2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Harsha
Harsha

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Phil wrote:Edit: Nevermind, got beaten to it.

Very funny press conference.

Got to love Seb. :lol:
Yeah he made his comical touch back after all

dwhight
dwhight

Anyone know how many races Hamilton and Rosberg's engines they will use this weekend have been through? I'm sure (hope) Merc have been sensible and kept Hamilton's least used engine for Abu Dhabi.

Richard
Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI8ag6LnPm0

The Alonso-Button bit is at 36:15

Seb was on good form. Fantastic response to a very long question that starts at 25:15

There's a good bit at 31:00 when a journalist asks if Rosberg & Hamilton need to talk to each other before the race to ensure there is "no argy bargy"
  • Hamilton - No, we don't need to, we talked about it at the start of the season and especially after Spa, we're not children.
  • Rosberg - Yes Lewis can do something, Lewis needs to drive cleanly himself
ooopss ... someone went off message there

dren

So, what will Hamilton do? He only needs a 2nd. Does he let Rosberg take pole and the race win while comfortably driving home in 2nd, or does he snag pole and risk being hit by a potentially aggresive Rosberg who has to win to have a chance?
Honda!

dans79

dren wrote:So, what will Hamilton do? He only needs a 2nd. Does he let Rosberg take pole and the race win while comfortably driving home in 2nd, or does he snag pole and risk being hit by a potentially aggresive Rosberg who has to win to have a chance?
I think he will do what he has done all season, do his best to take pole, and his best to win the race. Unless he completely screws up his set-up, or has a mechanical problem I fully expect him to win, because Lewis has shown to be better come Sunday, pretty much all season. Nico will be a sitting duck even if he takes pole, because of the long drs zones here.
197 104 103 7

SidSidney
SidSidney

Richard wrote: There's a good bit at 31:00 when a journalist asks if Rosberg & Hamilton need to talk to each other before the race to ensure there is "no argy bargy"
  • Hamilton - No, we don't need to, we talked about it at the start of the season and especially after Spa, we're not children.
  • Rosberg - Yes Lewis can do something, Lewis needs to drive cleanly himself
ooopss ... someone went off message there
Best bit is Jenson Button's eye reaction to Rosberg's comment at 31m20s:

http://youtu.be/SI8ag6LnPm0?t=31m15s
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

astracrazy
astracrazy

Lol brillient

The comment was a bit like that

SidSidney
SidSidney

That was actually an interesting bit of needle from Rosberg/Hamilton.

Hamilton clearly just wanted Rosberg to remember what the team management had scolded him about last time ie., don't tag Lewis again or else you are on the naughty step. Hamilton was reminding him he already has one strike against him. Rosberg was visibly annoyed about the reference to Spa and children, and I think if anything he is more determined to drop Hamilton off the face of the earth after that little exchange.

If there is the slightest excuse we will have some immense fireworks between those cars. Think of the most bizarre ending you can and knowing Ecclestone's magic box of race tricks it will almost certainly be more bizarre.

Then there is third place hunting second - Ricciardo on a charge? Button with a semi-fit McLaren? Bottas dialing it in one more time?
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

SiLo

Just Button's reaction to the whole question process to Lewis about the "argy-bargy". You can see him turn around and smile at Lewis.

I think those guys still get on really well, and I always thought they did whilst at McLaren as well.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Journo trying to stir it up with leading questions. Hamilton plays it all with a "corporate line" straight bat but Rosberg lets himself get drawn forward and says something "juicy". The journos will be making Rosberg's comments in to some form of hate-filled fury in tomorrow's papers. Which is funny because it was just a clumsy attempt at diversion and mind games by Rosberg.

Button found it funny. Vettel looked around at Rosberg too with a slightly quizzical look on his face. It almost looked like he was thinking "did you really just say that?". Alonso looking like he really doesn't care any more, thanks.

Rosberg looking a little silly at the end of it all.

It's a good job that the press conference is a silly waste of time that none of the drivers take too seriously (except, perhaps, Rosberg on this occasion).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1316
f1316

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I think the tyre choice could potentially bring the pack closer. We've seen before this season that other teams benefit from the super soft and most recently in Singapore where qualifying was close.

If it's the case it increases the liklihood of someone getting between the two Mercedes.

WaikeCU

Funny thing is out of the press conference there was only two drivers who have to put their game face on this weekend and that's Hamilton and Rosberg. Others looked like they are in vacation mood or just don't even care about this last race. Vettel's future is pretty clear even what's going to happen this weekend. Alonso himself knows where his future is, so his last race doesn't even matter either. Button just doesn't even care what happens after this race: Lose his seat, fine! Another season at Mclaren, even better! Hulkenberg doesn't really have any big plans this weekend. Would need a miracle to beat Mclaren in the constructors championship. Pretty helpless.

So that leaves only Hamilton and Rosberg who still needs to suit up and head to the office! :D

Kingshark
Kingshark

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/20/h ... ure-title/

Don't do something stupid now, Lewis. I hope he's learned from Brazil 2007, and his Turn 4 adventure when trying to pass Alonso.

Phil

In case anyone's interested; BBC will be broadcasting all practice sessions live, starting tomorrow Friday at 10:00 AM (CET) with P1, then at 2:00 PM (CET) for P2, then saturday morning with repeats of P1 & P2 (7:40 AM CET) before P3 at 11:00 AM (CET) all on BBC2.

Qualifying will be broadcast on BBC1 in HD live.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Multi21

f1316 wrote:Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I think the tyre choice could potentially bring the pack closer. We've seen before this season that other teams benefit from the super soft and most recently in Singapore where qualifying was close.

If it's the case it increases the liklihood of someone getting between the two Mercedes.
Yes, qualy was close in singapore but on race day, it was a different story. the Mercedes at around 1s a lap advantage over the field there and this track is in the same style as Sochi so i excpet the Mercs to fly and if a redbull or williams gets between them in qualy, they will be passed either at the start or the first round of pitstops. I can see this race being a bit like bahrain actually, but with a spicier tire allocation.