old floor, Verstappen using new floor

A nice side by side comparison

Sevach
Sevach

ringo

SiLo wrote:
They are for drag reduction. It's how they are deflect and mostly interacting with the flow feild between body and the floor edge.
Partly why this car is so aero efficient.
I think i explained this theory earlier in this thread or team thread. But the method is employed in aircraft.

Other teams are yet to use the bulges. Maybe they are expecting other things beside drag reduction from this component.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
I think it's more about how the air strikes the sidepods first under yaw.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 00:51
But the method is employed in aircraft.
Bulbous bits on aircraft? Are you referring to the Area Rule? That's a transonic design system and not really applicable to the flow around an F1 sidepod.

RB's bulbous sidepods appear to be guiding a vortex, or some other flow structure,(judging from the flow viz seen earlier in the season) to the rear of the car and possibly to the mousehole area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 01:12
ringo wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 00:51
But the method is employed in aircraft.
Bulbous bits on aircraft? Are you referring to the Area Rule? That's a transonic design system and not really applicable to the flow around an F1 sidepod.

RB's bulbous sidepods appear to be guiding a vortex, or some other flow structure,(judging from the flow viz seen earlier in the season) to the rear of the car and possibly to the mousehole area.
... or the rear tyre face. 🤐