Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

Jerez - Test 1- Day 2

Coefficient
Coefficient

"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Daliracing

Re: Caterham CT-04 Renault

n smikle wrote:For anyone who can answer. Why is the car called CT-05??? was there a CT-04 that was scrapped or what? Or did Marrusia purchase the Ct-04?
the car is called CT 05 because in asia 4 is a bad number like 13 is here. they did that because of Kobayashi. thats what i've heard

Artur Craft

From the many shots that I have seen from every car, Caterham is the one which seems to have the biggest amount of airflow going into the teatray/splitter area. I think their nose solution will be the one copied by all the teams, as the way to go.

I'm not saying it will have the boxy part and etc, but they will surely look for ways to have something as unobstructed as this:
copy the link and see it in high resolution

I don't think a nose solution alone can make them really competitive, but I expect them to get away from Marussia and mix up with the midfield. Even their front wing is intricate and have much more df generator elements than Ferrari's, for instance. And we all know they wouldn't trim FW with that much df if they didn't have a reasonable amount in the rear

Yes, the car is ugly as it can be. But here we are to discuss performance and not aesthetics

Forza

Jerez Test T01- Day 3

scarbs
scarbs

Coefficient wrote:
Forza wrote:
Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am

Coefficient wrote:
Omnicorse also claims that Caterham has followed McLaren and Ferrari’s lead in designing its 2014 car around innovative pull-rod front suspension.

scarbs wrote:
I can confirm thats complete rubbish....
Yup I was wrong about that, stuff I'd seen showed it to be a push rod, but I was clearly mistaken, mea culpa

Coefficient
Coefficient

Weird, I'm getting used to this car now. At first it made my eyes burn but now after a few days of seeing it I only mildly dislike it now. Must be Stocholm Syndrome or something. LOL!

From above the nose is quite like the 2012 Ferrari only shorter. I hope they do well with this weird car.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Ben27
Ben27

This year is all about the power unit more than ever and set it up for running as fast as possible and as soon as possible in that regard I thing Renault is getting worse at each moment.

They need to be competitive right from the beginning as we've seen last year the championship places are settled right from the beginning.

So they need to be perked up right from the beginning if the want do well.

If it's not so. I'm afraid they're going to suffer to recover the 10th place.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Coefficient wrote:Weird, I'm getting used to this car now. At first it made my eyes burn but now after a few days of seeing it I only mildly dislike it now. Must be Stocholm Syndrome or something. LOL!

From above the nose is quite like the 2012 Ferrari only shorter. I hope they do well with this weird car.
Personally, it reminds me more of the first-generation nose on the 2009 Renault ...

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Godius

Take a look at the length of the vertical slots on the rear wing endplates, they are very long compared to those on other cars.

Daliracing

the nose isn't so bad at all. its just a matter of getting used to it. i first disliked the 2009 car because of the wings, i hope they get the engine running well and that they can move up on the grid

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Go ahead and sue me, but I like this nose solution from a purely aerodynamic point of view because it appears to be trying the best to preserve the Harvey Postlethwaite high nose airflow concept and airflow distribution.

I disagree with Allison (putting PC PR/spin doctoring on Ferrari nose) and with Scarbs (parroting Allison) who say that the different nose solutions don't have a "significant" effect and aren't significantly different.

Well, if you want to maintain the high nose airflow concept and distribution father back on the car- sort of the previous standard - you want the least blockage and disruption of the flow coming into the splitter tea tray area. These noses look like they clearly differ in the amount of blockage of that flow. I reject the notion put forth by some scribe that a little bit of extra length between the Ferrari nose and the splitter allows the air off their wide nose to recover.

If you want to abandon the whole high nose airflow concept and revert to trying to get just downforce off the sloping, wide, low nose, then, yes, the designs don't make any difference.

So sue me already.

Forza

Jerez - Pre-season Test 1- Day 4

nacho
nacho

Those sidepods look bulky as hell, perhaps a delibarete decision for the first test to ensure cooling.