Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

I do feel that they weren't so good on the option tyre in the first stint. Hamilton was swamped by the ferarris and a chasing lotus.
It was the prime tyre that worked well for the car.
Tyre deg. compared to ferrari and lotus is still high. we now have two races where either Kimi said he was holding back and could push, and where Alonso was holding back and his teams thought he was pushing because lap times were so good.
The mercedes is not on that level of tyre usage as yet.
For Sure!!

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Bahrain - Thursday - 18.04.2013

MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

RicerDude

Malaysia spec cooling outlet.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

I am continuing to think, that this car loves high temp tracks.

My thoughts are based on race performance during the first 3 races.
Just like Malaysia, in China the track become colder during the race and the W04 become a little slower. In all 3 races, the W04 prefer the colder type of tires and in all 3 races the temp was lower than normal. Remember that in Melbourne the Merc has the longest stint with the super soft ( which is the coldest tire 85 - 110 C). In China the track was too cold for the option tires (soft - 105-125 degree). The conditions was good for the colder tire (medium 90-115 degrees), until the track temps lows more at the end. Malaysia - too cold for the Hard tires (110 - 135 degrees) Was good for the mediums, until the track become colder again.

I hope to see very hot track at Bahrain to see if all this is true.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Thursday (18.04.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Apr 2013, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Mika1
Mika1

k.ko100v wrote:I am continuing to think, that this car loves high temp tracks.

My thoughts are based on race performance during the first 3 races.
Just like Malaysia, in China the track become colder during the race and the W04 become a little slower. In all 3 races, the W04 prefer the colder type of tires and in all 3 races the temp was lower than normal. Remember that in Melbourne the Merc has the longest stint with the super soft ( which is the coldest tire 85 - 110 C). In China the track was too cold for the option tires (soft - 105-125 degree). The conditions was good for the colder tire (medium 90-115 degrees), until the track temps lows more at the end. Malaysia - too cold for the Hard tires (110 - 135 degrees) Was good for the mediums, until the track become colder again.

I hope to see very hot track at Bahrain to see if all this is true.
Auto Motor und Sport agrees with you. They said that because of lower temps during the second half of the Malaysian GP Merc lost performance, the car would be better in warm conditions. If that's true, we'll see this weekend.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Vasconia

Be careful, it could rain and because of this we could see a lower temperature and consequently a loss of performance. :mrgreen:

Now serious speaking, I have seen some rain there but I even dont consider it "true" rain so the temperatures must not change too much. I am curious to see if what you say is true.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Friday (19.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Shrieker

I saw tyre debris blocking the car's front wing. A mechanic was literally pushing them out of the front wing with his hand. Can they apply a fluid or a substance to prevent blockage ? And how would that influence aero ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Forza

F1 Bahrain GP - Friday - 19/04/13

PhillipM
PhillipM

Shrieker wrote:I saw tyre debris blocking the car's front wing. A mechanic was literally pushing them out of the front wing with his hand. Can they apply a fluid or a substance to prevent blockage ? And how would that influence aero ?
They already use coatings to help stop debris sticking, but hot rubber is pretty sticky...

gray41

Would it take being experimental on track to set up the FRIC system?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

BorisTheBlade

gray41 wrote:Would it take being experimental on track to set up the FRIC system?
I'm afraid I don't unterstand the question.

reallydumb
reallydumb

it seems the tires are not working well on Lewis car.