2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

justmoi
justmoi

Juzh wrote:
justmoi wrote:
Juzh wrote:On the other note, 36.7 is quite slow. mid 35s for pole I'd say.
Hows 1.34.9s for ya? :)
34.999, but yeah. Tbh i had low 35s in mind initially but merc sandbagged a bit higher than usual in FPs.
They surprise us all now and then buddy.

[Wow theres no smiley for thumbs up.. or am i missing something?? That is weird]

ivano179
ivano179

Hello. This is my first post, but I follow this forum for years.

What do you guys think? Can we have another barcelona from mercedes drivers at a first few corners?

If Mercedes is DNF, I expect Ricciardo to win, with Verstappen and Vettel secure the podium.
Last edited by ivano179 on 23 Oct 2016, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

I predict this to be the dullest race of 2016. Almost all cars are in their correct pace-wise position.

Hammer44
Hammer44

Juzh wrote:I predict this to be the dullest race of 2016. Almost all cars are in their correct pace-wise position.
I don't think so. Apparently Hamilton has an engine problem which is costing him some performance.

Andres125sx

Mark4211 wrote:My latest one!

Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - USA 2016
https://vimeo.com/188451131
Thank you for the effort! :D =D>

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:- 0,5 between Merc and RB - predictable, slightly bigger than expected
- Red Bull - split tyre strategies but rather weirdly, why not give softs to the quicker driver, the one closer to Merc? He stays behind after start + x laps and then what? Before you ask, they knew who'd be quicker.
- Hulkenberg - close enough to Ferraris.
When Mercedes pushes the magic botton its incredible to see how much the difference is increased. I expect them to also have a better race pace. If the first corner is clean we should see a easy 1-2 but....

Do you guys think that Hamilton will have a intentionally slower race pace? He could use(again) this strategy to have the RB just behind Rosberg, this could give them the chance of making an undercut.

basti313
basti313

Hammer44 wrote: I don't think so. Apparently Hamilton has an engine problem which is costing him some performance.
Apparently?
Vasconia wrote: Do you guys think that Hamilton will have a intentionally slower race pace? He could use(again) this strategy to have the RB just behind Rosberg, this could give them the chance of making an undercut.
Surely not on COTA. If he tries to play games like this, he makes himself an easy target. On the one hand for Ros due to DRS and on the other hand for Ric due to the undercut on SS.
There is only one way and this is gapping the Bulls and driving the Ric speed after the stop from Ric. They will pit Ros first if he gets into danger from behind.
Don`t russel the hamster!

lebesset
lebesset

basti313 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- 0,5 between Merc and RB - predictable, slightly bigger than expected
On which times are you basing your expectations? FP times would suggest lower time difference, but the season so far suggest more difference.
To me the problem is the tire: On the SS the Bulls might be 0.5sec away. But on the S both Merc drivers bottled the Q2 lap with at least a laptime deficit of 0.3sec. To me it looks like at least 0.8sec on the S and Merc on the S faster than a Bull on the SS.
iotar__ wrote:- Red Bull - split tyre strategies but rather weirdly, why not give softs to the quicker driver, the one closer to Merc? He stays behind after start + x laps and then what? Before you ask, they knew who'd be quicker.
They have to profit from the usual bad start or first corner crash, otherwise the SS strategy is pointless. And it makes only sense for the driver starting in front, driving with the SS behind you teammate on S is more than stupid.
So I think using Ric was a good choice. He starts better and may have the chance to attack P1 in the initial laps and make the Merc use his tires. Or undercut.
On the other hand I do not see much benefit from the S for Ves. Running on P4 I do not see much chance to gap the cars behind and he will inevitably end up in traffic. This is a strategy for the disappearing Mercs, nothing for a podium contender in the pack.
iotar__ wrote:- Hulkenberg - close enough to Ferraris.
But, as usual, surely not on race pace.
I do not expect too much. If the Mercs make it through turn one on 1/2, they will disappear. I do not expect the Bulls to have the pace to attack them. The same for Bulls vs. Ferrari vs. FI. Maybe a little bit of spicing up due to the Bull on Soft, but in the end the differences are too big if nothing happens at the start.
RBR say that ricci feels using an alternative strategy gives the best chance of beating mercedes and wanted to try that , and that ves feels soft gives him his best chance so they went with that
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Juzh

While we wait for the race:

Fifty
Fifty

Any details come out on Sainz back to back tire punctures?

F1NAC

Fifty wrote:Any details come out on Sainz back to back tire punctures?
guess what? External factor according to Pirelli

simieski
simieski

I thought I heard on Sky that it was caused by a new brake duct chafing on the wheel rim, which in turn got very hot which led to the tyre failing.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.