2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

Harvester wrote:
01 May 2021, 20:30
Is there any chance Bottan can win tomorrow?
Bottas might have had a good qually, but he's by no means in any concideration to win the race imho.
Lewis really had a bad day at the office and so did Verstappen. I'd rather say Bottas just had a decent day,
and simply made no mistakes. Kudos for him, but there wasn't anything spectacular about his qually either.
Even with a bad day lewis was what, 7 thousands off him. If Lewis had a decent day, he would have beaten bottas by quite the bigger margin. If Lewis was in his 'zone' like he tends to be at the end of the session when things go good and he gets confidence, he's nearly untouchable. Today was a far cry from that.

Same for max unfortunately, but i'd concider for max he also had to deal more with a car that wasn't on the level it was for the past two gp's. I'd be inclined to concider Max had just as a 'off day' like Lewis had, but also had to deal with material that wasn't up to speed as it could/should/expected to be.

Still, i am fully confident that both will EASILY breeze past bottas within the first few corners unless they tangle with eachother, not an unlikely scenario either.

I think it's likely that the race will rather revolve around Hamilton vs Verstappen, and Bottas vs Perez.
The Mercedes seems stronger than the RB so i think Hamilton is likely to grab the win, with Max a confident and spacious P2. If Bottas will drive like he did for the last two races (actually, ever since atleast the final part of 2020), I think Perez has a good chance of making P3. If Bottas however has a decent race, then Perez is going to find a bit of trouble with beating the Merc and could find himself under threat from Sainz.

I'd feel like the race result reasonally to be:

P1 Hamilton
P2 Verstappen + Fastest lap
P3 Bottas
P4 Perez
P5 Sainz

However it's also not unlikely to be:

P1 Hamilton
P2 Verstappen
P3 Perez
P4 Sainz
P5 Bottas

To me, it's very unlikely that Bottas will finish P1.
I also very much doubt Verstappen will finish P1, but definately likely to beat Bottas though.

Win will certainly be between Hamilton and Verstappen.
I also believe there's a chance of Russell actually making P10.

Unless Mercedes messes up their pitstops, I can't see Max beating Lewis.
and even then it's going to be close.

After Hamilton and Verstappen passing Bottas in the first few corners, Lewis most likely will be able to pull enough of a gap after a couple of laps to prevent Max being in his DRS range, and then he can build a distance to prevent an undercut. Meanwhile Max also has to build a gap to Bottas so he doesn't get in DRS range.
Perez is going to be crucial here. If Perez can put Bottas under pressure, Max and Lewis can speed away.
Bottas then will not benefit from DRS and Perez most likely will, so Perez could find himself quickly reaching P3.
Since Perez does have the talent of saving his tires, this, paired to a decent pitstop strategy, could get Perez the chance to beat Bottas, despite the Merc ultimately being the better car. And exactly that could bring Sainz into play at the end. I would personally expect Lewis to have a better start than Bottas, and beating him into the first corner, which will see Bottas needing to brake more and Verstappen benefitting from a better drive out of the first corners and being able to overtake Valterri.

Things however could pan out entirely different if Lewis does NOT have a decent start and Max DOES.
This would end up a train of Bottas-Max-Hamilton, with Bottas being the cork in the screw BUT where Max benefits from a slipstream and greater talent than Bottas, Hamilton benefits from a slipstream behind the RB AND a better car.
Which ultimately could hamper Max from overtaking Bottas and needing to defend. Untill DRS becomes available and Max gets a far easier chance to breeze past Bottas, but that same applies for Hamilton and when Max passed Bottas, he will find himself in disadvantage to Hamilton being in DRS range, to which i don't think the RB really has a chance.

So i would honestly concider that however the start pans out, Max does not have a honest chance for the win this race, and Bottas even less. At best, Max could threaten Lewis in the end of the GP with a better strategy, but is more likely to see Lewis building big enough of a gap and instead opting to go for the fastest lap point.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Scorpaguy

Both Perez and Max have had moments in practice and quali...but to me it seems Checo is getting a bit more stable and consistent. I believe he may be able to play into pit strategy tomorrow as Bot and Ham likely hold station at the start...but get reeled in mid race.

nzjrs

Who is better with medium tire warmup these days?

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
01 May 2021, 22:22
Who is better with medium tire warmup these days?
Better is relative. Faster warming can shorten the lifespan, but quicker laps sooner.

Zynerji

What are we expecting for pit strategies?

2 stop M/M/S?
Or 1 stop M/H?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

That was one of the weirdest qualifying I've ever watched..

godlameroso

Lots of crazy talk here. The RB16 didn't just get slow all of a sudden. Mercedes qualified out of position, tomorrow is what counts.
Saishū kōnā

JordanMugen

Hammerfist wrote:
01 May 2021, 20:26
One bad sign for the Honda fans is that this weekend both Bottas and Hamilton are fast. It is the first time this year that Bottas is on pace with Hamilton. To me this suggests that the Mercedes is solving their issues and the car is returning to the devastatingly neutral balance it had last year. If this is the case, then it is bye bye Redbull.
That could just be because it's cold, and Red Bull will be faster when it's hot and they can get the tyres into the window.

Max definitely had the pace for pole, but he messed up his lap(s), which is a shame.

Jambier wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:06
Red Bull hopes are done for this year to be honest
Recall "Don't panic" in big friendly letters. :wink: The idea Red Bull are "toast" is not correct IMO. The car was still faster in qualifying but the lap was deleted after all.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 02 May 2021, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

Zynerji wrote:
01 May 2021, 21:27
Yes. The reason is Michael Schumacher! 🤣🤣
Schumacher had four seasons of marginally competitive Ferraris before Ferrari came good, plus the catastrophically uncompetitive 2005 Ferrari. :)

zibby43
zibby43

JordanMugen wrote:
02 May 2021, 01:24

That could just be because it's cold, and Red Bull will be faster when it's hot and they can get the tyres into the window.

Max definitely had the pace for pole, but he messed up his lap(s), which is a shame.

Recall "Don't panic" in big friendly letters. :wink: The idea Red Bull are "toast" is not correct IMO. The car was still faster in qualifying but the lap was deleted after all.
Hamilton set the fastest lap in qualifying on Mediums in Q2.

I expect he could’ve bettered that comfortably in Q3 had he gotten a tidy lap, whether it be on Softs or Mediums.

Merc are improving their car, which has had raw pace on tap since testing, but hard to access because of the rear instability. They’re solving that setup temporarily with better setup tools, and likely permanently with their first upgrade.

It’s as simple as that. The 7-time champs were not going to stagnate with development when faced with their first real threat since ‘17 and ‘18.

ispano6

Paul di Resta was saying this is the one track that will suit Mercs more than Red Bull, but didn't really elaborate. Due to the conditions and the nature of the track and its crests, I imagine the low rake cars have a slight advantage. HAM was saying the Honda engine is ahead of the Mercs, so we'll have to see if that can make up for it. Or if he's just playing mind games.

djos

pantherxxx wrote:
01 May 2021, 16:22
djos wrote:
01 May 2021, 13:13
Why would any team give their underperforming driver the upgrades when he can’t get the most out of his existing machinery?
Who's the better driver now?
Up till the start of the weekend, that was Stroll. Decisions on which car gets the latest major parts are made before the weekend due to the time needed to build up the cars.
"In downforce we trust"

Kingshark
Kingshark

The most interesting possible race will be the one where Bottas leads out of turn 1

The most boring possible race will be the one where Bottas loses to Hamilton at the start but keeps ahead of Verstappen.

BrunoH
BrunoH

anyone knows what are the tires teams still have ? remaining new tires?

nzjrs

Whats the odds on team orders or pitstop order (plus excuses) to put Hamilton ahead of Bottas or Perez ahead of Verstappen?