2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Multiple sources have indicated to The Race that Honda will return to #F1 in a full capacity and commit to the new engine regulations in 2026 by partnering with current Mercedes customer Aston Martin.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/honda-f1 ... on-martin/

McG

Aston Martin Honda sounds weird and unsuitable. No thanks . As if this team can't get any stranger.
F1 is dead.

McG

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2023, 21:09
I find this kind of analysis to be shallow. They don't paint any particular picture. You have the Mclarens listed ahead of Alonso....I guess Aston Martin is in trouble...oh no wait Stroll is at the top :wink:

The only measurements of value are those conducted in isolation in qualifying laps. Race calculations are based on massive slipstreams and DRS for people who were at the back.
There's nothing shallow about it. They are clear about it being race top speeds and we know what that entails. You should probably keep your personal vendetta against the account out if it. Also you didn't reply to my post when I called you out about not understanding why lower downforce equals higher top speed. I hope you understand that now at least.
F1 is dead.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Aston Martins involvement in F1 is one of the oddest stories

jofs89
jofs89

Hi, I'm new to fourm :-D

Do people think it's feasible that Aston Martin (in Alosno's hands) could start to put the slower RB under pressure later in the season ? This seems possible to me if the upgrades perform well. I did some analysis of the lap times so far in all GPs (removing pitspots, saftey car laps etc.) and the Alonso average lap time was 0.338 off Perez and 0.461 off Verstappen.

The defecit in finishing time has been similar to the slowest Red Bull in all races (between 15-20 seconds). Although, satefy cars and other variables will obviously effect this.

Some may say the RB is still sandbagging it's true pace. However, I don't know if I buy that as they are often competing for the win so are unlikely to just accept they will come 2nd in most cases and just manage everything. Also, it's clear that Alonso is driving within the capabilities of the car in most races to manage tyres etc. as once he's got 3rd sown up there is little point stressing the tyres, engine etc.

Is there any chance a big upgrade package could get Alonso close enough to split the Red Bulls on some circuits?

Mr.S
Mr.S

jofs89 wrote:
10 May 2023, 15:17
Hi, I'm new to fourm :-D

Do people think it's feasible that Aston Martin (in Alosno's hands) could start to put the slower RB under pressure later in the season ? This seems possible to me if the upgrades perform well. I did some analysis of the lap times so far in all GPs (removing pitspots, saftey car laps etc.) and the Alonso average lap time was 0.338 off Perez and 0.461 off Verstappen.

The defecit in finishing time has been similar to the slowest Red Bull in all races (between 15-20 seconds). Although, satefy cars and other variables will obviously effect this.

Some may say the RB is still sandbagging it's true pace. However, I don't know if I buy that as they are often competing for the win so are unlikely to just accept they will come 2nd in most cases and just manage everything. Also, it's clear that Alonso is driving within the capabilities of the car in most races to manage tyres etc. as once he's got 3rd sown up there is little point stressing the tyres, engine etc.

Is there any chance a big upgrade package could get Alonso close enough to split the Red Bulls on some circuits?
I was looking @ the Q3 lap-times & it seems Aston is 5-6/7 tenths behind the pole time except the odd bits here & there. You could argue Alonso's Q2 times/runs have been better than Q3 but the reality is it is 5-6 tenths with DRS.

Also, RB have fumbled with Verstappen twice & he had to make his away through which flatter the laptimes. On Race pace it looks like 5-6 tenths again, in some tracks maybe 7 tenths. Assuming Verstappen will be 1-2 tenths quicker than Perez on race pace & maybe 3 tenths in Qualifying, Aston need a bigger relative upgrade. Mercedes 1st talked about a 3 tenth upgrade in Imola & now there are rumours for a new suspension, floor & sidepods (virtually B-Spec Car) & Toto is saying that 5 tenths gain in unrealistic so they have got strong gains in the sim. Aston's weak area is the floor which is very basic & there are many tenths to come from there.

Realistically can't see Aston with a 5 tenth upgrade which is what Alonso will need to compete vs Verstappen. That will bring the gap to 1/2 tenths in qualy & even lesser in the race which will mean in some tracks like Monaco, Spain, Aston could be ahead. Currently despite Alonso, Krack & Fallows optimistic take on Monaco/Spain, can't see Aston ahead/making 5 tenths+.

It depends on how big the upgrades are in Imola, Canada & Silverstone. Realistically then will need atleast 3/2/2 tenths (Around 7 tenths odd to be competitive in some races) & RB will gain 1-2-3 tenths with multiple upgrade packages. Atleast they need to target 1 win, fight with Perez & being clear of Mercedes/Ferrari who will bring big upgrades. Would love to see Alonso fight for the win !

jofs89
jofs89

@Mr.S - I agree with pretty much all of that.
Just to clarify my analysis was only of race laps. I took every race lap completed so far and excluded saftey car and pit stop laps to get those figures. It seems fairly clear that they are further behind in Qualy as you say (but maybe not by too much).

It seems feasible that with a 2-3 tenths upgrade in Imola plus the fact the track characterics of Imola, Monaco, Barcelona suiting the car better would result in Alonso challenging Perez if he's not performing 100%. I agree, I can't really see Alonso beating Verstappen on merit this season. Think that is probably a bridge to far. I hope I'm proved wrong!

dren

KimiRai wrote:
10 May 2023, 09:28
Multiple sources have indicated to The Race that Honda will return to #F1 in a full capacity and commit to the new engine regulations in 2026 by partnering with current Mercedes customer Aston Martin.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/honda-f1 ... on-martin/
I hope that pans out to be true. The team is headed in a good direction.
Honda!

KimiRai
KimiRai

Dont really understand those who say this can't happen with Alonso around / or Alonso would have to leave. It was also impossible for Alonso to rejoin McLaren after 2007, or use Mercedes engines ever again, and look what happened. I remember Fernando hugging a Honda technician in 2021 or 2022 in the paddock.

Big Tea

KimiRai wrote:
10 May 2023, 21:27
Dont really understand those who say this can't happen with Alonso around / or Alonso would have to leave. It was also impossible for Alonso to rejoin McLaren after 2007, or use Mercedes engines ever again, and look what happened. I remember Fernando hugging a Honda technician in 2021 or 2022 in the paddock.
Alonso is not likely to be there in 3 years time, but even if he is, it could still be the best publicity for Honda.

Look, the guy that slagged us loves us now, we do our best to please our customers :mrgreen:

Something that occurred to me is would Wolff have any involvement? Do I recall him buying 5% of either the team or the company? He may want to move on by this time.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Big Tea wrote:
10 May 2023, 22:47
KimiRai wrote:
Alonso is not likely to be there in 3 years time, but even if he is, it could still be the best publicity for Honda.

Look, the guy that slagged us loves us now, we do our best to please our customers :mrgreen:

Something that occurred to me is would Wolff have any involvement? Do I recall him buying 5% of either the team or the company? He may want to move on by this time.
He may not drive by that time, but Krack has said the parnership could extend beyond driving, so it's likely that Honda will have to make due with Alonso being on the team either way.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

KimiRai wrote:
10 May 2023, 22:49
Big Tea wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

He may not drive by that time, but Krack has said the parnership could extend beyond driving, so it's likely that Honda will have to make due with Alonso being on the team either way.
2025 could be Alonso’s last F1 season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The Prodigy wrote:
10 May 2023, 22:52
KimiRai wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I think Norris would be logical to replace him. Assuming Mclaren continue to struggle.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2023, 22:58
The Prodigy wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

I think Norris would be logical to replace him. Assuming Mclaren continue to struggle.
This will play out next year...Alonso's might look for another 2 year contract then. He'll either get it or not.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
11 May 2023, 02:28
AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2023, 22:58
The Prodigy wrote:

This will play out next year...Alonso's might look for another 2 year contract then. He'll either get it or not.
I think it goes without saying that IF Alonso wants to stay, he'll stay. Remember Aston was prepared to keep Vettel who arguably wasn't even driving as well.

The "problem" is Alonso. There were rumors that this was his "last contract" by his own choice.

If Alonso chooses to leave, that's why I bring up Norris.