COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

FOM just published:
Formula One returns to the United States

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to info@fullthrottleproductionslp.com.
Looks like a good venue for a fall, spring, winter race.
Last edited by Richard on 04 Nov 2012, 18:31, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed title from "2012 US GP to be held in Austin"
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar
donskar

Re: USGP 2012 - Austin Texas

Let's see if this announcement is rescinded within 24 hours like the last "US GP." :lol:

Seriously, Austin is a great city -- a high tech center, lots of money, youthful, great restaurants and music venues, home of University of Texas. =D>

I'm just 2 hours away, so I certainly hope this really happens . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: US GP 2012 - Austin Texas

Im gonna wait and see. Sounds like a good idea, but as there is no history of motorsport at that level there im gonna wait and decide after the first event.

I think if it is to succeed as a venue it needs to be ready to compete with Sebring for ALMS compete with Indy and Laguna for Moto GP and be able to host NASCAR for a roadcourse venue and also be intigrated into Indy/CART for a road course for them.

Untill is able to do all theese things, im gonna wait. The only way i can see this happening is for this to be the basis for the venues success:

* F1 - 6.5Km length
* ALMS - 7.2Km length
* Moto GP - 5.4Km length (Approx lap time 1m 45s)
* NASCAR, CART/IRL can choose what configureation they should use after some testing.

If it can have this, im sold. But untill i can see this, ill wait and pass judgement on it once the project has been completed. One thing it will have to do is be able to have to have sections where the track is exciting for the drivers, provide lots of exciting overtaking or posibilities whilst keeping the sponsors happy.

The tracks im gonna say its gonna have to live up to is Turkey and Abu Dhabi if its gonna be another Tilke track, whitch is mostly probable.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: 2012 GP New York

Bernie Ecclestone has signed a deal to hold US GP in austin, for ten years from 2012.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873

Brand new venue as well. Please not another Tilke one! [-o<

engineguru00
engineguru00

I see that as a very bad location to be completely honest. I see that as in the heart of NASCAR country, where I don't see there being many local fans interested.
Chris
UB Motorsports: Formula SAE '08-'10
Powertrain Team Leader '08-'10
Captain '09-'10

WhiteBlue

Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts wrote:We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin. It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.
Texas Governor Rick Perry wrote:Texas’s relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State,
City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell wrote:The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula 1 to our City.
Looks like the local government is in the boat and supportive. Good news for F1 in the USA.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

dp35
dp35

ESPImperium wrote:The tracks im gonna say its gonna have to live up to is Turkey and Abu Dhabi if its gonna be another Tilke track, whitch is mostly probable.
God I hope not. Attempting to match the circus of Abu Dhabi or the oppulence of the Government sponsored F1 facilities is an easy way to go broke. Also, (in my opinion) F1 does not need another Tilke track.

peteskar

engineguru00 wrote:I see that as a very bad location to be completely honest. I see that as in the heart of NASCAR country, where I don't see there being many local fans interested.
Austin is a very up and coming city "Money magazine" rates it as one of the 5 best cities in the US for economy and job growth. Also it is not at all a big NASCAR area like Dallas you go to the local cafe or high end mall in Austin and there more Ferrari's and Porsches in the lots than full size trucks. I can't wait for the Austin GP
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

peteskar

I really hope the race gooes to Austin I will get tickets ASAP
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

timbo
timbo

Strange decision, logistically. They have a race in Montreal, teams always complain that it is hard and expensive to go there. Why not try and make a race somewhere closer to Canada?
Of course Indianapolis wasn't much better but anyway...

WhiteBlue

timbo wrote:Strange decision, logistically. They have a race in Montreal, teams always complain that it is hard and expensive to go there. Why not try and make a race somewhere closer to Canada?
I believe this race is meant to be paired back to back with Brazil. It is in the right climate for that. Perhaps they find a second US venue like NY to pair it with Canada.

donskar
donskar

engineguru00 wrote:I see that as a very bad location to be completely honest. I see that as in the heart of NASCAR country, where I don't see there being many local fans interested.
Not really. Austin is a rather progressive city; you might even say cosmopolitan. NASCAR is big in the rural areas of Texas, and in Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Austin has a good deal in common with the northeast US and California -- affluent, highly educated, healthy lifestyle, ecologically conscious, somewhat liberal (for Texas). Also: good airport, great weather, lots of hotels, convention centers, restaurants, music, extensive (but crowded) road network, lots of young money.

(I've lived in Texas for 14 years and have spent a lot of time travelling all over the state and in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:
timbo wrote:Strange decision, logistically. They have a race in Montreal, teams always complain that it is hard and expensive to go there. Why not try and make a race somewhere closer to Canada?
I believe this race is meant to be paired back to back with Brazil. It is in the right climate for that. Perhaps they find a second US venue like NY to pair it with Canada.
Umm...
Yeah, that would make sense.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I sure as hell wasn't expecting this!

Although I'm not quite convinced about the idea of a major European sport being held in Texas! I wonder how long it'll last. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

madtown77
madtown77

At this point all I care about is what the track will look like. From friends I know that live around there its a great city.

Please keep Tilke away from it though!!!!!!!
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Formula SAE: '06, '07, '08, '09

2007 Formula SAE World Champions
2008 Formula SAE at VIR Champions
2009 We switched engines and learned a lot...the hard way