COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

xpensive wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Do GPs generally have 5000 paddock club tickets?
Again, I'm afraid that Cota think they can make this event economically viable by pricing and issuing tickets accordingly?
Are we talking 5,000 tickets or $5,000 tickets? Because $5,000 seems to be the going rate for paddock club passes.

Pup
Pup

$1250 + $5500 every 15 years. So a bit over $1600/yr for the most expensive seat, excluding suites or paddock passes of course. The cheapest grandstand seat works out to $633/yr. Those are for season tickets, so cut the prices in half since you get at least two races for them. So if someone throws out a $6750 ticket price, that's just BS and the person telling you that probably has an agenda. The real price per race weekend is $316 - $800 max and frankly that doesn't sound outrageous to me for premium seats.

So when you think it through, its pretty easy to see how an Austinite race fan might be interested in a PSL, even if the rest of us might find them expensive.

xpensive
xpensive

Again, what does that mean for us unfortunate sob's who don't have a 15-year horizon and just wish to board that BA-flight to see this particular race this year from a decent position, talk to me?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

Two weeks. Everyone else is in the same boat, so it's not like the planes and hotels are getting booked up.

Of course, if you're willing to take a bit of a risk, you'll probably get a much better deal if you book now.

strad

I think word is out and prices have gone up accordingly (outragously) with availability already going down...Many of these are just Motels...There is more I just trimmed it down
Super 8 University/Downtown
Austin
This modern hotel is conveniently located 3 miles north of downtown Austin, as well as a short ride from a range of sights, cultural attractions and nightlife. More
Latest Booking: 15 hours ago
Book now
Price for 2 nights King Room Breakfast included
Available...US$ 919.98
America's Best Value Inn Austin

Austin • See on map
Just off I-35 and providing easy access to downtown Austin, Texas attractions, this property offers spacious accommodations along with a number of free amenities, including wireless internet access. More
Price for 2 nights..King Room - Smoking Only 3 rooms left!
US$ 710
Only 5 rooms left!

Super 8 Austin Airport North Austin • See on map
Located 15 minutes outside of downtown Austin, Texas, this hotel is 3 miles from Travis County Expo Center. It features an outdoor pool and a daily hot breakfast buffet. More
Price for 2 nights
King Suite Breakfast included
Only 5 rooms left! USS$ 1199.98

AAE Austin's Travelodge Austin • See on map
Just minutes from the University of Texas, this Austin hotel offers a full complimentary breakfast, free wireless internet and easy access to public transportation. More 2 nights
King Room
Only 3 rooms left! US$ 799

La Quinta Inn Austin North Austin • See on map
This Austin, Texas hotel offers a free breakfast and free high-speed internet access. The hotel is located at the intersection of Route 183 and I-35, minutes from downtown Austin. More 2 nights
Only 2 rooms left!
US$ 1198

Standard Queen Room Last room!FREE cancellationBreakfast included

Last chance! Only 1 room left

US$ 1278

Super 8 San Marcos

San Marcos (28.0 miles from Austin) • See on map

This hotel offers rooms with flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi. The San Marcos hotel is within a 5-minute drive of the Texas State University campus and the Aquarena Center, an environmental education... More
Price for 2 nights
US$ 552.50
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Hail22

xpensive wrote:Again, what does that mean for us unfortunate sob's who don't have a 15-year horizon and just wish to board that BA-flight to see this particular race this year from a decent position, talk to me?

If you have fears, wait for the hudson river/New Jersey Grand Prix hopefully to be announced by September *fingers crossed*

A grand prix race behind the beautiful city scape of New York would be fantastic!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I've decided to cancel the Austin GP trip due to various reasons. But the main one is that I would rather go on a eurotrip in December instead of spending so much $$$$ in Texas, of all places.

There's little doubt that the circuit and race itself will be top notch, with a possible victory from HRT no doubt, but my flat screen at home will suffice for now. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pup
Pup

Strad - at least last week you could still get a room at the Drury in San Antonio for $150/night. It's on the river walk and pretty nice. To me, a 30 min. drive to the shuttle would be no big deal.

I still can't decide myself. I'd love to go and experience the atmosphere of a GP again, but it's a long drive to go sit and watch one corner of a race.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yeah, I'd love to too. But I figure that I might as well travel for multiple weeks while I can during college, and then attend a GP once I've graduated next year. I would fly to Austin though, the drive is too much for just a few days.

But I just want to witness the V8's before they're put out to pasture, that is of high priority to me.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

600 bucks for one night at an airport Super 8?

I think not and hope for the Soprano GP instead.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

If you honestly think hotel prices will be cheaper around the NY/NJ GP I've got news for you... hotels are smarter than that and plan pricing sometimes YEARS in advance. As soon as the dates for that event are announced expect prices to skyrocket immediately. Take this from someone that's spent the last five years working hotels.

For all those complaining about hotels, there's always another option. Buy a tent! No, seriously. Fly here, rent a car, buy a tent and a couple of sleeping bags when you get here. The Austin area is surrounded by absolutely beautiful state parks and while November can be a bit chilly it's nothing you won't be out in anyway. Sounds idiotic but it's cheap, bars are open all damn night, and you'll probably end up having way more stories to tell than just by staying in some boring hotel room.

xpensive
xpensive

Having lived in nearby PA for some years, I'm imagining there to be a few more lodging options in that particular area
than around Austin? Besides, I doubt if the NJGP is going to have that much of an impact on the NYC hotelmarket?

strad

I think not
They gouged the hell out of us at Indy and I'm just not up for lining some cheap motel managers pockets in Austin. At 64 I ain't sleeping on the ground so that's out.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Statesman, Hellmund seek public access to court records COTA wants kept secret:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... um=twitter
The Austin American-Statesman filed a plea in state District Court in Travis County on Wednesday seeking access to information that has been sealed in a lawsuit by the former head of the Formula One racetrack project against several track investors and officers.

"We want to find out what it is about this lawsuit that has to be kept secret," said Jim George, who filed the action and represents the Statesman. "I've been doing this 20 years, and I've never seen anything like this. Secrecy from the public is never in the best interest of anybody."

A hearing on the Statesman's request is set for May 29.

Statesman Managing Editor John Bridges said keeping all proceedings open is a matter of public interest.

"Court records are open for a reason," he said. "The public's right to access the records in this case is particularly important because the F1 project relies so heavily upon taxpayer money. Taxpayers deserve to know what's happening in a civil suit that could affect that public investment."

However, two district judges — Rhonda Hurley and Scott Jenkins — have already held hearings in which the temporary sealing of information was approved.

A final hearing on the merits of the issue is scheduled before District Judge Lora Livingston on June 11.

George said the newspaper did not receive a notice of the March 26 hearing before Hurley where court proceedings were sealed the first time. At the hearing before Jenkins in which he approved a temporary agreement to keep some information from public disclosure, the Statesman registered its objection. Jenkins said there was still time to file an objection.

Tavo Hellmund, once the face of the Formula One project, and his company, Full Throttle Productions, filed a lawsuit in March against Circuit of the Americas Chairman Bobby Epstein, investors and officers involved in the $300 million Formula One project under construction southeast of Austin. Hellmund said in the suit that terms for his $18 million buyout were not fulfilled and that he was scheduled to make $500,000 a year for 10 years as chairman of the F1 U.S. Grand Prix.

Circuit of the Americas attorneys want court proceedings sealed because they say they would have to divulge business practices that are confidential, said Julie Loignon, a spokeswoman for Circuit of the Americas.

Hellmund's attorneys want all court proceedings open.

"Hundreds of millions of public dollars could be spent on Austin's Formula One project, so this matter is too important to Texas taxpayers to be kept secret," said Eric Wetzel, vice president of Shipley & Associates and a spokesman for Hellmund's legal team.

Public money has already been committed to help put on Formula One racing. Travis County has agreed to pay for at least part of two key road expansions near the track.

Circuit of the Americas could also receive $250 million over 10 years from the state's Major Events Trust Fund if it can prove that it brings in that much in sales taxes.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

strad wrote:

I think not
They gouged the hell out of us at Indy and I'm just not up for lining some cheap motel managers pockets in Austin. At 64 I ain't sleeping on the ground so that's out.

Check the COTA booking portal for cheaper deals, some 3* available for $350