2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

That means different stakes ! One has nothing to lose and throw balls to the wall and the other is looking to come through with handful of points when things are out of line due to being a championship contender. I thought a pro like you understand it better!

And when stakes are not as great as they are....For your eyes only !!!

PlatinumZealot

Hey now. Careful how you brandish those videos around!
Nothing to see there folks these videos are doctored I tell you! Lewis Hamilton only joined F1 in 2014 straight into a dominant car and can't overtake to save his life. He said it himself. The poor chap thinks no one can overtake at Hungary!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Artur Craft

godlameroso wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 17:24
Vettel was 223kph at the apex of turn 11, just unreal.
and on Juzh's videos you can see that Mercedes is no faster than Ferrari or Red Bull, on the faster corners

They had a nice speed there(T11 and 4) this year(up some 20-25kph from the previous slow F1) but, as on other tracks, a fair bit slower than the 2010 Red Bull but already approaching the F2004

I'm expecting Red Bull to keep it with the Mercedes during the race but it will be a race of follow through and try to gain position with strategy because it will be very hard to pass. The only passes we may see are the ones where a Mercedes comes back from the pits with fresh tyres and finds a Mclaren that still didn't pit. But then, it will be a fly-by due to the huge difference in power and traction.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GPR-A wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 05:40
That means different stakes ! One has nothing to lose and throw balls to the wall and the other is looking to come through with handful of points when things are out of line due to being a championship contender. I thought a pro like you understand it better!

And when stakes are not as great as they are....For your eyes only !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pneigp-9IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSrrodmZxcw
oh deary dear i didn't know you'd get fanboy offended by this.
i don't know how one-sided lewis fanboi worship videos claim or show anything but that they're fanboi stuff
with excessive music added to further dramatize something (guess that's neccesary somehow?).

i'll remind you of the facts.

Hamilton says (many times) 'You can't overtake here'.
Verstappen in regular times when Hamilton said that overtakes. FACTS.
Hamilton said in Brazil 'you can't overtake here'. Verstappen overtook the entire field, everywhere.
Hamilton said in post-qually interview about Hungaroring "You can't overtake here".
hence the point once again in his flawed thesis. you can. there will be.

and this has actually nothing to do with verstappen, mere facts that you can understand perhaps.
also, i'm not saying Hamilton can't overtake in his entire f1 career. nobody said that.
but that same Hamilton said 'you can't overtake here'. which is a lie.

and what rubbish claim about 'stakes' differ for overtaking. you either can overtake, or you can't. #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Dave P Fanclub
Dave P Fanclub

Who cares? Can we have a "my driver is better than your driver" section to keep all this pedantry out of the race threads?

Meanwhile it looks like Vettel has gearbox trouble. Sky Tanya reckons they can fix it without changing the box and triggering a penalty.

Phil

Are you that daft Manoah? Seriously? :wtf:

You are seriously comparing a claim Hamilton made at Interlagos from a position where he was battling his own team mate in the same car, lap after lap under dry conditions and couldnt even attempt a genuine move, to Verstappen under totally different race conditions - a wet race - who pulled off some overtakes (in a race where Hamilton would have easily overtaken some too if he hadnt been leading the race hinself).

Not to mention both drivers are in very different positions. Its not about overtaking "midfield cars" here. Hamiltons race, starting from 4th, means he is facing a race against the 3 fastest cars on the grid on a race track that is known for making overtaking difficult.

If Verstappen can get past any (fast) car in an all-in or die attempt for him, all fair play to him, but i dont think neither Hamilton, nor Vettel (you know the guys driving for the championship, where every single point and mistake counts) would dare to risk anything too stupid, especially against a) their own team mate or b) the team mate of the direct WDC contender.

Not to mention that some cars may in fact be a little bit more difficult to overtake in (dirty air and all).

Verstappen is what, at 57 points in the WDC. He doesnt even have half of his team mates point (despite being the stronger driver this season). The stakes for him to drive and drive aggressively is very different to what any of the top 4 contenders are facing.

Use some sense please.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ripper
ripper

GoranF1
GoranF1

The car had hydraulic problem that is now fixed, but how can they do this under parc ferme whit no penalty?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

basti313
basti313

You can replace defective parts with same spec under parc fermé.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 21:02
Kind of OT, but just wanted to share this, as it is one of the best overtakes for the lead ever, and it was on the Hungaroring, where everybody says you can't overtake. Piquet on Senna in 1986. I think this was the first ever Hungary GP.

Starts around 1:35

https://youtu.be/AMKPJlV-srE?t=1m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMKPJlV-srE?t=1m32s
OT, but thanks for posting, it´s a nice reminder of an epic move wich is not that OT since it was Hungaroring :D

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 11:57
i'll remind you of the facts.

Hamilton says (many times) 'You can't overtake here'.
Verstappen in regular times when Hamilton said that overtakes. FACTS.
Hamilton said in Brazil 'you can't overtake here'. Verstappen overtook the entire field, everywhere.
Hamilton said in post-qually interview about Hungaroring "You can't overtake here".
hence the point once again in his flawed thesis. you can. there will be.

and this has actually nothing to do with verstappen, mere facts that you can understand perhaps.
also, i'm not saying Hamilton can't overtake in his entire f1 career. nobody said that.
but that same Hamilton said 'you can't overtake here'. which is a lie.

and what rubbish claim about 'stakes' differ for overtaking. you either can overtake, or you can't. #-o
You over-generalized the statement made by Hamilton. Phil has written the context at length in his post.

Do you seriously think Verstappen could have overtaken all those cars at Interlagos if that was NOT wet and do you doubt Hamilton wouldn't have done that in the same conditions? It was a legendary drive form Verstappen on that day, same as it was in 2008 Silverstone.

Hamilton said in post-qually interview about Hungaroring "You can't overtake here". - What happened last year in Hungary? Verstappen was stuck behind Kimi in his second stint, lap after lap. How was the overtaking not possible them? AND what happened in Singapore last year? Verstappen was stuck behind Kvyat, lap after lap. How was that overtaking not possible?

Put some perspective man. Never take statements out of context and use them to make a futile point. Please.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 30 Jul 2017, 13:42, edited 3 times in total.

Andres125sx

Nice to see McLaren chasis really is as good as they were claiming, and considering it will be a one stopper and Sainz managed to qualify behind them, if the grid positions are kept after first lap their 7th and 8th positions may be real at the end of the race even without any incident in front of them.

But then there are two fins toghether in front of them who are not very easy on each other.... Max who doesn´t know what conservative means... Lewis who will be forced to push as hard as possible... With a bit of luck it may finally be a good race day for McLaren... :D

atanatizante

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:30
Are you that daft Manoah? Seriously? :wtf:

You are seriously comparing a claim Hamilton made at Interlagos from a position where he was battling his own team mate in the same car, lap after lap under dry conditions and couldnt even attempt a genuine move, to Verstappen under totally different race conditions - a wet race - who pulled off some overtakes (in a race where Hamilton would have easily overtaken some too if he hadnt been leading the race hinself).

Not to mention both drivers are in very different positions. Its not about overtaking "midfield cars" here. Hamiltons race, starting from 4th, means he is facing a race against the 3 fastest cars on the grid on a race track that is known for making overtaking difficult.

If Verstappen can get past any (fast) car in an all-in or die attempt for him, all fair play to him, but i dont think neither Hamilton, nor Vettel (you know the guys driving for the championship, where every single point and mistake counts) would dare to risk anything too stupid, especially against a) their own team mate or b) the team mate of the direct WDC contender.

Not to mention that some cars may in fact be a little bit more difficult to overtake in (dirty air and all).

Verstappen is what, at 57 points in the WDC. He doesnt even have half of his team mates point (despite being the stronger driver this season). The stakes for him to drive and drive aggressively is very different to what any of the top 4 contenders are facing.

Use some sense please.
1. +1.
2. Vettel and Lewis being top WDC contenders couldn`t risk a tangle at the start or on a risky overtake maneuver
3. As Davidson remarked on Sky it seems Merc cars were setup with some understeer for the race due to their offs in turn 2, 4 and 11.
4. Having more race stints on soft than Ferraris in FP2&FP3 told me Merc focused more towards the race hence it explains their understeer setup in qualy.
5. After the first attempt on Q2 Lewis thought there is something wrong with the car or tyres hence for the second attempt he changed the setup just to checkup everything’s fine. Then the car came alive and that 1.16.6 lap told them the answer … so they went back to and understeery car for Q3 and he got the same off in turn 4 again …
6. Lewis said on parade lap that it`ll be interesting to see had Ferrari solved their soft tyre issue they had in Silverstone hence their focus on soft tyres setup ...
7. They have now 5 new fastest tyres for Q3 or F1 app did yesterday something wrong? Merc drivers went for 2 attempts in Q2 so they have had just 1 new SS for Q3, haven`t they? So they did the first hot lap on used SS tyres and not on new ones as the app was saying …
8. Last year Lewis won the start on the dirty side of the grid. This year it seems to be the same: Matsushita in F2 this morning got a strong getaway from 4th place when he opted for a route down to inside of the turn 1. Could Lewis do the same now?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Phil

People should enjoy Max and the spectacle he is offering. He is young, ruthless, frustrated, has nothing to lose - especially at the WDC position he holds. He has bigger balls than sense.

It wont last.

He will grow older, he will mature - and when he suddenly finds himself in a position where the stakes between points and losing them is higher due to fighting for a WDC, some of those overtakes wont be as easy anymore.

It happens to the best of them. Hamilton was there once too and arguably, the 2014 championship as the best example, wasnt won by driving too aggressive, but composed and calculating.

Its great that we have Max in the sport. But as i said previously, Hamilton will be facing a very different race today. Dont expect miracles against equal fast cars on a track such as this.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RedNEO

LOL love it!