Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

kilcoo316 wrote:
Gary Anderson wrote: "A lot of the teams are already struggling with tyre graining here. But the Lotus and Mercedes are looking after their tyres well. They definitely have an advantage when it comes to tyre wear at the moment."

Well done Merc. [-o<

Quite the turnaround from last year!

[Although, I prob should wait till Sunday for hard evidence.]

I only found this statement of him:
BBC F1 analyst Gary Anderson said: "The two Mercedes cars were definitely using the rear tyre - there was a lot of graining on the rear tyre which is a tell-tale sign of a lot of wheelspin. That was one of their problems last year.
And that is not quite the same.

Vasconia

The car looks better with tyre degradation but I dont how good.

Its nice to see the front wing, its beautiful and complex, finally after long time with no updates in this area the team is really improving.

lewishamilton90
lewishamilton90

Malaysian GP: Lewis Hamilton upbeat about Mercedes' race pace
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106235

yener

Vasconia wrote:The car looks better with tyre degradation but I dont how good.

Its nice to see the front wing, its beautiful and complex, finally after long time with no updates in this area the team is really improving.
It's still the old front wing. Nothing changed or improved on it, only missing sponsor stickers at both sides.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Huntresa
Huntresa

yener wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The car looks better with tyre degradation but I dont how good.

It's still the old front wing. Nothing changed or improved on it, only missing sponsor stickers at both sides.
He actually didnt say it was a new FW if you read again :D

Vasconia

Good point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After 3 years of almost no important improvements this FW could be callled "new" for the rest of the season hahaha.

gray41

It seems impressive but we haven't seen any comparable times yet.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Ferraripilot

I noticed whilst comparing Lotus' new diffuser to Mercedes a couple key differences.

The Mercedes method which is circled on the left rounds the inner edge of their diffuser thus losing volume compared to the Lotus method (right) which is almost squared by comparison and employs an additional small turning vane towards the outermost area making 4 turning vanes total. Lotus also have all their turning vanes proceeding back to the rearmost edge of the diffuser thus directing the path completely out of the diffuser compared to Mercedes who have just one outer vane whilst the other three are tucked in closer to the reference plane. I believe it would serve Mercedes well to employ vanes similar to Lotus' as they effectively extende the travel path of the air the diffuser extracts thus making the diffuser more efficient not to mention Lotus' just looks larger all-around now due to its outermost edge treatment. The only element I can see Lotus employing in the future would be the mini DDD which extracts air via a reach-down duct post the starter hole which Ferrari have already succesfully employed this season.

csponton
csponton

Last week we had explained the operation of the interconnected suspension system which Mercedes calls FRIC (front and rear interactive control). The system is by no means a novelty in what was already used last season and h the characteristic that the suspension front and rear are connected and work in tandem.
Thanks to the photo photo Effe 1 Tech you can see that the system is fully hydraulic and hoses that you see used to recharge the system before the vehicle starts to turn.

Dreameagl
Dreameagl

csponton wrote:Last week we had explained the operation of the interconnected suspension system which Mercedes calls FRIC (front and rear interactive control). The system is by no means a novelty in what was already used last season and h the characteristic that the suspension front and rear are connected and work in tandem.
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... i_fric.jpg
Thanks to the photo photo Effe 1 Tech you can see that the system is fully hydraulic and hoses that you see used to recharge the system before the vehicle starts to turn.
Are you sure those aren't the pressure hoses to bleed the braking system? It looks like they are connected to the break fluid reservoirs.

Ferraripilot

Dreameagl wrote:
csponton wrote:Last week we had explained the operation of the interconnected suspension system which Mercedes calls FRIC (front and rear interactive control). The system is by no means a novelty in what was already used last season and h the characteristic that the suspension front and rear are connected and work in tandem.
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... i_fric.jpg
Are you sure those aren't the pressure hoses to bleed the braking system? It looks like they are connected to the break fluid reservoirs.

Definitely not as prior pictures have shown those very attachments to be seperate from the brake fluid system, which I believe just has a simple cap atop the reservoir.

dren

The rear wing looks new, or did it have the slight dips at the sides on the lower element at Melbourne?
Honda!

atanatizante

Once again they are the slowest in the speed trap:
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
So they roll the dice towards a wet race in mind?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ak21_rao
ak21_rao

They may be slow in the long straights, but they are the fastest through the fast and sweeping middle sector, which was a weakness of W03.

lewishamilton90
lewishamilton90

are the slowest in the speed trap but are very fast in the sector 2 because the car is the opposite of w03..is good news for the team.