2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

Official Website:
http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-f1

FIA Event and Timing Information:
http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... rmation-18

Times and Stats:

Track Map:

Tyre Allocation:

2015 Qualifying Results: Click image for more info (redirect to Wikipedia).
Note: Q3 was cancelled due to a light sprinkle of rain.

2015 Race Results: Click image for more info (redirect to Wikipedia).

2015 Pole Lap (Wet): (Dry lap immediately below.)

2015 Circuit Guide with Rosberg's dry 2014 Pole Lap (@ 0:40/2:28):

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

Picture credits: Main picture courtesy of COTA's twitter, the rest are from formula1.com and their twitter feed, with the track map from fia.com.
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 11 Oct 2016, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

This is a very interesting track which combines sections of different classic tracks. Anyway if I am not wrong the first races were better than the last ones.

I would say that it wont rain but 2015 proved that its possible haha.

Nico "only" needs to be second on each race so I expect a Hamilton victory while Nico makes a conservative race.

Pole:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Verstappen
5. Raikkonen
6. Ricciardo
7. Perez
8. Alonso
9. Bottas
10. Hulkenberg.

Race:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Verstappen(because Ferrari´s box makes is job again...)
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo
6. Perez
7. Alonso
8. Kimi
9. Hulkenbreg.
10. Grosjean

iotar__

- Great opening post.
- compared to Suzuka - less engine impact (less excuses for RB), softer tyres, still 2,5 stops? Grid balance - similar.
- first time real tyre choice difference between competitors (not +-1 that equalises itself they talk about all the time) Ferrari-softs RB-medium. not that big - RB can still run softs. Number of stints and start on SS limits the impact.

- in '15 Rosberg was quicker in the wet? I don't believe it. I hope it rains again.
- borrowed a wheel, this time I'll try track on sims before watching =P~

ChrisDanger

iotar__ wrote:- borrowed a wheel, this time I'll try track on sims before watching =P~
Used to do this when I had a rig. It's a great way to experience the weekend with a better insight.

BanMeToo

ChrisDanger wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- borrowed a wheel, this time I'll try track on sims before watching =P~
Used to do this when I had a rig. It's a great way to experience the weekend with a better insight.
Agreed. With the sometimes funky camera angles and dearth of onboard shots we get, it's easier to follow a race when you have the track memorized and yea better yet to be able to drive it decently in a sim. Lets you understand slightly more what the cars & drivers are doing.

godlameroso

It's a strange track driving it in person is totally different than in a sim. The sense of elevation change being the biggest difference. It never stops undulating except for a small strip on the pit straight. The Sims do paint an accurate picture of how hard it is to do a perfect lap. It's a very technical track not unlike Estoril, where you sacrifice some speed in strategic places to actually go faster.

Like you can enter the esses flat out for example, but you'll start sector 2 slower than had you sacrificed a bit of speed. It's finding the right compromise that's tricky. The rest of the lap follows more or less the same path.

The biggest difference in chassis will be made in sectors 2 & 3. Sector one is all driver skill. Harvesting here will be somewhat easier than Suzuka.
Saishū kōnā

SR71

iotar__ wrote:- Great opening post.
- compared to Suzuka - less engine impact (less excuses for RB), softer tyres, still 2,5 stops? Grid balance - similar.
- first time real tyre choice difference between competitors (not +-1 that equalises itself they talk about all the time) Ferrari-softs RB-medium. not that big - RB can still run softs. Number of stints and start on SS limits the impact.

- in '15 Rosberg was quicker in the wet? I don't believe it. I hope it rains again.
All I keep hearing is Hamilton fans doing rain dances this season.... reaks.

iotar__

godlameroso wrote:It's a strange track driving it in person is totally different than in a sim. The sense of elevation change being the biggest difference. It never stops undulating except for a small strip on the pit straight. The Sims do paint an accurate picture of how hard it is to do a perfect lap. It's a very technical track not unlike Estoril, where you sacrifice some speed in strategic places to actually go faster.

Like you can enter the esses flat out for example, but you'll start sector 2 slower than had you sacrificed a bit of speed. It's finding the right compromise that's tricky. The rest of the lap follows more or less the same path.

The biggest difference in chassis will be made in sectors 2 & 3. Sector one is all driver skill. Harvesting here will be somewhat easier than Suzuka.
Slow sections and therefore overall balance differentiates from Suzuka. You can copy S sequence, straight are there although different, tarmac too but it's one part that changes characteristics towards regular downforce/track. Should be better for RB, not only because of the engine/tyres.

GPR-A duplicate2

After a good start to Friday (wouldn't be surprised if he has a bad one), Lewis would struggle on Saturday with the balance of the car, leading into a difficult Qualifying. In Race, as usual, will have a difficult get away and will then put a good performance to come second. Going to be one hell of a race for sure.

Lewis' lovers would have a field day in highlighting how his PARTYING HARD [-Link] has made him lose focus and how it is affecting his races.

Fully expecting Ferrari to put together another strategy circus and wide smiles on RB drivers.

ChrisDanger

GPR-A wrote:Lewis' lovers would have a field day in highlighting how his PARTYING HARD [-Link] has made him lose focus and how it is affecting his races.
Well, he does have four girlfriends now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI22qP6A00T/

basti313

SR71 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- Great opening post.

All I keep hearing is Hamilton fans doing rain dances this season.... reaks.
=D>
:mrgreen:
Don`t russel the hamster!

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote:- in '15 Rosberg was quicker in the wet? I don't believe it. I hope it rains again.
I really hope it does rain, AND THEY HAVE ALL SESSIONS GETTING COMPLETED.
ChrisDanger wrote:Well, he does have four girlfriends now.

That is just disgusting. Just four?

Juzh

ChrisDanger wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Lewis' lovers would have a field day in highlighting how his PARTYING HARD [-Link] has made him lose focus and how it is affecting his races.
Well, he does have four girlfriends now.

LOL :lol: :lol:

Manoah2u

His acting skills are hideous, but in the end, those 4 didnt care about that either. if that's what he needs! the 'hunt' is on.
if he nails it next weekend i think we know what needs to be his routine the 3 races afterwards.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shrieker

ChrisDanger wrote: Well, he does have four girlfriends now.

lol
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk