McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

forty-two

Much clearer image that one, it shows the double bend in the supposed exhaust pipes. Seems like a really odd layout to me.

Just a thought, but Could these actually be hot water pipes being fed out from the back of the engine and running outboard to the extremes of the sidepods? Perhaps they shed a bit of heat on their journey and/or packaging considerations meant that they couldn't take their normal route in the moose-shaped McLaren?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Chalke
Chalke

Also from that set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/

Best view of the sidepod underside I've seen today, and no sign of an exhaust there.

Some other things that caught my eye about these pics are:

1. Above the diffuser in the centre 'free-zone' of the rules, there seems to be a rectangular section currently patched up, room for expansion in the future?

2. Just how much of the exits at the back of the sidepods/engine cover are patched over with carbon fibre. For example, why make the large round central exit, and only vent through a small square hole?

3. Heat sensitive stickers on the rear wing uprights again, but no sign of what's generating the heat.

and of course

4. What the holy hell is going on with those exhaust loops?

Ofc the answers to some of these may be 'it's a test mule' and the final bodywork will be much tighter once the concept is proved by these tests, but for the purposes of these tests they need to be made to accommodate multiple experiental setups.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Chalke wrote:Also from that set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/

Best view of the sidepod underside I've seen today, and no sign of an exhaust there.

Some other things that caught my eye about these pics are:

1. Above the diffuser in the centre 'free-zone' of the rules, there seems to be a rectangular section currently patched up, room for expansion in the future?

2. Just how much of the exits at the back of the sidepods/engine cover are patched over with carbon fibre. For example, why make the large round central exit, and only vent through a small square hole?

3. Heat sensitive stickers on the rear wing uprights again, but no sign of what's generating the heat.

and of course

4. What the holy hell is going on with those exhaust loops?

Ofc the answers to some of these may be 'it's a test mule' and the final bodywork will be much tighter once the concept is proved by these tests, but for the purposes of these tests they need to be made to accommodate multiple experiental setups.
well yeah we know there are diff configs they are running.

The patched up rear vent shows that the different exhaust configs require different amounts of cooling. When they settle on a design they will make the bodywork have the same size aperture. They probably decided to make the vent larger to begin with and then test it reducing the size to be safe - more efficient then doing it the other way round I'd expect.

As for the bent back exhausts - this is a test configuration, we only know that every time the exit is forward, the bent exhausts appear. After the U bend collectors they probably have different shapes of exhaust depending on if they route to the side of or the front of the sidepod. Once again, after settling on a solution they will probably custom mold the piping in one set..

I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride at the moment, because the car the';ve got has been built for many different configs and within several conservative margins. It'll be more aggressive and focused come bahrain.. or should i say the first race...

creedbratton
creedbratton

Just noticed that McLaren are running really narrow brake ducts in the front and rear, just emphasizes how committed they are to get clean air.

Biscuit
Biscuit

The U pipes look fairly pristine in the high def picture. If those were taken during a run, wouldn't there be some degree of discoloration? Misdirection maybe?

mclaren113
mclaren113

Guys you can clearly see the exhausts in this hi res. pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yeah, thanks for that. But it's clear that you haven't even read this page, since that image is provided in the top post. :wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

myurr
myurr

Nice clear shot showing that it's definitely not an exhaust and looks like it's just a fin controlling air flow or more likely just a panel that happened to catch the light.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

First thing Id have to ask is, when was that picture taken? To work this out we'd need pictures all taken during the same run, because mclaren are swapping bits off that car all day.. What you see in one picture isnt necessarily in the other at all, like the exhausts for example.

One thing that is interesting is the slight bulge/ramp in the floor just below the side pod when there V in Vodafone finishes. Scrabs says this bulge is due to the exhaust folding back...
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please don't quoted posts that are right above yours

thedutchguy

Have any of the other teams commented on what they think is goiint on with the McLaren exhaust system? I just asked Mike Gascoyne on twitter. But I can imagine that if they have an idea, they'd rather keep ik to themselves.

Lurk

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/545 ... bc1d_o.jpg
I really like these brake duct and the way they taped it.

By the way, aren't we supposed to see a radiator inside the sidepod?
The only thing there is a slot on the top. :wtf:

mclaren113
mclaren113

For sure McLaren has problems with the MP4-26!

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

mclaren113 wrote:For sure McLaren has problems with the MP4-26!
what makes you say that?

myurr
myurr

Presumably it was because of their lack of running today. According to autosport they had hydraulic problems, but they're back out and running now.