2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lewishamilton90
lewishamilton90

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

(http://www.blogf1.it/2015/05/07/ferrari ... arrivabene :It will be almost a SF15-T bis, equal only in the nose. Waiting for the verdict of the trial, we are confident in a significant improvement

lewishamilton90
lewishamilton90

(http://www.blogf1.it/2015/05/07/ferrari ... arrivabene :It will be almost a SF15-T bis, equal only in the nose. Waiting for the verdict of the trial, we are confident in a significant improvement

condor
condor

Lewis has actually learnt from Nico this year for qualifying. Nico is very good at optimising the settings of the car for each and every corner for qualifying. He uses practise sessions, especially P3, to tune the diff and brake balance settings, braking points, braking shape, lines and throttle application based on grip levels in P3. Then he and his engineers make an estimation for small track evolution and temperature changes for qualifying and then he continues to fine tune this during qualifying sessions. i.e they work out a very close baseline based on practise session and then tune that according to the conditions at the time. There is a lot of data that can be gathered about track friction co-efficients etc based on suspension loads etc. The big advantage for qualifying is that other variables that come up during race day are minimised, such as fuel weight going down, which changes car balance; taking different lines to keep maximum possible speed without damaging tyres while in another car's dirty air; changing braking points, braking shape, lines and throttle input to conserve fuel as required or alternatively push when required.

In 2014, while Lewis also played around with settings during qualifying, he never optimised it to this level. Instead he drove qualifying closer to how he drives race day. By the feedback from the steering wheel and by the seat of his pants.

Come race day, the seat of the pants style worked better for Lewis as the track evolution changes rapidly, fuel levels go down, car balance changes, comes across traffic, managing fuel etc. So all memorised set parameters for each corner that Nico held for qualifying was of no advantage and in fact a hindrance as he had prepared the weekend relying more on settings and memorising than feeling the car.

This year it seems Lewis has realised this and his qualifying has improved but what is noticeable is that he is far more active on the steering wheel during qualifying. He is doing what Nico is doing, changing brake balance and diff settings for each corner. Come race day, he can still drive his natural seat of the pants style.

Only time will tell but I think qualifying will be close this year, provided both drivers get their practise sessions in each race weekend without problems. I think Nico will edge out Lewis in qualifying in Bahrain again as Nico is very good at this track.
I posted the above in the Bahrain race thread. I was wrong that Nico would edge Lewis out in qualifying at the last race, but it seems that I was on the mark with the reason behind Lewis improving in qualifying http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118817
Qualifying has undoubtedly given Hamilton the platform to push for a third world title this season, and he concedes it is an area where he looked to improve, particularly after being outperformed by Rosberg over one lap in 2014.

"I've been a little bit more diligent in understanding the switch changes and all the different things you do throughout a lap."

iotar__

condor wrote:long post above
Here we go again (one post only) ;-) Is this kind of re-writing of history as a knee jerk reaction to the fact that the fastest/most naturally talented driver was simply outpaced in qualifying in 2014 necessary? Especially when he won overall and is faster in 2015. Why not give a credit to the other driver for nailing Q like in Suzuka? He was slower because he "didn't optimise settings", and drove "by the seat of his pants"? As opposed to what, all seasons before that? What a load of one driver-centric BS, who buys those tailor-made to demography theories? Button wasn't fast enough over one lap and Kova didn't get the chance. It's the ninth and tenth season in F1 for them, they know the tracks and their own style inside-out. Nothing about fuel in races (I'd like to stress: not detached from a driver and only as one of the elements)? Why didn't he learn it all from Rosberg after 2013 or during 2014?

Ferrari supposedly firing Rivola is more interesting. Did he laugh at Arrivabene behind his back?

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote: Ferrari supposedly firing Rivola is more interesting. Did he laugh at Arrivabene behind his back?
I figured out, why Rivola has been fired. :lol:

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

iotar__ wrote:
condor wrote:long post above
Here we go again (one post only) ;-) Is this kind of re-writing of history as a knee jerk reaction to the fact that the fastest/most naturally talented driver was simply outpaced in qualifying in 2014 necessary? Especially when he won overall and is faster in 2015. Why not give a credit to the other driver for nailing Q like in Suzuka? He was slower because he "didn't optimise settings", and drove "by the seat of his pants"? As opposed to what, all seasons before that? What a load of one driver-centric BS, who buys those tailor-made to demography theories? Button wasn't fast enough over one lap and Kova didn't get the chance. It's the ninth and tenth season in F1 for them, they know the tracks and their own style inside-out. Nothing about fuel in races (I'd like to stress: not detached from a driver and only as one of the elements)? Why didn't he learn it all from Rosberg after 2013 or during 2014?

I didn't even get that from what Hamilton was saying. He said be more diligent but also said he had no doubt he was fastest, it was just in the moment sometimes it didn't happen as well as talking about being calmer.

You have to relate this to last season, he was brilliant in qualifying up to Monaco(well and was fast on that lap ). But think where Hamilton was, failure in the first race, okay, terrible start for him but nothing to do with his driving. However he won the next 4 races to the lead in the championship. 4/5 poles, 4/5 wins. Then Rosberg cheated, we all know he did, weaving and locking up you could maybe ignore but reversing onto the track in a live session... lol.

Hamilton after working incredibly hard to get the lead off Rosberg, got cheated out of it again. He became under significant pressure. He realised that he could win 4 out of 5 races and still get screwed over. Before then he thought he would(and actually could) comfortably beat Rosberg, but one failure and a little gamesmanship from his team mate and he was second again.

This is how it goes, it's got nothing to do with getting settings right for each corner. Just in the crucial total pressure moment of the pole run he wasn't calm enough and while not calm enough likely missed a few settings changes, missed some braking points, pretty much a classic case of overdriving/trying too hard. This year he looks calm and in complete and utter control.

To be honest after last year Hamilton probably simply knows that he doesn't need poles to beat Rosberg. With all the bad luck regarding reliability, with his team mate cheating for pole and hitting him off the track, he still won. The need to be on pole and the pressure of trailing aren't there this year, a relaxed Hamilton(and frankly most drivers) is disgustingly fast.
Last edited by drunkf1fan on 07 May 2015, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

GPR-A wrote:Come on McLaren Honda, we need you POKING YOUR NOSE in front with these guys. [-o< [-o< [-o<
I think scoring a point is a more realistic thing to pray for...

godlameroso

If they're fighting with Lotus and Red Bull I'll be happy.
Saishū kōnā

wickedz50
wickedz50

godlameroso wrote:If they're fighting with Lotus and Red Bull I'll be happy.
If by now they cannot fight with lotus and redbulls then its a long way for Mclaren to even score points. Its a loss for fans and viewers with the best driver on the grid sitting in a noncompetitive car. For all Mclaren fans its just too much frustrating.

Hail22

Spanish Grand prix drivers press conference:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Juzh

PU components usage:

f1316
f1316

I wish someone would tell the drivers that engaging more with the questions and being a bit less guarded would really help the sense of accessibility of the show.

'Oh I don't want to answer that' or repeating the same canned answer over and over again is pretty pointless; might as well not even bother.

It's a positive attribute not to take yourself (as distinct from the job) quite so seriously.

Vasconia

Its too early to judge anything seriously but the order Mercedes/Ferrar/the rest seems to be the same.

As I have read Fernado seems to be "fighting" with the car all the time.

F1NAC

still no new wings on Ferrari

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

F1NAC wrote:still no new wings on Ferrari
I think they would bring new front wing with new nose.
Like Lotus will be doing. Which makes sense.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...