2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

Because when tire wear becomes an issue they suffer more than others, probably done to get better tire life since the car has decent pace.
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
GPR-A wrote:I hope it is going to be a wet weekend, that would eliminate Nico Rosberg's chances.

Quali Prediction (Hoping it is going to be wet):
1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Ricciardo.
Rest doesn't matter.

Race (Hoping it is going to be wet again):
1. Hamilton
2. Vetstappen
3. Ricciardo.
Rest doesn't matter either.
Even Massa had a good race in wet in 2008. So be careful... ;)
Which is not surprising. Most drivers on the grid are better racers in wet than Rosberg.
I would that this race was quite surprising because Massa has been traditionally a bad driver in wet. Moreover Brazil has been always very tricky when it rains and it was the last race, a lot of pressure... I was sad for Massa that day becase he was able to overcome all the negative factors and win the race. I think it has beeen one of the few(if not the only) good races in wet he has ever done.

If we have a dry and hot race, could Mercedes have problems with tyre degradation?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Even if it's"hot and dry" it won't be that hot. This is Britain where "hot" is 25C. Track temp may be high but it's almost always windy at Silverstone so that will prevent the properly high temps that can cause tyre issues.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

Current forecast: 19°C, cloudy, strong wind from the west.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Juzh

This will be a very easy race for red bulls once mercs inevitably crash each other out.

diego.liv
diego.liv

Juzh wrote:This will be a very easy race for red bulls once mercs inevitably crash each other out.
Ferrari won't take part at the event?
With all those turns, even if it's cool, they won't have so much issue warming their tyres. Plus RB, hot or cool, seems to have more deg then the two upfront

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

diego.liv wrote:
Juzh wrote:This will be a very easy race for red bulls once mercs inevitably crash each other out.
Ferrari won't take part at the event?
With all those turns, even if it's cool, they won't have so much issue warming their tyres. Plus RB, hot or cool, seems to have more deg then the two upfront
Red Bull beat Ferrari on merit last weekend, at a track where they were supposed to suffer. Verstappen had a mighty stint too, so no tyre degradation problems there.

iotar__

GPR-A wrote:Which is not surprising. Most drivers on the grid are better racers in wet than Rosberg.
Not surprising you are wrong and cannot back up your theories, mindlessly attacking drivers which is accepted and common behaviour here as long as targets are right. Your level of F1 knowledge makes you suitable candidate for Sky commentator.

- Silverstone and USA '15 he was considerably quicker than Hamilton, slower in Monaco and Suzuka, Malaysia Q '10 very quick - the only other I could remember, Rosberg has been good in the wet AFAIR. Brazil was not the only good wet race for Massa when he was quicker than Hamilton, he was similarly bad/quick/off track in Monaco '08 but didn't crash at the right time
- Myth of Hamilton's wet conditions brilliance brought up every time there's a chance of rain based mostly on one Silverstone race is getting annoying. There is a dozen examples to the contrary. Four mentioned, spinfest in China '09 (the only occasion not in the best cars which helps), China '07 gravel, crash vs Button in Canada, crane :) in Germany, lost Australia '10, find yourself the rest.

Red Bull's form vs Ferrari should be interesting. If RB's aero is so great engine parts shouldn't be such a problem. All those huge disadvantages of Austria didn't turn out to be true. They were quick in the race (fine on tyres :oops: ) although relatively. Potential competition wasn't there (Williams), same for quicker Ferrari in the race (one driver). This time Ferrari can't bring Spain's third sector type of excuse.

sosic2121
sosic2121

ChrisDanger wrote: Red Bull beat Ferrari on merit last weekend, at a track where they were supposed to suffer.
no it didn't.
pirelli, stupid strategy and maybe(!) yellow flag beat Ferrari...

djos

ChrisDanger wrote:Red Bull beat Ferrari on merit last weekend, at a track where they were supposed to suffer. Verstappen had a mighty stint too, so no tyre degradation problems there.
I wouldn't mind knowing what Dan's issue was, he surprisingly couldn't get his tires to live or perform as well as Max and past races have shown he's usually pretty handy at this.
"In downforce we trust"

Schuttelberg

I think it's very important to remember that while the cream of the crop do rise in wet weather conditions, the package still plays a huge part. I also feel that sometimes, the best outright car may not exactly be the best 'package' in the wet. If someone were to ask me, I think Hamilton, Vettel, Button and Alonso are the best wet weather drivers. I think people here are under estimating the likes of Rosberg and Massa. Rosberg in particular, because he has Hamilton as a reference who is just mega in those conditions and I don't think the Mercedes is the outright best kit in the field in the wet. Like someone rightly pointed out, Lewis caught a break when the rain did come down in the last British GP.

If it does rain this weekend, I absolutely expect the Red Bull driver(s) to shine. I totally expect the Ferrari's to struggle but all of it isn't down to the drivers/conditions.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Which is not surprising. Most drivers on the grid are better racers in wet than Rosberg.
Not surprising you are wrong and cannot back up your theories, mindlessly attacking drivers which is accepted and common behaviour here as long as targets are right. Your level of F1 knowledge makes you suitable candidate for Sky commentator.
Unlike you, I am not selective in using contexts to showcase brittle arguments.
iotar_ wrote:- Silverstone and USA '15 he was considerably quicker than Hamilton, slower in Monaco and Suzuka, Malaysia Q '10 very quick - the only other I could remember, Rosberg has been good in the wet AFAIR. Brazil was not the only good wet race for Massa when he was quicker than Hamilton, he was similarly bad/quick/off track in Monaco '08 but didn't crash at the right time
- Myth of Hamilton's wet conditions brilliance brought up every time there's a chance of rain based mostly on one Silverstone race is getting annoying. There is a dozen examples to the contrary. Four mentioned, spinfest in China '09 (the only occasion not in the best cars which helps), China '07 gravel, crash vs Button in Canada, crane :) in Germany, lost Australia '10, find yourself the rest.
Other than these consolation BS performances, when was the last time Rosberg took a pole or won in wet? You are either a man or not. There's nothing like almost a man. That is the argument you are having.

godlameroso

There can still be problems with right front graining, or if the compound is too soft massive degradation on the left side tires. There aren't any real high speed left hand turns that push the tires, most of the loading is in turn 1, copse, and the esses, which while having 2 left turns they're almost inconsequential. The only real left hand turns in the lap are in sector 1 and the start of sector 2, the only places that will put heat into the front rights. The rears never have a problem warming up regardless of conditions. I think if we see the sun, the hard tire can be a good race tire, otherwise, easy two stop, maybe 3. What are the mandatory race compounds?
Saishū kōnā

diego.liv
diego.liv

Since Ferrari's struggles in Austria were due to cooler conditions, ceteris paribus the more downforce needed in UK should suite Ferrari better, compensating the straight-line speeds with flexy rear wing. Of memory serves me right, RB is the one having higher tyre deg (ok maybe the analysis pre-upgrade, before Spain, is indicative, less power=less stress, slip...=less deg).
If it's warmer then expected, Merc,Ferr---RB

diego.liv
diego.liv

Mandatory either the medium or hard.
Btw I thought hard and soft were very similar except for compound, so in cooler conditions (Canada, Austria) soft is better, is hard better in hot too?