McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL35

shinekraj wrote:I was looking at the MCL34 vs MCL35 image comparison and thought of scaling the images to a comparable proportion. On the below comparison I pivoted the images based on the tire HEIGHT to minimize the perspective differences of the photography angles and the results looks pretty astonishing. No wonder why they did not publish the wheelbase for the car for 2020.

First... Thank you for the images!

Secondly... If I’m looking at it correctly, the wheel base of the car has increased, nevertheless the overall length of it remains the same? Furthermore, the change seems to be at the rear of the car, with the distance between the front wheels an the nose remaining constant versus the MCL34

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 22:26
shinekraj wrote:I was looking at the MCL34 vs MCL35 image comparison and thought of scaling the images to a comparable proportion. On the below comparison I pivoted the images based on the tire HEIGHT to minimize the perspective differences of the photography angles and the results looks pretty astonishing. No wonder why they did not publish the wheelbase for the car for 2020.

https://i.imgur.com/hlpDZ2r.jpg

Secondly... If I’m looking at it correctly, the wheel base of the car has increased, nevertheless the overall length of it remains the same? Furthermore, the change seems to be at the rear of the car, with the distance between the front wheels an the nose remaining constant versus the MCL34

The 2 cars are presented at a very similar angle, however if you look really closely you can see slight discrepancies, enough not to be able to make direct size comparisons

diffuser

shinekraj wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 21:46
I was looking at the MCL34 vs MCL35 image comparison and thought of scaling the images to a comparable proportion. On the below comparison I pivoted the images based on the tire HEIGHT to minimize the perspective differences of the photography angles and the results looks pretty astonishing. No wonder why they did not publish the wheelbase for the car for 2020.

What's that 5 - 10 cms ?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The 2 cars are presented at a very similar angle, however if you look really closely you can see slight discrepancies, enough not to be able to make direct size comparisons
That’s what I was thinking... The MCL34 is presented with very little rake in the render, which could deceive us if trying to measure overall height or the slope of the cockpit... Nevertheless, the center of the wheels are in the same plane and if scaled to them, the wheelbase would have indeed grown over previous year...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Love that picture shinekraj!

It seems that the car grew in the distance to the bargeboards... The distance between the front tires and the halo seem to indicate that... Knowing that the biggest issue in the MCL33 was the distance to the bargeboard area and that it was one of the main changes in the MCL34, it seems that they continue to focus on increasing it and therefore managing the air in that zone of the car.

anthony588
anthony588

This video is in youtube but we can see the car running but the sound is not good.

Pd: I'm new here

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Welcome to the forum!

And thanks for sharing :)

PlatinumZealot

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:S-duct should bring less drag.

Probably other reasons...
It does create drag (the openings for the air to enter the duct itself are drag inducing)... It does have a benefit helping manage the air on top of the noses and reattach it... If the benefit isn’t larger than the drag penalty for them, I’m sure they would be using it.

Nope. Not because there is an opening there is drag. There is no source online i could find talking directly about effects on drag. But it should reduce drag considering it cleans up airflow (leave more energy in the air flow)

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/tec ... f1-s-duct/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

shinekraj
shinekraj

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 22:35
the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

That’s what I was thinking... The MCL34 is presented with very little rake in the render, which could deceive us if trying to measure overall height or the slope of the cockpit... Nevertheless, the center of the wheels are in the same plane and if scaled to them, the wheelbase would have indeed grown over previous year...

True. Its almost impossible to get two images from different years having the identical Photographic perspective. So comparing very minute details would not make sense. As someone said height is one such thing that deceived on the first place, but the higher rake for this year justifies that. But, one thing that came to the attention was the positioning of the Roll Hoop Air inlet. With the higher rake, the Air inlet should tend to move towards the front of the car, but its the other way round and the difference is quite noticeable.

Moreover, as someone said before the Halo pickup point also moved back to some good degree. And also, was it Matt Sommerfield or someone else who commented that MCL34 also had issues with the distance between the front tires and Bargeboard but not the extent of what was with MCL33. So, it looks like the distance between the Front axle and the bargeboard actually got increased this year. The angle of the control arm points to this as in the below image.

Aerodynamically, this should be far superior to MCL34.

Sanchit f1fan
Sanchit f1fan

shinekraj wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 04:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 22:35
the EDGE wrote:

True. Its almost impossible to get two images from different years having the identical Photographic perspective. So comparing very minute details would not make sense. As someone said height is one such thing that deceived on the first place, but the higher rake for this year justifies that. But, one thing that came to the attention was the positioning of the Roll Hoop Air inlet. With the higher rake, the Air inlet should tend to move towards the front of the car, but its the other way round and the difference is quite noticeable.

Moreover, as someone said before the Halo pickup point also moved back to some good degree. And also, was it Matt Sommerfield or someone else who commented that MCL34 also had issues with the distance between the front tires and Bargeboard but not the extent of what was with MCL33. So, it looks like the distance between the Front axle and the bargeboard actually got increased this year. The angle of the control arm points to this as in the below image.

Aerodynamically, this should be far superior to MCL34.

https://i.imgur.com/nDhmPzw.jpg
Far Superior Than MCL 34 🤔 we haven't Had the Numbers Yet Buddy We should Wait but Hopefully it Will be far Superior 😬

f1rules
f1rules

Great video

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 01:03
anthony588 wrote:This video is in youtube but we can see the car running but the sound is not good.

Welcome to the forum!

The audio is distorted on this video so youtube does not claim a copyright claim
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

bauc wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 10:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 01:03
anthony588 wrote:This video is in youtube but we can see the car running but the sound is not good.

Welcome to the forum!

The audio is distorted on this video so youtube does not claim a copyright claim
2:18 on the video- head on shot. Super super aggressive on the outwash on the FW...! and the colour seems to change in different light? natural light versus studio lights..? cant wait to see the cars under the floodlights!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

mclaren111

https://youtu.be/KNC5jAA4x0E

Nice video of the launch car...

Lucky
Lucky