McLaren MP4-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
m3_lover

Re: New McLaren MP4-23

The Bridge wing is missing, I suspect that they have a new version coming for Australia and don't want any teams seeing it before Australia.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Saribro
Saribro

So:
- the nose is a little higher (which makes the front wing supports kinda ugly) and more gentle sloping sides.
- some work around the snorkle with different pillars and some guidevanes
- T-wings are pretty different with endplates on both sides instead of the previous support-flowing-into-plane + only bottom part of the outside endplate

That's about all I can make out with certainty from the pretty crappy pics I've seen so far.

bar555
bar555

modbaraban wrote ;
So nice to see you back, bar555!
I really never left the forum (only made a long pit stop from posting :lol: ) ,

just did not have any important news to add or a valuable comment to make .

2008 has started so my new 2008 comparison posts , enjoy .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

modbaraban
modbaraban

m3_lover wrote:The Bridge wing is missing, I suspect that they have a new version coming for Australia and don't want any teams seeing it before Australia.

:lol:

Principessa

New development blogs are online :wink: ! Check them out

manchild
manchild

bar555 wrote:Any link with high-res images of MP4-23 :?:

Any help will help me to prepare my new 2008 photo comparisons posts .
http://www.f1-site.com/wallpapers/2008/ ... mp4_23.jpg

m3_lover

modbaraban wrote:
m3_lover wrote:The Bridge wing is missing, I suspect that they have a new version coming for Australia and don't want any teams seeing it before Australia.

The other pictures I have seen show no bridge wing, so that was my mistake.
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

m3_lover

astsmtl

m3_lover wrote:
modbaraban wrote:

The other pictures I have seen show no bridge wing, so that was my mistake.
modbaraban just continues to fool us! :D

modbaraban
modbaraban

I thought the TF107 upper plane should fit well since the nosecone is higher now :)

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

No-one seems to have mentioned the low-key role Ron Dennis had at the launch of the new car, apart from http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64557

Anyone got any further news about this? Scarbs were you there? Cheers
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

waynes
waynes

no pictures from valencia yet?

scarbs
scarbs

Yes I was at the launch, the whole event was low key but the team were very open. Ron was quie,t he arrived with Bernie and Norbert (in spec savers glasses..!) had a short speech and left the Daimler boss do the rest of the chat. In the interviews it was only Whitmarsh, Ron looked on from a distance but wasn’t involved…

I got to have along chat with Paddy Lowe, first time I’ve met him and he’s a real nice guy.

As far as the car here are the key points

Longer wheel base created by longer gearbox

New nose, raised unlike recent Mac designs.

New forward bargeboards, no longer merged into the keel area.

Main bargeboards have the axe heads neatly integrated into the board.

No electronics socket by the side of the monocoque

Pod wings form part of the sidepod inlet, its all very twisted and integrated in this area.

Roll hoop deeply undercut, with very little structure forward of the rear bulkhead. The coved sections are structural , while the thinner sections at the front are solely for the two hoop. Paddy said all this didn’t add weight

The engine cover spine is really thin the dimensional fins are much bigger than the MP4-22

Cokebottle a little slimmer, not much scope left for any more slimming nowadays

Old diffuser still in place

Keir

Bridge wing is on for the shakedown.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/7923

Saribro
Saribro

Hmm, mirror supports seem different from last year.
Also, the front part of the monocoque now slants inwards top to bottom, as last year's Williams and Toyota. IIRC, the MP4-22 wasn't like that.