COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

strad

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

nothin new there
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

That's because the photos I posted earlier came from them. It was a pretty informative podcast they had earlier this week, actually.

Les - can you tell us what the color coded dots on the model mean?

SpeedCity-Les

Pup wrote:That's because the photos I posted earlier came from them. It was a pretty informative podcast they had earlier this week, actually.

Les - can you tell us what the color coded dots on the model mean?
Unfortunately, I do not know. We will call tomorrow and ask that question, then report back.

FW17

Nando
Nando

wow that´s a nice advertising spot for Pirelli :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

SpeedCity-Les

As promised, here is what those dots are for...

They are not currently used, though they are part of a conceptual idea.

At a later date, the view from these dots might be available to assist your decision making in where you want to sit.

strad

Part of the survey they asked me to fill out about purchasing tickets...
Fans purchasing General Admission tickets will have access to any of the grass seating areas of the track: Turn 7 and the chicanes - Turns 8 and 9; the straightaway between Turns 10 and 11; and the straightaway between Turns 18 and 19. There are no seating structures in these areas.
If these were your only options, which would you choose?
Turn 2 Grandstand $200..General Admission $300..Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level)$400 .. None of these options
Turn 12 Grandstand (lower level) Turns 3, 4, and 5 Grandstands Turn 11 Grandstand None of these options
$150 $400 $600 respectively
Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level) Turns 3, 4, and 5 Grandstands Turn 12 Grandstand (lower level) None of these options
$150 $200 $600
Turn 2 Grandstand Turn 11 Grandstand General Admission None of these options
$300 $200 $400
Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level) General Admission Turn 2 Grandstand None of these options
Premium seating is currently available for purchase at Circuit of The Americas. Advantages of premium seating include:

• The only tickets that include the ability to purchase on-site parking

• The best seats at the track, including, wide arena seats with armrests, cup holders, and more legroom than regular grandstand bleachers

• The only way to sit in the most popular locations: Main Grandstand, Turn 1, and Turn 15

and then asks if I'm interested in premium seating
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SpeedCity-Les

strad wrote:Part of the survey they asked me to fill out about purchasing tickets...
Fans purchasing General Admission tickets will have access to any of the grass seating areas of the track: Turn 7 and the chicanes - Turns 8 and 9; the straightaway between Turns 10 and 11; and the straightaway between Turns 18 and 19. There are no seating structures in these areas.
Turn 2 Grandstand $200..General Admission $300..Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level)$400 .. None of these options
Turn 12 Grandstand (lower level) Turns 3, 4, and 5 Grandstands Turn 11 Grandstand None of these options
$150 $400 $600 respectively
Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level) Turns 3, 4, and 5 Grandstands Turn 12 Grandstand (lower level) None of these options
$150 $200 $600
Turn 2 Grandstand Turn 11 Grandstand General Admission None of these options
$300 $200 $400
Turn 12 Grandstand (upper level) General Admission Turn 2 Grandstand None of these options
Premium seating is currently available for purchase at Circuit of The Americas. Advantages of premium seating include:

• The only tickets that include the ability to purchase on-site parking

• The best seats at the track, including, wide arena seats with armrests, cup holders, and more legroom than regular grandstand bleachers

• The only way to sit in the most popular locations: Main Grandstand, Turn 1, and Turn 15
I would say Upper seats on the Turn 12 Grandstands of those options.
Here is a photograph from near that point. From that area, you will see the DRS zone, the turns at the end of DRS and across to T5-T11 (with minor obstructions) you MIGHT see the top of T-1's hill and the turn down to T2, but that will be off in the further distance. http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... %3D083.jpg
Last edited by SpeedCity-Les on 11 May 2012, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

strad wrote: ...
and then asks if I'm interested in premium seating
I think not.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

What "chicanes" do they keep talking about?
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Nando
Nando

That´s a good question...

I read that Monaco is actually cheaper if you compare highest and lowest prices compared to Austin. Now that is insane.
Not counting the hotel in Monaco. (can´t remember it´s name)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Nando wrote:That´s a good question...

I read that Monaco is actually cheaper if you compare highest and lowest prices compared to Austin. Now that is insane.
Not counting the hotel in Monaco. (can´t remember it´s name)
Yeah, Monaco's also the single richest place on the entire planet which pays NOTHING for its race and is not incurring $300 million in construction costs. I wouldn't expect it to be as expensive as any other race, honestly. Roll out a $20 million fee just to hold the damn race, then add in the price to lay all new tarmac throughout and we'll talk about where ticket prices stand at that point.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Here are some photos from today at COTA:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Pup
Pup

Ticket prices are determined by demand, not cost.

As for Monaco, I didn't think anyone who's anyone actually bought tickets for the race. You just roll out of bed when you hear the engines start and look out the window.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

OK, so..I haven't gotten the survey, but from what we've been able to gather, here are the survey price ranges. Who knows where the prices will actually end up?
All tickets for the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX are for three-day entry to the track on November 16-17-18, 2012. No tickets will be sold for individual days. The three-day ticket price also includes complimentary shuttle service between downtown Austin and the track.

Turn 2 Grandstand – $400 to $600
Turns 3, 4, and 5 Grandstands – $200 to $600
Turn 11 Grandstand – $150 to $600
Turn 12 Grandstand – $150 to $600
General Admission – $150 to $600

Are they saying here that there will be no GA viewing except in these areas, or including these areas?

No single-day passes? Really? I already know I'm going all 3 days but my family is only coming on Sunday, so I have to buy 4 3-day passes when I'm only using one?