Fisico lost driving license

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Venom
Venom

I swear it was Martin Brundle who (At Sepang I think) this year went to cars parking area and pointed out Alonso's and Fisio's renualts, Michael's maserati and few other cars.

It was on ITV, few minutes before the race.

So he probably got his licence back, I doubt he'd drive without one and risk bad publicity.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Reca
Reca

Tom wrote: I agree with all the speed limits in Britain because, lets face it, it is very hard to drive a car at any speed if you do it right.
That’s the crucial point indeed, most of people don’t have the perception of car limits, and most important, of their own limits, at high speed and that’s the main cause of most of accidents. You can’t imagine how many ricers I saw coming here from everywhere in Europe wanting to drive their “fast & furious” like cars on the track, fully convinced they were the best drivers ever, just to plant the car on the wall at the first corner.

The most revealing example is for me braking because as much as people know from driving school that braking distance increases way more than linearly with speed, they rarely experience it so also at high speed they are convinced there’s lot in reserve in term of braking potential; when a very hard braking at high speed is required they aren’t prepared for it and the usual result is a crash.
I talk by personal experience because that’s exactly what impressed me the most the first time I made laps on the track, with road car, as passenger with a professional driver at the wheel. It was about 10 years ago, I was 18-19 at the time, and the car was a Fiat Coupe 2.0 turbo, not fastest car ever but with an excellent Brembo braking system, lot better than average. After a few corners at slow pace he started to push hard at Lesmo 2 exit down to Ascari, we were going at about 180-185 km/h when, well before the point where old oval passes over the track he started to brake. My initial thought was “no, he’s already braking, he’s taking it easy”. Well, trust me, had he started just 10 m later we would have been straight on the gravel trap, he was braking very hard the whole time and we certainly didn’t enter Ascari at slow speed...
Since then I made lot more laps on track as passenger and also drove a few times myself and it always take me a while for getting used to the difference between braking on the road at low speed and braking on the track.
My opinion is that a few laps as passenger on a circuit should be mandatory for all the guys taking driving license, it would be an eye opener showing how difficult is to drive fast and the completely different world you are going in when speed is high.
Obviously that’s never going to happen because the “people who know everything”, believe that it would be instigation to fast driving and would create desire of emulation on the road. I tried it, it’s exactly the opposite.
Scuderia_Russ wrote: Have you got speed cameras in Italy and the U.S. yet?
Yes, since some years now. Obviously there are often complains exactly because you can’t know who’s driving and in the past many fines were cancelled on that basis. At the moment, if I’m not mistaken (didn’t happen recently), they send the pic to the car’s owner asking him to tell who was driving. If he refuses to do, he gets a fine (lot higher than that for speeding) but no points subtraction, if he does the driver gets the fine for speeding and the points subtraction.
When I say points subtraction it’s because we have, since 2003, a points based system. You have as a start 20 points and for each infraction you get a fine AND you lose a given amount of points depending on the infraction (2 points for “normal” speeding, 2 or 3 points for driving without safety belts, 5 for using cell phone without hand free system etc etc).
Once you run out points you lose the driving license and to recuperate it you have to follow an update course. Every couple of years, if you didn’t commit further infractions during that time, you get 2 points back.

Tom

f1.redbaron
Going back to topic, if everybody does the same speed, THERE IS NO WAY AN ACCIDENT CAN HAPPEN. Newton says it can't! And I believe him.
I know your kidding but thought I'd mention, its fine going at the same speed until you hit a pothole for example and your car momenterilly slows, then bang.

Also I was watching a warranty claim insurance inspection on work experience where a couple were outraged that their merchanic had left something broken on their car. The guy held his hands up and admitted he'd made a mistake and fixed it for free. Problem solved. Not so.

The couple started ranting about lawsuits at which point my superviser, getting irritated he was missing his lunch, tactfully and politely asked if the couple had checked their tyres before driving away down the M6 at 70mph that morning.

'No, of course not, why do a silly thing like that'

Get my point?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

West
West

I learned about braking the hardway - didn't get into an accident but I almost hit a curb on a local road, and my car was oversteering uncontrollably on both sides of the road. I was showing my friend a fast turn (my tires were nearly bald, thank you) and I thought I was going to hit the curb so I lift off the gas. I didn't think it was enough and then I just slammed on the brakes. The rear end wiped out and thankfully, the car started steering away from the curb. For around 5 -10 sec I was trying to fight the snap oversteer of a car.

Thankfully, I realized real cars aren't like Gran Tourismo and learned car dynamics through local karting and karting school.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

dumrick
dumrick

If the car was understeering and its a RWD, lifting the throttle to correct is very much the wrong reaction...

MIB
MIB

the wrong reaction if you are oversteering, if you are understeering is helpful to try to bring some of the weight in front of the car.
MIB

dumrick
dumrick

MIB wrote:the wrong reaction if you are oversteering, if you are understeering is helpful to try to bring some of the weight in front of the car.
No, that's true in a FWD, if you understeer you must lift. In a RWD, if you are understeering, charging the front will only take the tyres further off their friction circle and aggravate understeering. In that case you must floor gently the throttle to balance the car or invert the tendency.

In fact, this is the kind of basics that everyone should learn at driving school. These situations (understeering or oversteering) don't happen only with carelessness, but can be caused by sudden change in road surface conditions and I'm sure that over 90% of drivers (including me!:P ) aren't trained to react in the correct way, given the vehicle they have in hands.

MIB
MIB

Well, i dont know if it works for everyone, but being a RWD driver most of the time i can say that when the car is going too straight (understeering) if you lift your (right) foot a little off the gas pedal the weight goes to the front making it turn easier and loosening the rear making it oversteer a little. When the car gets the angle again you can push the gas.
Last edited by MIB on 18 Apr 2006, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
MIB

Tom

Autotesting has taught me a little about car control, most reacently I was on loose gravel, about 40mph (fast for autotesting) and I braked for a 'roundabout' suddenly the front of the car got really loose and I could turn the steering a turn either way with no effect. I made the corner but lost about 8s going wide. If I didn't have run off I would have really been in the shi*.

Also driving a front wheel drive I learnt that when you oversteer or slide sideways the best option is to floor the accelerator and let the car pull itself out of trouble. There is a little technique to it and I'll add that it can and must not be done in a RWD because you will almost certainly end up facing backwards. Also make sure you have run off or you won't make it.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

MIB
MIB

You can drive RWD with the heart, but FWD with the head.
MIB