Williams FW31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Williams FW31 - final livery

djos wrote:So how long do we think these will remain legal?

I reckon they are a/ fugly & b/ dangerous! [-X
That sounds almost like stalinism :)

They're just different. And it's good.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Dangerous? Unlike the 10,000V KERS system, the 350km/h top speed, the 1000C brakes and exhaust gasses or the noise which could quite easily deafen you?

Yeah, real dangerous ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

djos

Scotracer wrote:Dangerous? Unlike the 10,000V KERS system, the 350km/h top speed, the 1000C brakes and exhaust gasses or the noise which could quite easily deafen you?

Yeah, real dangerous ;)
Point taken, but if We see a repeat of the other year where a car comes flying over the Williams cockpit, those things are going to snap off and potentially turn lethal!
"In downforce we trust"

modbaraban
modbaraban

djos wrote:Point taken, but if We see a repeat of the other year where a car comes flying over the Williams cockpit, those things are going to snap off and potentially turn lethal!
Or protect the driver from being beheaded by the floor pan.

Scotracer
Scotracer

djos wrote:
Scotracer wrote:Dangerous? Unlike the 10,000V KERS system, the 350km/h top speed, the 1000C brakes and exhaust gasses or the noise which could quite easily deafen you?

Yeah, real dangerous ;)
Point taken, but if We see a repeat of the other year where a car comes flying over the Williams cockpit, those things are going to snap off and potentially turn lethal!
And the car that is flying over the other could quite easily kill the driver (think DC/Wurz incident). There are too many "what-ifs" and that's where the health & safety officers lurk ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

djos

Scotracer wrote:And the car that is flying over the other could quite easily kill the driver (think DC/Wurz incident). There are too many "what-ifs" and that's where the health & safety officers lurk ;)
Very true, I still wouldn't be happy about them as a driver tho! (unless of course they made me go a shed load faster!) :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

Michiba
Michiba

I like it... Looks very evangelion to me

xpensive
xpensive

Sigh, what teams in desperate need for sponsorship are prepared to do for publicity.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marinopc
marinopc

djos wrote:So how long do we think these will remain legal?

I reckon they are a/ fugly & b/ dangerous! [-X
It seems to be legal:

Sam Michael explained: "In the area of the head restraint, the 75 millimetre radius (bodywork) rule does not apply."

Michael also said BMW Sauber has already dabbled with a similar concept and that it is likely "others will follow suit."

Any news about BMW Sauber innovation?

Miguel
Miguel

Mmm... I like the FW31 livery much more with live lighting, although the rabbit ears do look funny. They remind me a lot of the twin towers Sauber tried in the 2006 French GP. Anyway, I really hope this car works.
modbaraban wrote:I'm ready to help you by performing a buyout (for 1 pound) and carry your burden. I guarantee to support it for its lifetime.
LOL, but no, thanks. Who knows? You may even devote its computing power to help analyse McLaren data!
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

marinopc
marinopc

They also build their similar version of the RB5 nosecone.

It's a pleasure to see Williams working this way!

modbaraban
modbaraban

Miguel wrote:Mmm... I like the FW31 livery much more with live lighting, although the rabbit ears do look funny.
More like batman's helmet (or whatever that is) Image
Miguel wrote:
modbaraban wrote:I'm ready to help you by performing a buyout (for 1 pound) and carry your burden. I guarantee to support it for its lifetime.
LOL, but no, thanks. Who knows? You may even devote its computing power to help analyse McLaren data!
No way. That's not going to happen. I already refused twice to lend my casio calculator to Paddy Lowe. Don't worry.

scarbs
scarbs

marinopc wrote:
They also build their similar version of the RB5 nosecone.

It's a pleasure to see Williams working this way!
Its nothing like the RB5 nose cone, look at the new horizontal snow plough under the nose cone...!

This week already the team have tried
The cockpit fins
Revised sidepods
New pod wings
Turning vanes dropped from the nose cone
Totally revised diffuser
Cooling outlet near cockpit
New wing mirrors
Shoulders added to the scuttle area
New front brake duct scoops

axle
axle

Have to say the FW31 seems (touch wood) reliable. They just plough on testing new part after new part.
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

djos wrote:

Yeah, real dangerous ;)
If another car was in a position to take out those things it's already on a collision course to whack the driver on the head. Look at the position of these things, now think about exactly how another car could slide over the top and break them of, considering the shape of a formula 1 car at the same time. The driver is already in danger with or without flying bunny ears. Please think more before posting, your arrogance annoys me.