2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

2014 CLASSIFICATION
2014 POLE LAP

2015 TYRES - SOFT AND SUPER SOFT

It is worth noting that, last year, the compounds used were MEDIUM and SOFT. But due to the ultra low degradation, where Nico finished the race on one set of MEDIUM tyres, after first lap incident, PIRELLI has allocated much more aggressive compounds. This would be one of the many factors that would reduce the lap times this year.

Fulcrum

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

I absolutely hate this track. Every single braking zone takes place into a 90-degree corner. Practically zero variety, apart from the crazy roundabout.

It's like an encore track incorporating every bad idea Tilke ever had, but didn't use, when designing Korea, Abu Dhabi and India.

Add to that the unsavory locale, a track that has minimal wear, an almost meaningless championship situation, and it should be clear how much I am looking forward to this race.

Rain, save us.

MercedesAMGSpy

Rain or Max Verstappen can save this race.

Jonnycraig

The only positive is the return of the infinitely more enjoyable GP2 & GP3.

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote:The only positive is the return of the infinitely more enjoyable GP2 & GP3.
Well thank god then we have Alonso driving around in a GP2 car :lol: .

Maybe the race will be ok. I didn't really enjoy the race last year either, but I also find it a bit harsh to judge a track on only one race. This year different tyres are coming along, so perhaps that will change the action significantly?
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

I quite like the track, very technical, lots of off camber corners, long straight at start making the pole man shark food into Turn 1 (or is it 2?)
Was pretty cool seeing the tires hold up like that, you could tell the drivers loved it not having to worry about a shitty compound that had to be meticulously managed or else it would detonate.

Should be interesting with even softer compounds as well. Saw some pretty epic side by side action in the absolutely mental left hander that seems to go on forever.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig

turbof1 wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:The only positive is the return of the infinitely more enjoyable GP2 & GP3.
Well thank god then we have Alonso driving around in a GP2 car :lol: .

Maybe the race will be ok. I didn't really enjoy the race last year either, but I also find it a bit harsh to judge a track on only one race. This year different tyres are coming along, so perhaps that will change the action significantly?
The races in GP2&3 were fantastic last year, it's just F1 that at the moment can't provide much in the way of entertainment.

Eniasqurku

I think this race might be interesting after what we saw in singapore. Even with the supersoft. Looking at last year qualify where williams was only 4 tenth off the pace. They should be strong again but i expect ferrari to be closer to mercedes. Overtaking mercedes powered cars will be extremely difficult considering that long straight.

PlatinumZealot

I almost fell asleep through the onboard lap posted above... This track is not pleasing to the eye. It doesnt flow.... And the turns look the same. Sort of similar to singpapore except singapore is more seat of the pants and the walls are closer in the corners.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

Last year, it was a brand new track, never used prior to F1 race. Hence, the tarmac was pretty much glass like and didn't caused any degradation. This year however, coupled with much softer compound and used up track should create more degradation. Most importantly, this is a circuit that offers a lot of overtaking opportunities. The pole sitter would be an easy meat on the "BENDER WAY" through a non existent first corner, offering great slip stream to the following car. Nico overdid it last year, but otherwise it would be good to start at P2.

The compounds are the same as that were used in Singapore and should be interesting to see how they behave on Mercedes cars.

Moose

Worst... Circuit... Ever...

It's impossible to identify any of the corners, because they're all just black tarmac, 90°, white crash barriers right up against a too-wide track.

I honestly can't ever remember the layout of the second half of the circuit, because I get bored half way through any on-boards, and my brain tunes out. It's a wonder we don't see more crashes out of sheer boredom.

The one hope is that with this being a 90° corner circuit like Singapore, we might see Merc compromised again. My bet though is that a) it's slightly different due to higher speeds, and lower kerbs, and b) Merc fully understand what they did wrong at Singapore and would get it right(er) now anyway.

GPR-A duplicate2

Moose wrote:Worst... Circuit... Ever...
More than half of the circuits on the calendar qualify for your statement. To me though, Monaco is the most boring, accident prone, no value for money circuit. Just because it is old, it can't be precious. I would take Sochi anyday in exchange of Australia, Monaco, Singapore, Hungary, Valencia and Barcelona.

SiLo

GPR-A wrote:
Moose wrote:Worst... Circuit... Ever...
More than half of the circuits on the calendar qualify for your statement. To me though, Monaco is the most boring, accident prone, no value for money circuit. Just because it is old, it can't be precious. I would take Sochi anyday in exchange of Australia, Monaco, Singapore, Hungary, Valencia and Barcelona.
The races at Hungary for the last few years have been very entertaining. I agree with the others, but I do enjoy watching the racing at Australia, even though it's difficult to overtake, its an old circuit with not many tarmac run offs which is nice.
Felipe Baby!

f1316

GPR-A wrote:Last year, it was a brand new track, never used prior to F1 race. Hence, the tarmac was pretty much glass like and didn't caused any degradation. This year however, coupled with much softer compound and used up track should create more degradation. Most importantly, this is a circuit that offers a lot of overtaking opportunities. The pole sitter would be an easy meat on the "BENDER WAY" through a non existent first corner, offering great slip stream to the following car. Nico overdid it last year, but otherwise it would be good to start at P2.

The compounds are the same as that were used in Singapore and should be interesting to see how they behave on Mercedes cars.
Wow, exactly what I was going to say :)

Mercedes have, since Singapore, noted how it was also kinda their worst track last year, when other teams closed up in quali. The same is true here, as bottas actually had a chance at pole last year but for a late mistake.

The change of tyres should also add to this, although there is a lot more full throttle in socchi than Singapore it should be noted.

F1NAC

Well prepare yourself for some Putin promo footage..... That's all I remember from last year