2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

From '14 I remember
- Rosberg's missed chance at the start,
- poor tyre choice,
- Vergne on Magnussen;
[no chance for all that now which leaves us with:]
- great camera shots at the long high speed corner,
- boredom.

Hopefully FOM can spice up the show with shots of clouds passing by instead of showing Mercedes and Ferrari.

TAG

Can't hardly wait.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

So many things I'd like to say about the two men in that photo, sadly I think the moderators would ban me if I did! :lol:
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
So many things I'd like to say about the two men in that photo, sadly I think the moderators would ban me if I did! :lol:
I'd say take it the caption competition thread? As long as it is in a humoristic context of course.

Btw, I have jedi mind tricks so let's see what you were thinki-ehhh? What?

#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

This circuit reminds me of Valencia Street circuit, but only in Russia.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
Moose wrote:Worst... Circuit... Ever...
More than half of the circuits on the calendar qualify for your statement. To me though, Monaco is the most boring, accident prone, no value for money circuit. Just because it is old, it can't be precious. I would take Sochi anyday in exchange of Australia, Monaco, Singapore, Hungary, Valencia and Barcelona.
You cant be serious. At least Monaco has different corners and a very nice track to drive. Ok, the races can be boring if it not rains but at least is better than this compillation of 90 degrees corners.

I hope the softer tyres can help a Little bit. Is there any chance of rain?

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
Moose wrote:Worst... Circuit... Ever...
More than half of the circuits on the calendar qualify for your statement. To me though, Monaco is the most boring, accident prone, no value for money circuit. Just because it is old, it can't be precious. I would take Sochi anyday in exchange of Australia, Monaco, Singapore, Hungary, Valencia and Barcelona.
You cant be serious. At least Monaco has different corners and a very nice track to drive. Ok, the races can be boring if it not rains but at least is better than this compillation of 90 degrees corners.

I hope the softer tyres can help a Little bit. Is there any chance of rain?
I am very serious: "worst ever"? I remember similar sentiments before Hungary. This time it's worse: not bad conclusions but based on one race on wrong tyres. We'll see but why would a smooth surface, limited stops and tyres that last forever be bad? That's classic F1. Track is better than Singapore (long corner) and if they turn it into night race there may be some practice/temperature uncertainty. It can be as "exciting" as Suzuka if much quicker cars start behind slow McLarens or Saubers

TAG

You are quite the contrarian iotar, two differing opinions on the same subject within a few posts of one another. Look deep within yourself... couldn't you say that any circuit, with rain, night race, differing temperatures, an earth quake, an alien abduction could be exciting too?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jordan44

iotar__ wrote:From '14 I remember
- Rosberg's missed chance at the start,
- poor tyre choice,
- Vergne on Magnussen;
[no chance for all that now which leaves us with:]
- great camera shots at the long high speed corner,
- boredom.
- Putin arrived late after no one from the F1 circus thought it was a good idea to tell him the race start time.
- It was boredom last year annyway.

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote: I am very serious: "worst ever"? I remember similar sentiments before Hungary. This time it's worse: not bad conclusions but based on one race on wrong tyres. We'll see but why would a smooth surface, limited stops and tyres that last forever be bad? That's classic F1. Track is better than Singapore (long corner) and if they turn it into night race there may be some practice/temperature uncertainty. It can be as "exciting" as Suzuka if much quicker cars start behind slow McLarens or Saubers
Hungary is in general a boring track/trace with some exceptions, mainly when it rains.

This track reminds me Valencia, a boring and uninspired track with no interesting corners. Could it bring us a great race? well after Valencia 2012 I believe if it is posible, but not very likeable.

Lets see if softer tyres can improve it, but these are not 2012´s tyres so I have no great expecations. A safety car(like in Singapure or Monaco) can bring us some emotion, and rain of course.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i remember sochi last year was so boring that i fell asleep watching it [literally] and then woke up mid-race and noticed it was still super boring and then i went and googled pictures of lee mckenzie and natalie pinkham to see which one i think would win in a f1 reporter battle and realised natalie pinkham is the 100% clear winner.

it was way more exciting than the actual sochi race. i'm expecting the same this year.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach
Sevach

You know, usually when TV directors cut from the race to "celebrities" it drives me mad.

Last years race broke every record with it's extensive coverage of Putin's arrival, his conversations with Bernie and yet... nothing, it's like there wasn't a race going on so dull it was.

f1316
f1316

But let's be honest: the track doesn't usually 'make' the race. What was the consensus on spa and Suzuka as circuits? Great, right? But were the races particularly entertaining? No.

What makes a race really entertaining more often than not is the winner being somewhat in doubt for much of the race. Now, of course we can say that watching two close rivals going through eau rouge is better than some 90 degree corner at Valencia. But, as has been mentioned, when you have a somewhat out of position alonso coming through the field and the runaway leader suddenly dropping out, you end up with a very memorable Valencia Grand Prix.

So there's every chance of a good race here, but only if it's not Hamilton (or anyone else, but most likely him) on pole streaking clear of the field. That's why last year was so boring: his only challenger messed it up at turn 1 and there was no variance in strategy.

So the race will probably be good if the picture resembles a lesser version of Singapore- i.e. If the soft tyres and slow corners make other cars competitive, but without Mercedes being so uncompetitive. Will it happen? I think it'll be closer than Suzuka but Mercedes still likely on pole.

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:i remember sochi last year was so boring that i fell asleep watching it [literally] and then woke up mid-race and noticed it was still super boring and then i went and googled pictures of lee mckenzie and natalie pinkham to see which one i think would win in a f1 reporter battle and realised natalie pinkham is the 100% clear winner.

it was way more exciting than the actual sochi race. i'm expecting the same this year.
To do this is more exciting than the majority of races of this season. I really like Lee but I dont know Natalie so I think I wil google something during the next race. :D

No more Putin please, I think he will be too busy bombing Syria to appear again, or at least I hope so.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:But let's be honest: the track doesn't usually 'make' the race. What was the consensus on spa and Suzuka as circuits? Great, right? But were the races particularly entertaining? No.
Spa has been always my favourite race track but I find quite worrying that last years races habe been quite boring for this track´s standards. Should I blame the cars or its simply a coincidence?

The lack of rains plays also a role.