2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
psychemedia
psychemedia

Re: 2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

I've started experimenting with generating "readings" of race battlemaps:

These charts show, for a specific driver, and for each lap (x-axis), the time to the named car ahead/behind. Intervening cars on a different lap are coloured (blue for a car on a lap ahead, read for a car on a lap behind).

Here's a quick possible reading of the above:

Although fighting with various cars ahead for the first 10 laps, ERI spent the first 20 laps fending of RIC behind. After being passed by ALO midway through the race, there was no-one to focus on ahead, but there was RIC on a charge from behind, who then continued to charge on ahead. Behind, KVY posed no threat, but the race was on the last few laps as PAL looked increasingly like he could be caught.

What I'd like to try to do next is automate the production of that sort of text directly from the data using simple natural language generation rules.

Source: http://www.f1datajunkie.com/2016/05/f1- ... chart.html

ringo

Some of you need to calm down.
I am not saying Nico did not have a problem or that traffic did not slow him down and Lewis was flying after him with sheer unrivalled pace.
I agree that Nico had a slight problem with his ERS and that gave Lewis the chance to cut down the gap, especially with the help of traffic. What i am suspicious about is Lewis' car having a "water pressure problem" which stymied his natural progress of catching Nico in a car that was not going as fast as it should. It's just weird a water pressure problem would come and then fix itself when the car isn't really operating much differently; a bit slower yes but not drastically slower.

I just feel it's the usual manipulation to provide "emotionally fair" racing for the drivers by Toto. Maybe he thinks it unfair for Nico to have a car problem from such a lead and Hamilton snatch it away. Or possibly from a technical point of view; to prevent further damage to Nico's ERS and engine if he would have to battle to keep Lewis behind.
That's all I am saying guys and gals. Teams do these kinds of things to make their lives easier. And yes i feel Mercedes will give Nico a head start to get a championship. That's just my far fetched opinion.
So far Hamilton's side of the garage is basically in winter testing mode with all these problems.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GrayGreat wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:"Bandwagon fans" are not dyed in the wool fans at all. That was the point, I think. People jumping up and suddenly saying "Nico's a great driver" when they weren't saying similar last year or in years past. I think that's what he means.
Can you show me one post in this whole thread where anyone praised Nico like a 'bandwagon fan' would do, please?
Nothing to do with me; I was just explaining the expression as many here are not native English speakers and may have missed the point of the phrase.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1316
f1316

I've got to say - not a Hamilton fan in the slightest - but it did seem quite convenient for Mercedes that they neutralised what could have been a fraught situation for them and then suddenly everything corrects itself again.

Also don't believe they have half the problems they say they do in or just after races, it's all just a way to make out everything's closer than it is.

If Ferrari had the fastest car then perhaps there'd be an argument that the championship holds some semblance of hope for them, but they don't even seem to have the pace to challenge.

The only interesting thing that can happen is Hamilton stops having issues and comes back at Rosberg; but even then, feels like Mercedes would somehow neuter the fight.

Phil

+1. For both to develop different problems at the same time does seem weird. On pace alone, no Lewis would never have caught Nico.

I did have a different theory during the race though; maybe Mercedes, after evidently having another issue on Lewis car, felt they needed to come up with some arbitrary problem on Nicos car too? As in, not to get the conspiracy theorists thinking that it always only hits Lewis's car...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Phil wrote:+1. For both to develop different problems at the same time does seem weird. On pace alone, no Lewis would never have caught Nico.

I did have a different theory during the race though; maybe Mercedes, after evidently having another issue on Lewis car, felt they needed to come up with some arbitrary problem on Nicos car too? As in, not to get the conspiracy theorists thinking that it always only hits Lewis's car...
I was wondering that myself, we heard nothing about this on the radio. The thought process at Merc could easily have been: "---, another problem for HAM, better make it seem like they were both having problems, hopefully that'll cut down the number of death threats we get from the lunatics on twitter."

kptaylor
kptaylor

How did HAM not get penalized for cutting turn 2 at the beginning of the race and gaining all of those places as a result? Sure, he went around the sign, but he even said after the race he didn't lift and just went left to avoid the cars ahead. Accident avoidance or not, he gained an advantage...

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

kptaylor wrote:How did HAM not get penalized for cutting turn 2 at the beginning of the race and gaining all of those places as a result? Sure, he went around the sign, but he even said after the race he didn't lift and just went left to avoid the cars ahead. Accident avoidance or not, he gained an advantage...
You cannot talk facts here.
However, if you want to discuss conspiracy theories.... You're welcome. /sarcasm

iotar__

f1316 wrote:I've got to say - not a Hamilton fan in the slightest - but it did seem quite convenient for Mercedes that they neutralised what could have been a fraught situation for them and then suddenly everything corrects itself again.
That doesn't add any weight to your opinion. Rosberg already won this race, no convenience needed. Anyone seeking conspiracies: A. start with Monza '15 and follow 5 races, B. count points for comparison C. add the fact that both championships were decided (no costs). After replays:

- Whole Kvyat situation is a storm in a tea cup because Ferrari was involved. Bad driving bad not as criminal as this whole shouting suggested. Bump and then Vettel was literally and pace wise in the middle of the road ;-), hesitating too because Perez was swerving. You say excuses, I say bumping is OK like Ricc - Raikk Monaco.
- Why wasn't Verstappen(?) penalised for turning into Hulkenberg(?)? Also bad driving.
- Vettel was lucky he got away with a chop on on Perez, some might call it suicidal.
by kptaylor » Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 pm How did HAM not get penalized for cutting turn 2 at the beginning of the race and gaining all of those places as a result? Sure, he went around the sign, but he even said after the race he didn't lift and just went left to avoid the cars ahead. Accident avoidance or not, he gained an advantage...
Special treatment. I'd say he wasn't even trying to avoid anything. He could have rejoined earlier too - they should at least enforce that instead of full throttle, shortest way cutting.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

kptaylor wrote:How did HAM not get penalized for cutting turn 2 at the beginning of the race and gaining all of those places as a result? Sure, he went around the sign, but he even said after the race he didn't lift and just went left to avoid the cars ahead. Accident avoidance or not, he gained an advantage...
Because he followed the rules. If you go off line then you must go round the bollard or face a reprimand/penalty.
It's a spirit vs. letter of the rules type thing and symptomatic of the silly solution to the problem of turn 2.
Wouldn't work on any other lap except #1.

f1316
f1316

iotar__ wrote:
f1316 wrote:I've got to say - not a Hamilton fan in the slightest - but it did seem quite convenient for Mercedes that they neutralised what could have been a fraught situation for them and then suddenly everything corrects itself again.
That doesn't add any weight to your opinion.
It doesn't validate it, sure, but it does mean I'm not looking for excuses any time he doesn't win (Lord knows I do enough of that for Ferrari! [kidding!])

I certainly don't think they're doing anything to his car but I do feel as if they invent things to make it seem like the race was more interesting than it was and/or prevent their guys hitting each other.

It's just frustrating we haven't had a proper race for the win yet. Without the safety car, Australia would have been really interesting (and really close, i think) and then the next three it's all been done by the first corner. Just a shame after a long winter that we keep having to wait for the season to start!!!

flat out
flat out

guys, honda is at the top of the topspeed charts:

http://www.formel1.de/saison/rennergebn ... /topspeeds
#-o #-o #-o

is there any reliable source that differs between top speeds and speed traps? In races like Spa-Francorchamps e.g. even the official fia-site misinterprets eau-rouge-speedtraps as topspeed...

SiLo

henra wrote:
Sevach wrote:Just occured to me, did Rosberg get a Grand Chelem?
Yes.
No.

Grand slam yes, but not the chelem. He would need to be fastest in all sessions for that too.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

iotar__ wrote:
- Whole Kvyat situation is a storm in a tea cup because Ferrari was involved. Bad driving bad not as criminal as this whole shouting suggested. .
Kvyat is a morn as far as I'm concerned, Ves can't replace him soon enough!
197 104 103 7

Mansell89
Mansell89

dans79 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
- Whole Kvyat situation is a storm in a tea cup because Ferrari was involved. Bad driving bad not as criminal as this whole shouting suggested. .
Kvyat is a morn as far as I'm concerned, Ves can't replace him soon enough!
That's all we need, one fast-tracked hype job replaced with another one with 10x the temper tantrums.

They have a long way to go and a lot to learn.