McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: McLaren MCL35

AMG.Tzan

And a comparison between launch and test spec! Both new sidepods and new bargeboards! Much more detailed car from Mclaren this time! =D>

"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

90feet

The vanity panel that's been discussed as possibly hiding a future S-duct outlet - is it possible they only brought one car to the filming day and that's how they quickly change the driver number?

f1rules
f1rules

im sorry, looking at different angles it looks to be exactly the same as the real world launch, light and the livery design makes it difficult to judge, but im 99% sure its exactly the same, just because they are experts challenge what they say

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:07
And a comparison between launch and test spec! Both new sidepods and new bargeboards! Much more detailed car from Mclaren this time! =D>

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1229752673630597122
Sidepod is the same... it's the angle/focal length of the image foreshortening the sweep.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

charliesmithhd

f1rules wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:26
im sorry, looking at different angles it looks to be exactly the same as the real world launch, light and the livery design makes it difficult to judge, but im 99% sure its exactly the same, just because they are experts challenge what they say
Heres a similar angle to the shakedown photo

BosF1
BosF1

f1rules wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:26
Yes, I don't see the 'completely redesigned sidepods' either. I think we are looking at a effect of the lighting. I'd like to be proven wrong though

f1rules
f1rules

and you can see the sidepod start straight and then with agressive ramp down, just like the picture amus found, its just more visible in daylight and in that angle

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:33
and you can see the sidepod start straight and then with agressive ramp down, just like the picture amus found, its just more visible in daylight and in that angle
What do you think of where the car nbr is displayed, i.e 4/55? Render and launch spec seems more indented, or deeper on that area compared to the shakedown car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

yeah can be, is very difficult to see

Xero

Yeah, I'm not seeing any difference either. I think it's just the daylight revealing the shape more than the dark launch presentation, or the brightly lit renders.

There definitely seems to be a vanity panel that's not fitting correctly. Either a temporary part waiting to reveal an s-duct, or something got damaged.

Chicane
Chicane

Weight is a big factor which cannot be made out by pictures. Midfield teams barely make the cut off while top three teams can utilise ballast effectively to improve car balance. I hope Mclaren have managed to shave off a few kilos like they have with the use of matte paint. Every kilo makes a big difference.

I know people love to talk about aero but it is mechanicals where top three enjoy a big advantage. I hope the revised front suspension and new rear suspension will help them out.

Engines will not be big differentiators and the tyres are unchanged. So this gives midfield teams like Mclaren to close up to the top three teams in terms of weight, packaging and mechanicals. Aero regulations are remaining the same and top three will struggle to eek out significant gains from their already formidable machines. Who knows we may see a Mclaren qualify in the top 5 on merit this season on a couple of occasions when one of the top three gets it wrong.
Quickshifter

Avocado
Avocado

the EDGE
the EDGE

Avocado wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 17:34
https://i.imgur.com/4pksMRZ.jpg
The more I see of this car the more I love it

They really have done an amazing job package in the side pods, Sure there’s more bulk at the top then on say the Mercedes, but as discussed different PUs require different packaging. As long as they can get enough air to the diffuser I don’t see that being a problem

Bernie's Mistress
Bernie's Mistress

I agree the car "looks" good on the eye in the same way the merc does.

I do wonder whether the slow speed corner weakness is less attributable to the lack of POU suspension but comes back to the positioning of the side pods relative to the front axle. Slow speed corners require greater steering angle which in turn makes the side pod positioning more critical.

Front wheel wake was an issue for the MCL33 at even at small steering angles, however it may only have become an issue for the 34 at higher steering angles. This would explain why in attempting to address the 34's weaknesses they have gone a step further in pushing the side pods back, undercut, size zero etc.