Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Saribro
Saribro

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Metar wrote:Am I the only one who liked the grooved tyres? They were something unique to the series - no other open-wheelers shared
Totally with you, I'm actually sad to see them go :/.

WhiteBlue

They were meant as a cure for performance excesses suggested by tyre companies to the FIA. The grooved tyres obviously did not do what they were supposed to do - cut dangerous cornering speeds sufficiently. Contact patch reductions from a certain point are no compensation for excessive downforce because they only work in slower corners. From an efficiency standpoint they are dumb because they make the tyre induced drag bigger without helping traction and stability. good riddance!!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Scotracer
Scotracer

Okay guys, it's poor-photoshop-time again from me!

I superimposed a 2000 Benetton front-wing (which I increased in size as appropriate) but the rear-wing fits 2009 regs.

:)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

WhiteBlue

nice, you could take away the flip ups and chimneys.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

Looks like Telefonica got dumped in favor of Telica.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Metar

WB, they're obviously inferior from a technical point of view - but I'm speaking about the visual aspect. There is no open-wheeler with these tyres - it was, for me, something unique to F1. I know others don't like the grooved tyres, but I myself never saw the (visual) appeal of slicks. Saying "they need to go because they're inferior and didn't serve their purpose" should make quite a few parts redundant... Today's mirrors are complete rubbish, for example.

One of my favourite photos of this year's cars is this:

Now, I'm not a big McLaren fan, but it's a stunning picture. And aren't the grooves of the tyres a big part of the composition? I'm not trying to enforce my opinion, but you argued with a technical argument, when the original reasoning was visual..

timbo
timbo

Metar wrote:WB, they're obviously inferior from a technical point of view - but I'm speaking about the visual aspect. There is no open-wheeler with these tyres - it was, for me, something unique to F1.
I second this. There was something "special" about F1 looks with grooved tyres.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Just as the person told me, F1racing august issue (he should have had it early) does indeed have drawings of how 2009 cars should look like.

It is now aviable, do someone can get a hold onto it?

Scotracer
Scotracer

Ogami musashi wrote:Just as the person told me, F1racing august issue (he should have had it early) does indeed have drawings of how 2009 cars should look like.

It is now aviable, do someone can get a hold onto it?
I will pick up a copy today. :)

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Thanks a lot :)

Scotracer
Scotracer

Okay guys, I picked it up. The article is only a 2-page spread which is a little disappointing but it does give us a look at how the cars will be next year. I actually like them a lot...but the front-wing looks a bit too simple. I wonder how much the teams will change that before the start of the season.

If you open the image in a new tab/window (right-click on it) you can see it in a larger size to read the article.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Thank you!

The drawings are in line with the ferrari ones.

the CFD half model seems interesting, too bad he's a little to small.

Imho the front wing will be the most radical visual change.

bazanaius
bazanaius

LOL, these cars are permanently going to look like you've got the perspective wrong. #-o

timbo
timbo

bazanaius wrote:LOL, these cars are permanently going to look like you've got the perspective wrong. #-o
Yes, I don't find them particularly good looking. I hope that actual designs will look better.

What about this rule from the addition to the 2008 regulation (planned for 2009):
"After the start of the first Event of the Championship no team will be permitted to make more than two changes to the shape of the external bodywork. Minor modifications to overcome specific problems, such as enlargement of engine cooling apertures, will be permitted provided it is clear that the change is insignificant and restricted to the stated purpose."

It will make life easier for teams. But these two changes probably would be quite radical!

Conceptual
Conceptual

What a waste.

All of those hours and millions of dollars invested into competitive F1 Technology now has a return on investment of ZERO.

I think that the 2008/9 A1GP car is more cutting edge than that render.

Maybe it is time to find a new hobby... After this extraordinary season however.

I wonder what the blowback is going to be like when 100 million fans go from this seasons cars, and the thrilling racing that it has delivered, to slower, archaic aero machines that will have a high attrition rate due to the new technologies that will be inroduced.

Maybe this is what Max meant when he talked of reviving F2?

Because those cars are not the cutting edge, top level machinery that F1 was synonomous for.

Frozen engine from 2006, aero from 2002, and primitive KERS all add up to OLD NEWS. Regardless of how close the racing is.

Chris