Lotus's braking attitude compensator is now illegal

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr
myurr

Re: Lotus's braking attitude compensator is legal

bhallg2k wrote:Before this goes too far, I'd like to point out that my suggestion that Red Bull had something to do with the FIA's about-face on this matter was made with tongue planted firmly in-cheek. At this point, there's no way to know exactly why the FIA reversed course.
True - but I'd put money on there being at least one team behind the move, and whichever team it is should be given a good slapping.

ced381

Do we have any other source? I can't find any other article about that..
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Ferraripilot

I'm wondering if Williams presented case-law from the 90s when their ride height system was banned showing Williams' suggesting implementation of a similar current-Lotus type system but was denied then. hmmm. possible, because I bet Williams was doing everything they could to keep some form of that tech

strad

Couldn't be that it finally dawned on them that it should be illegal under the aforementioned section of the rules. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

myurr
myurr

ced381 wrote:Do we have any other source? I can't find any other article about that..
There have been a few tweets about it. There's been no official confirmation as yet but the source is real and is a senior member of the Williams team that everyone believes to be trustworthy.

WhiteBlue

myurr wrote: How can a suspension system be deemed a moveable aero device but a clearly flexing front wing is deemed to be legal. Why is it that time and again the FIA declare a device to be legal only to subsequently carry out a complete U turn, usually in the face of pressure from one or other team.

The FIA continue to be a complete and utter farce, almost a parody of themselves, where political pressure is more important than the fair and equitable running of the sport for all.
You have to understand the procedures behind the process of establishing legality. The official F1 site was quite outspoken when they said that the FiA delegate had only given a provisional opinion. And the technical delegate is not at all the final authority on the legality of a system. That is the job of the ICA. The FIA International Court of Appeal is the final appeal tribunal for international motor sport. It resolves disputes brought before it by any of motorsport’s National Sporting Authorities worldwide, or by the President of the FIA.

Between an opinion of the technical delegate and the final word of the ICA you have a long process where all teams can lodge a protest with the stewards of a meeting and that process has usually taken us at least into March and the first or third race to generate a final verdict on a development.

You can like the system or dislike it but it makes sure that all parties are heard in the process.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ced381

myurr wrote:
ced381 wrote:Do we have any other source? I can't find any other article about that..
There have been a few tweets about it. There's been no official confirmation as yet but the source is real and is a senior member of the Williams team that everyone believes to be trustworthy.
Thanks for enlightening me. :)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Good for the 'show'. Lets ban carbon brakes net!

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

hardingfv32 wrote:Good for the 'show'. Lets ban carbon brakes net!

Brian
Where is that stated?

In my eyes it is banned on grounds of movable aerodynamics. The pure function if this is to damp dive to make the ride height more constant. It isn't part of the suspension and therefore making the whole car a movable aerodynamic device.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mudinveins
mudinveins

Formula 1 cars ARE movable aerodynamic devices. These regs are nothing but bullcrap...

WhiteBlue

http://www.pitpass.com/45499-Exclusive- ... ion-banned
Matt Coch wrote:A communication from the governing body to all teams on Friday confirmed that the system has been banned, stating that it relies on a change in length of a suspension member, including those that use the movement of the brake caliper, contravened the Technical Regulations.
It sounds like the ban was based on 10.2.3:
10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to the suspension system while the car is in motion.
Probably a team put in a protest (possibly even Williams in order to catch up to Lotus) using exactly the one paragraph which we had identified as critical.

viewtopic.php?p=297454#p297454
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ak21_rao
ak21_rao

Thats strange....coz its said that Lotus developed this system only after confirming with FIA with its legality. FIA can't ban it.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
Ian P. wrote:My guess is we will see this widely used in 2012 and banned in the future.
It certainly is one possible outcome. On the other hand clever suspension development is something most top teams and the FiA support. Movable aero devices were prohibited as well and now we have DRS. It can also end with some of the more restrictive suspension paragraphs being deleted. I don't think that powered devices will be allowed in 2013, but connected hydraulics operated on parasitic power and controlled by inertial forces should be something that may have a future.

I could even think that powered devices will return in some shape or form in some years time. If they want to be more energy efficient - as the PTB want - they need to exploit ground effect more. The teams are reluctant to move to a tunnel configuration so a step between could be stepped floors with active ride height of some form.

From 2015 the FiA/F1commission always has the option to reduce power further by tighter restriction of the fuel limit. That way they gain some lee way for performance enhancing suspension systems that was not available in 1993. So depending of the political debate we could see a lot more of this.
Well WB, it seems that your crystal ball got things wrong this time, or did you just hedge your bets?

Anyway, this only goes to show what little influence poor Charlie Whiting has in the big picture, this is not the first time his nod has been reversed, often for political reasons. Remember Renault's mass-damper in 2005 and 2006, that was run legally for about a year until MrM decided that it left MS's Ferrari too far behind, why he decided to ban it overnight.

I bet MrE's old spannerman wasn't even consulted on that one.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr.S
Mr.S

This is stupid. FIA & their load tests allow Front Wings flexing all over the place & een touching the ground. But they don't allow this.

FIA are behaving very pro-RBR & Mclaren. Sticking with what helps them. Even with the EBD they were the 2 teams which profited the most

andartop
andartop

The FIA is the FIA. Teams should know better by now and just quit wasting money on developing anything new, just go with the flow and maintain the current order. Except Red Bull. Vettel for 2012 hat trick anyone??? :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft