Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Ferrari F10

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Tazio wrote:According to this article Ferrari will be able to use the engine that was only used in Bahrain practice in Abu Dhabi.
Will this lump have the valve upgrade that Ferrari got permission to do sometime after that race weekend?

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...oost/view.html
One of Alonso's eight engines has very low mileage, but has been unable to be used because it was replaced after qualifying at the Bahrain season opener.

The rules prevented Ferrari from re-deploying this engine for anything other than free practice sessions, after it was replaced in Bahrain as a precaution due to the F60 almost overheating.
But because Abu Dhabi is the season finale, Alonso is allowed to use any engine in his allocation there, and the Bahrain qualifying unit is extremely low on mileage.

Bahrain qualifying unit expired during free practice at China.
For clarity, which engine are we talking about here?

Was it supposedly the one Alonso used for PRACTICE in Bahrain, or for QUALI?

Surely if the engine use for qualifying was replaced AFTER qualifying, he would have been subject to a grid drop?

Either way, I understood that the engines Ferrari had used prior to the valve upgrade were deemed "spent" and that they could not be reworked to the new spec. Is this incorrect?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Sean H
Sean H

it was changed after qualifying after the telemetry showed some odd data. I believe the only grid penalty is when the 9th engine comes into play. The penalty for swapping after qualifying is that engine can't be used in a race again until abu dhabi.

They used it for fp1 and fp2 for a limited time.

I believe all engines were updated, but I can't remember where I read that now.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

forty-two

Sean H wrote:it was changed after qualifying after the telemetry showed some odd data. I believe the only grid penalty is when the 9th engine comes into play. The penalty for swapping after qualifying is that engine can't be used in a race again until abu dhabi.

Thanks for your help Sean, but I am unclear on the item in bold above.

I thought (but happy to be put right) that once the car was under park ferme conditions, the mechanics were allowed only to adjust pressures etc, and that the FIA "All seeing eye" in the garage along with the bag they place the car into etc. meant that changing an engine was a no-no after qualifying has started. Unless of course the car is involved in a crash of some kind during qualifying which oddly allows all sorts of work to be undertaken.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Mr Alcatraz

Quite a mystery this is!!
Lets say that they are going to use it (and if they do I hope it has the upgrades)
Being that it was only run some 8 months ago will that be a factor?
And would they have been allowed to bench run that lump?

I see the link I provided already expired
This one should be good for a while

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=393036
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 01 Nov 2010, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Sean H
Sean H

forty-two wrote:
Sean H wrote:it was changed after qualifying after the telemetry showed some odd data. I believe the only grid penalty is when the 9th engine comes into play. The penalty for swapping after qualifying is that engine can't be used in a race again until abu dhabi.

I thought (but happy to be put right) that once the car was under park ferme conditions, the mechanics were allowed only to adjust pressures etc, and that the FIA "All seeing eye" in the garage along with the bag they place the car into etc. meant that changing an engine was a no-no after qualifying has started. Unless of course the car is involved in a crash of some kind during qualifying which oddly allows all sorts of work to be undertaken.
I don't know the answer to that part. Obviously they were allowed to and nobody protested it.

I am sure the Ferrari conspiracy theorists will chime in now.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Sean H wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I don't know the answer to that part. Obviously they were allowed to and nobody protested it.

I am sure the Ferrari conspiracy theorists will chime in now.
You're allowed to change it, however the engine you've replaced can only be used in FP and the final race from then on. You only get a grid penalty if you use a 9th engine.

The Bahrain qualifying unit (engine #1) expired in China free practice. The Bahrain race unit (engine #2) expired in the race at Malaysia. Engines #4, #5, #6, #7 have all done 3 races each - they will not be used again. Engine #3 did 2 races (at Australia and China). Engine #8 has done 1 race (Monza) and will be used for the final 2 races.

Mr Alcatraz

Gerhard Berger wrote: The Bahrain qualifying unit (engine #1) expired in China free practice. The Bahrain race unit (engine #2) expired in the race at Malaysia. Engines #4, #5, #6, #7 have all done 3 races each - they will not be used again. Engine #3 did 2 races (at Australia and China). Engine #8 has done 1 race (Monza) and will be used for the final 2 races.
I'd believe you before I would believe a report comming out of Germany.
This isn't from bild but I suspect it may be incorrect.
Could someone give me a link to the state of engine usage(preferably from the FIA) so I can put this rumor to rest.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Tazio wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote: The Bahrain qualifying unit (engine #1) expired in China free practice. The Bahrain race unit (engine #2) expired in the race at Malaysia. Engines #4, #5, #6, #7 have all done 3 races each - they will not be used again. Engine #3 did 2 races (at Australia and China). Engine #8 has done 1 race (Monza) and will be used for the final 2 races.
I'd believe you before I would believe a report comming out of Germany.
This isn't from bild but I suspect it may be incorrect.
Could someone give me a link to the state of engine usage(preferably from the FIA) so I can put this rumor to rest.
http://www.vivaf1.com/engine.php

Go onto the engine cycle tab.

Problem is, this doesn't tell you which engine was used at which race.

Mr Alcatraz

Thanks for the link
It says quite clearly in the notes that Fred lost an engine in China practice.
It also makes sense that it was engine #1 being that early in the season.

ringo

Alonso has used the #8 4 times. Can we assume that he will use the bahrain #1 engine in Brazil?
Must the engines be used in numerical order like that, or can Alonso use any one of the engines such as the #7 or 6 without going to #1?
Massa must use the Bahrain engine as well if that is the case.

Alonso has the option of going with a ninth engine to see him through the season.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

ringo wrote:Alonso has used the #8 4 times. Can we assume that he will use the bahrain #1 engine in Brazil?
Must the engines be used in numerical order like that, or can Alonso use any one of the engines such as the #7 or 6 without going to #1?
Massa must use the Bahrain engine as well if that is the case.

Alonso has the option of going with a ninth engine to see him through the season.
They do not have to go in numerical order I think :? .
From the link I'm using:

8 FA 2* 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 7 8 8 8 8
http://www.vivaf1.com/engine.php

I'm pretty sure they will continue to list engine # 8 (which they broke out early for the demands of Monza) after one race on #7 until they actually break out a ninth, while using engines like #6 and #7
I'm guessing that the 4th #8 is a previously used engine probably # 6 or number #7
It's possible that the Monza engine #8 has less than 3 races on it!
In fact I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't remember where!

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Tazio wrote:Thanks for the link
It says quite clearly in the notes that Fred lost an engine in China practice.
It also makes sense that it was engine #1 being that early in the season.
Indeed, hence what i said previously was right. :)

To summarise:

#1: Did qualifying in Bahrain, was then assigned to practice sessions and expired in FP at China.
#2: Did race at Bahrain and China
#3: Australia and Malaysia (expired in the latter)
#4: Spain, Monaco and Turkey
#5: Canada, Europe and Great Britain
#6: Germany, Hungary and Singapore
#7: Belgium, Japan and Korea
#8: Monza

#8 will do the remaining 2 races.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

As been previously stated, the Bahrain engine blew up in FP in china:
I am not worried," he said. "We lost an engine today, which is never a good thing, we would like to have all the engines perfectly OK. We knew that this engine was a little bit damaged after Bahrain, it was the one we replaced in Bahrain before the race so we are not too worried.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ap ... lure-china

eMeM
eMeM

Gerhard Berger wrote:Indeed, hence what i said previously was right. :)

To summarise:

#1: Did qualifying in Bahrain, was then assigned to practice sessions and expired in FP at China.

how it could be possible, if article 28.4 says :
e) If an engine is changed in accordance with Article 34.1 the engine which was replaced may not be used during any future qualifying session or race with the exception of the last Event of the Championship.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

eMeM wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:Indeed, hence what i said previously was right. :)

To summarise:

how it could be possible, if article 28.4 says :
e) If an engine is changed in accordance with Article 34.1 the engine which was replaced may not be used during any future qualifying session or race with the exception of the last Event of the Championship.
The Bahrain engine (that blew up in china) was only used in FP:s, not in race and Q.